Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newly discovered color photos from inside Hitler’s private home

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Clicking on the various links in the original article will take you to some more of the photos, but not to the entire collection. I'm wondering also about how many of them are going to be available.

The color does make them look recent, which they are in a way.70 years isn't what it used to be. In a strange way, it's the men's suits that make it look so modern to me.Some of those guys sitting around wouldn't look out of place in my office.

Edward

Bartender
That suit the Corporal is wearing in picture four is really nice. He looks so genial there... It would be interesting to airbrush out the tach (the obvious giveaway) and show this photo to people with no explanation - how many of them would know who it was? I'm fascinated by pictures of Hitler, and people like him, looking so personable and, well, so human. FWIW, in dehumanising and demonising them the way that tends to be done I believe we actually diminish the extent of their evil. But that's a whole nother can o' worms.

Amazing how color pics lend a sense of immediacy and reality to events from long ago. Some of them look like they were taken recently.
I wonder if they will all be published.

Back when the Second World War in Colour series began, they explained the reason there was so much colour film in existence that had never been seen in the UK before was because the government of the day had chosen to suppress it, in the belief that the very immediacy and realism it gave images from the front would undermine support for the war. Interesting concept, and I think they may well have been right.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That suit the Corporal is wearing in picture four is really nice. He looks so genial there... It would be interesting to airbrush out the tach (the obvious giveaway) and show this photo to people with no explanation - how many of them would know who it was? I'm fascinated by pictures of Hitler, and people like him, looking so personable and, well, so human. FWIW, in dehumanising and demonising them the way that tends to be done I believe we actually diminish the extent of their evil. But that's a whole nother can o' worms.

Yeah, remove the telltale mustache and the ranks on the ss waiter's jacket and it looks like a happy couple enjoying afternoon tea on a luxury liner,...maybe in about 1963 or so.

Back when the Second World War in Colour series began, they explained the reason there was so much colour film in existence that had never been seen in the UK before was because the government of the day had chosen to suppress it, in the belief that the very immediacy and realism it gave images from the front would undermine support for the war. Interesting concept, and I think they may well have been right.

Hitler's home movies, also in color, with the words put back in by lip readers is also fascinating. Hitler and friends look like normal folks just socializing on the terrace to the eyes, but in our minds we know they were psychopaths who almost destroyed the world. Gives one a strange paradoxical chilling feeling. [video=youtube;eDYITcK19Dg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYITcK19Dg[/video]

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer

It's interesting that the reaction that we have to color film is the same as people "back then" had. The realism detracts from portraying them as evil caricatures. If I didn't know who the people in the pictures and film are, I'd think that it looked like a perfectly pleasant bunch of folks. The formal dinner, if you strip out the obvious giveaways like the uniforms and mustache, looks like a very nice governmental function. Probably had a great liquor supply. The pictures in the mountains look like they could be from a resort somewhere.

I believe this bunch of pics are the most recently released ones. I know I've seen some of the ones in the links in the past 10 or so years. Could they be taking their time and making sure they're properly archived and preserved? I hope all of them are available soon. Actually I'd really be happy with any more color from WWII.

Color and sound footage of Hitler, Himmler and Bormann at Berchtesgaden. Chillingly, in this clip Himmler is discussing the killing in Paris of German diplomat Ernst Vom Rath which provided the Nazis with a pretext to lash out against the Jews in the infamous Kristallnacht pogrom.

[video=youtube;BH6UyLfTp2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6UyLfTp2k[/video]

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I hope that these films will all be dubbed and translated and eventually published. They comprise a fascinating historical archive. Lest we forget, and "history repeats itself". With records like these, history can not be simply rewritten as so often happens after all witnesses to historical events are deceased.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
Thanks for sharing Ms Blue.

I do like some of the suits in the photo, but I always had a draw to the style of the 30s and 40s. Color does add a certain "newness" to that time. It is kind of surreal seeing those folks in color.

I LOVE the shots of Berchtesgarden. I visited the Morale and Welfare Center there when I was stationed in Germany and it is fan-freakingtastic! If you ever get a chance to go, do not deny yourself this pleasure. The view is phenominal. You will walk away imrpessed.

I walked the stadium in Nurenburg and Munich. To stand and see what would have been filled with people is amazing. You see the tourists walking in the fileds where thousands of soldiers and people stood to listen to Hitler, puts it into scale. It will send a shiver down you spine for sure. Spooky place to visit.

filfoster

One Too Many
I hope that these films will all be dubbed and translated and eventually published. They comprise a fascinating historical archive. Lest we forget, and "history repeats itself". With records like these, history can not be simply rewritten as so often happens after all witnesses to historical events are deceased.

I hope Gilbert Gottfried does the AH voice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou