Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

D

Deleted member 16736

I've worn my jacket around the house for a week now (too hot in Texas to even think about wearing it outdoors), and my appreciation for this jacket grows daily. It has made every other jacket in my closet irrelevant. Honestly, I think this will be my everything jacket except for very chilly days when I'll wear my incoming used navy peacoat. If John does a B-2, however, all bets are off.

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Just wondering…How long have you been waiting for this jacket?

Just some friendly advice: don't ask or talk about wait times in this thread. There is a separate thread just for discussing Goodwear order and ship dates. This thread is ONLY for discussing why you LIKE this particular brand of A-2's. For an example of what can happen when you deviate from this, I would refer to some previous posts of mine when I was waiting for my Goodwear, but those posts have been deleted.....

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Just some friendly advice: don't ask or talk about wait times in this thread. There is a separate thread just for discussing Goodwear order and ship dates. This thread is ONLY for discussing why you LIKE this particular brand of A-2's. For an example of what can happen when you deviate from this, I would refer to some previous posts of mine when I was waiting for my Goodwear, but those posts have been deleted.....

Like a Seinfeld episode: "No [fill in the particular model number] for you!

trumen

New in Town
I ll be glad to discuss how much I do like the jacket which one I ordered 8 month ago.
Trying to find out what people are shear about an experience with GW…Could not find threads..
I assume..business goes well…No e mail responds…No return calls…

I ll be glad to discuss how much I do like the jacket which one I ordered 8 month ago.
Trying to find out what people are shear about an experience with GW…Could not find threads..
I assume..business goes well…No e mail responds…No return calls…

John can be a bit slow on returning emails/calls.
Generally find it best to call. May take a couple of tries, but he's returned my calls.
FWIW, I had an A2 on order with a time estimate of about 6 months. Received it at 8-9 months, if I recall correctly.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
John is very slow to respond to email, but you have to remember he's a one man show. Does all the order taking, tailoring, and promotion himself. However he has such a passion for what he is doing, that I find it hard to fault him. When I met him, he talked about hiring some help, but was afraid that the end product might suffer.

I ordered back in November (?) and it should be done soon.

Bucoholic

New in Town
I own one of John's masterworks. I've spent time with him, and found him to be hands down the most passionate and committed artisan I've ever encountered. The upside is when you finally own one of his creations, you own the very best. The downside is that it takes time and he can be hard to get in touch with. Trust me, it isn't indifference. When you do make contact, you'll be blown away by his knowledge and enthusiasm. There are luthiers who make incredible guitars and mandolins who have waiting lists that stretch out years and years. Compared to them John isn't all that slow. And when you finally get your jacket, wow.

CBI

One Too Many
agreed, there are other manufacturers but GW is worth the wait. I only opt for the others if a great grab is found on eBay.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - you can see and read what GOODWEAR produce "here."
But read threads on other makers to allow an informed decision
on which one most suits your own personal needs and wants.

iPhone Comms

D

Deleted member 16736

The mastery of JC came to light today when I did a little double-checking on his pattern for my Dubow 1755. Thinking that the upper arms looked a little "fat", I decided to measure an original online, checking the shoulder to pit distance against the shoulder to hem distance and comparing it against my Goodwear repro. Since obviously the online jacket was minute in comparison, I created a ratio for each jacket and compared them. Online, the jacket I found measured 1.5" shoulder to pit and 3.5" shoulder to hem for a ratio of .428. I then measured my GW repro. It measured 9" shoulder to pit and 21" shoulder to hem for a ratio of... .428.

JC, you're the best. And I will never double-check your work again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Gee, I've just finished to read the whole thread, and I think I better start saving money to get one of those JC's piece of works... by the way if someone has one of those GW in good condition size 42-44 available for sale, let me know....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats