Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I took out my Panama hat today and found brown spots on the brim. They go all the way though the straw. I have no idea how this happened. It was stored in the box from September until today. It was clean when I put it in there and there was nothing split on it before. Has this ever happened to anyone before or am I being punished for something?

My question is this: can it be fixed? Is there something that I can do to salvage it or am I "S.O.L"? It is not the best quality weave (I'm not interested in a tight weave), but it is still a good hat. I like this hat as it looks god on me and it was hard to find a hat with the dimensions I wanted (tall 5 inch crown and a 3 inch wide brim). Can somebody please help me!

100_1668.JPG

100_1669.JPG

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
If its mold you can use a mild bleach solution...have your ol' pal re-iron it for you. I'd leave it to the guys who work the hats.

If its something else I'd use a lime juice/salt paste and let it sit in the sun. Direct lime juice in the sun too, but we've had better luck with paste.

I have found a really unexpected eater of clothing and hats is cardboard. Cardboard is extremely acidic, and is even known to dry out the innersoles of never worn shoes and over time ruin leather as well.

If you store your hats in vintage hatboxes, or new for that matter but especially vintage boxes, always put a layer of acid free paper in between to act as a barrier. Better yet, display your hat boxes if they have cool typeface and interesting designs on the top shelf of your walk-in closet, guest room closet, etc, or somewhere out where they can be seen...but store your actual hats out in the open on a hat shelf but away from direct sunlight/elements where they get airflow if you wear them on occasion or want them to be seen, or store them in acid free boxes when they are out of season.

Good luck and let us know what happens! I always try the mildest thing first. I never tried the paste but will remember that one. On some materials i use a vinegar solution on yellowed spots, especially on cotton/duck and blends.

Chris

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Just call Art Fawcett

BD Jones said:
I took out my Panama hat today and found brown spots on the brim. They go all the way though the straw. I have no idea how this happened. It was stored in the box from September until today. It was clean when I put it in there and there was nothing split on it before. Has this ever happened to anyone before or am I being punished for something?

My question is this: can it be fixed? Is there something that I can do to salvage it or am I "S.O.L"? It is not the best quality weave (I'm not interested in a tight weave), but it is still a good hat. I like this hat as it looks god on me and it was hard to find a hat with the dimensions I wanted (tall 5 inch crown and a 3 inch wide brim). Can somebody please help me!

100_1668.JPG

100_1669.JPG

Your hat is not runied. I have gotten the same thing before and I called Graham at Optimo Hat Co. and the lime and salt worked for me. Another time A guy at at a restaurant as I was outside asked to see my had and his hands had
Barbeque sauce on them and he left several prints on my fino fino. I used Shout in the spray bottle and they came right out. I then just ironed the brim on a med. setting.Hat was good as new!!

I would call Art at 510-245-2443 or 1-800-636-1410. He won't steer you wrong.

The worst case is a re wash and re block about $35.00 or so. I think the FRESH lime not the bottled stuff will do the trick.

These hats were made to last!!

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I will try the lime/salt paste when the sun comes out (it has been overcast the past few days). If it doesn't work, I will probably end up sending it out to a professsional.

android

One of the Regulars
captcouv said:
Where, oh where, can I get a reblock of felt hat?

captcouv

Where do you live?

Art Fawcett is the obvious answer, but he is busy moving.

There are a few other competent hat shops left in the country.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
BD...I don't yet know why, but this isn't uncommon. I reblocked a Panama for a client that went into the hospital while I was working and didn't pick his hat up for 7 months. I had actually forgotten about it but when he came to pick it up, even though covered, it showed HUGE yellow spots and looked like someone has spilled a trail of coffee down it. I was horrified and immediately went to work. First, I used some woolite on the spots and a small toothbrush to work in the solution, then rinsed & while drying on the block used a salt/fresh lime paste and let it dry in the sun. It was an old cheap Cuenca that I didn' t think was worth reblocking but sure enough, they all came out.
Now, if I can only figure out why is does that sometimes...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
May be something to do with residual bleach/sulphur, or whatever chemical agents that remain in the hat combined with something as simple as finger grease or trace elements in the fibre reacting with the bleach.
But it's in defined patterns like a splatter...
Some kind of chemical reaction with something-
Is the marking only on the brim?
That pattern looks like a spill/splatter, whether it is or not- could it be some marking to the hat that was bleached out in Ecuador and has re-manifested?

Am I just talking a load of shi-ite?
Probably, it's my forte'.
Thinking out loud, publicly...

With best intentions,
B
T

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Well, it worked for the most part. The top of the brim looks better than the bottom. I am going to keep working on the bottom of the brim. By the way, the lighting is different, thus the different color of the straw, but it is the same hat and the pictures are of the same area.

To answer a few questions:
1) Yes, the spots are only on the brim and only in the same area.
2) It looks as though some liquid was dripped on it but I can promise you that this was not the case.
3) It is a Montecristi (not a Cuenca), with about a 400wpi count. It even still smells like sulphur after having it for the past two years. The pictures just make the weave look worse than it actually is.

100_1670.JPG

100_1671.JPG

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Keep working with it BD & it'll be fine. I knew it was a Monti but apparently the same thing happens with them. My only experience with the problem has been with Cuenca so that's all I can relate.
Looks better already!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran