Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just for you. Very mini collection :) Some assorted pics including Tan / Gold Ashland

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0368(1).jpg IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0422.jpg

Last edited:

Steven C P

New in Town
No, Medium really. Not an outdoor winter jacket. Not much different to an MA-1 or B-15D in its insulation properties in my experience.

bn1966

Thanks Atticus, if you get any links in the future I would be very grateful. Did see one (36-P) a few weeks ago for $400.00 which was too rich for my blood. Have seen a couple around in L for $100.00 ish. A Bi-swing CWU is my latest ambition. :)

bn1966

Thanks guys, I'm a broad shouldered size 46 (UK) so will need an XL. :cool:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
Actually, Alpha was a supplier of CWU-45P jackets and may have supplied CWU-36Ps as well. I know they supplied CWU-45Ps because I have three and they are all very well made jackets. I also have an Isratex CWU-45P and an Isratex CWU-36P. I've had no issues with either, but Isratex did have quality issues with their flight suits, as I recall.

As to which companies produced flight jackets for the military...all four of the ones you mention in the OP were suppliers at one time or another.

Here's a good rule of thumb for deciding if a jacket is actual military issue: Look on the tag for a DA, DSA, DLA or SPO number. Those prefixes denote the various U.S. Government departments that have administered the issuance of US military gear since the early sixties. If it has such a number there is an excellent chance its real. If it lacks that number it is probably civilian.

Here's a photo of the tag from an issued USAF A-2. The SPO number indicates it was made by Avirex in 1998.

Dscn0035.jpg

AF
Some questions from a noob:

1. Are there any other ways to tell the nomex from nylon version?

2. Is there a size chart for these jackets? I'm a 42L in civilian clothes and my new USMC tanker jacket.

3. Do the nomex jackets pick up smells or stains easily? I'm thinking of buying used from e-Bay or wherever.

4. What is "aramid"?

Thanks.

Last edited:

calderoni

New in Town
Arrived the Xl Nomex at my house. As you said is a little bit short! I think i should look for an XXL; are the hard to find right?
a little off topic: for those guys who have been interested on flight jacket history, Bio Baranek jist landed on this forum. He's the author of top gun days book and he was on board of the black f5 during the shooting of the movie. He helped Tony Scott for the dialogues and just wrote on the thread Top Gun movie jacket in this forum.
Just to let you guys know, he 's a cool guy!

bn1966

XXL CWU Nomex, haven't seen that many for sale although they are available..don't know if they'll cost more due to less appearing for sale. Who was the maker / manufacturer of your jacket calderoni? Did it fit OK apart from length?

bn1966

I've scored a 1980 Bi-swing CWU 36 P in XL...just the wait now for it to be shipped from across the pond. If the description is accurate, the jacket appears to have led a quiet life..so hopefully condition is as described & what a result if it fits well too. :)

bn1966

Pictures next week jacket now in UK expecting delivery by Wednesday. Paid customs charges today :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner