Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
1978 Greenbrier 45P arrived and it's pretty grubby with the consistency of an old Barbour (no kidding, it really does feel like waxed cotton, yuck) and there's a few spots where the shell has worn through. Amazingly the knits are fine and nearly all of the seams are really tight (only exception being the seams running from the armpits to cuffs). Out it goes though, since I'm not looking for a project.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Treetopflyer said:
Is it from oil and dirt build up? I have seen many Aircrewmen wear jackets that they have never cleaned look that way. I would recommend an Oxyclean soak for 24 hours and then gentle cycle in the wash machine.
It seems to me that this jacket has never been cleaned, so I might give your recommendation a shot... thanks!

Can anyone give some typical armpit-to-armpit measurements for XL nomex 36P jackets? There's a guy at my workplace who saw my 36P jacket and wants one, but he's a full 46" chest with built up arms and I don't think he'll squeeze into a L.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone give some typical armpit-to-armpit measurements for XL nomex 36P jackets? There's a guy at my workplace who saw my 36P jacket and wants one, but he's a full 46" chest with built up arms and I don't think he'll squeeze into a L.

I think you are right. I have two 36Ps...both size 46-48. I normally wear a size 46R suit and those jackets just fit.

AF

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Okay good, thanks, I will look for an XL for him. He's a 46R as well.

Here's a 36P up on the bay right now - at first glance I though the cig pocket was torn, but in fact it has flap!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have found the Propper contracts CWUs quite generously cut compared to some other contracts. The XL (46/48) fits me well in both the 36-P and 45. My Gibraltar 36-P is also very comfortably proportioned, I'm a 46 chest too.

mihai

A-List Customer
jacket not made of Nomex

Is it any CWU 36 / 45 military issue that is not made of Nomex(Aramid)?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
mihai said:
Is it any CWU 36 / 45 military issue that is not made of Nomex(Aramid)?
Alpha Industries sells three versions of the 45P jackets:
1. nomex military spec, $USD600
2. nylon, USD$135
3. nylon faked to look like nomex, USD$130 (sold under the McGuire name, now seems to be discontinued)

I have never seen the 36P jackets in anything other than nomex.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I wore my 1980 Alpha 36P bi-swing jack this past week to NYC and it was the perfect travel jacket, at least for me. Huge pockets, cool when unzipped, warm when zipped, and I didn't see any hipsters wearing one. lol

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Found a few new Cockpit 36P Nomex on sale for USD100 at a shop (website price is USD430). The knits (cuffs etc) seem to wear out pretty quick. It's a slim cut civilian model. Still thinking which color I should buy. Khaki or OD:eusa_doh:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
1978 Greenbrier 45P arrived and it's pretty grubby with the consistency of an old Barbour (no kidding, it really does feel like waxed cotton, yuck) and there's a few spots where the shell has worn through. Amazingly the knits are fine and nearly all of the seams are really tight (only exception being the seams running from the armpits to cuffs).
Treetopflyer said:
Is it from oil and dirt build up? I have seen many Aircrewmen wear jackets that they have never cleaned look that way. I would recommend an Oxyclean soak for 24 hours and then gentle cycle in the wash machine.
Checked out Oxiclean but it said on the package you can't let it touch your skin, so I opted against it since I knew I needed to hand wash this jacket. Instead, I soaked the jacket in water with a good dose of normal laundry detergent and after several hand rinses and a couple of spins in the washing machine (not the dryer!) about 95% of the grime appears to be gone and the jacket looks good. It needs a bit of hand stitching in a few spots, and I think I will hand wash the collar again, but overall it's going to be okay. That makes me happy, not only since it would otherwise have been money wasted, but these old bi-swing nomex jackets look a lot better than the new nomex jackets and it's worth making a little extra effort to keep them on the road, so to speak.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's me wearing my 1980 Alpha bi-swing CWU 36/P. It's in flawless condition and I got it from a seller in British Columbia(!). The old nomex looks a lot nicer than the new nomex/aramid, in my opinion, although the new jackets seem to be more consistent in terms of sizing and construction quality, at least based on the few jackets I've owned/bought.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Just got an older 36/P jacket for the big big price of $20. It's missing the zip pull and box but I can probably switch the one from the cigarette pocket since that one's not really needed. Anyways, it's interesting because it shows when the bi-swing back was discontinued. This jacket is Alpha dated 1981 and has the plain back. I have another 36/P jacket Alpha dated 1980 which has the bi-swing back.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the inside of a 45/P Greenbrier jacket from 1978. The liner is torn you so you can see the insulation. Looks like a poly insulation?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Today I managed, with some sweating and cursing, to get the zipper head off the cigarette pocket and onto the main zip of my 1981 Alpha 36/P jacket. Now it's wearable, although the cigarette pocket will need to be sewn shut (who uses those things?). That jacket was $20 so it worked out well. I also have an Isratex 36/P and it's lower quality in terms of fit and finish, but wearable. I'd like to get another 45/P jacket in good shape, but I might have to buy one new. Call me crazy, but I like these a lot more than leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters