Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Laraquan

Familiar Face
The way things are going, I might just have to use a black marker on my 5 for $10 light-coloured stockings. lol Oh well, it's somewhat 40s. Sure, it's not eyeliner and gravy, but it's make do and mend!

I bought a set of seamed stockings. The package *looked* right. Turns out they were not only black, but an ugly twisted black, and the seams demanded to be on the left side of my leg and thigh... Yeah, unless I wore the stockings at a weird angle rather than putting my toes into the right spot. Hard to explain. Then there were the seamed stocking stay-ups... I'm sure you know how that worked out.

Damnable Adelaide! :rage:

Laraquan

Familiar Face
How not to tear stockings

I'm sorry if this has been previously addressed - I haven't seen it. See, I have the awful habit of always tearing stockings. I might catch it on furniture, I might rip it while putting them on, or if it's pantyhose, simply sitting might do it. How does a person do it properly?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I also have a problem of snagging my stockings on something while wearing them because I am accident prone so I have no help there. But as far as while putting them on, the ladies used to wear special gloves while putting their stockings on which helped in the not tearing with your nail or something.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a problem I encountered with every single pair I put on, either while putting them on or later while wearing them, especially sitting down. Then I read the size chart on all my hosiery packages. Seems I was buying or re-using hose in the smallest size, of which I suddenly was not anymore. Simple solution, I weighed and measured myself carefully and ordered pantyhose and stockings according to my shape as it is now, not as what it had been for 30 years. Nary a tear since. Perhaps this will work for you.
If not, I have much better luck putting on hosiery while I am standing up. Who knows why? And it works much better if I'm not in a hurry. Having an emery board handy helps with rough nails that magically appear, too, but don't get an emery board near the stockings becuse the board itself snags them, the sneak. Now I so seldom have a run it maddens me to no end when I do get one.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The first thing you have to worry about is fit. Stockings should go to about low mid to mid thigh at least. If the welt its just above the knee they are too short. If your thigh is being squeezed, too tight. The foot should be snug, but not too much so. and your foot should fit completely inside. Also make sure your toenails are cut :rolleyes:

I find that if I shave that morning and lotion heavily then put on my stockings, I rarely get runs.

If the stockings are old, make sure you soak them before you wear cause the nylon might be brittle.

When you sit, the stocking should be snug, but have some give. A good way to test this is to attach your garters sitting down.

As far as world wear, I tend to be conscious of my environment when I wear my stockings. I try not to cross my legs at the ankle, be aware of stuff around my legs when Im walking, and apply my shoes with a shoe horn.

Hope this helps :)

LD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With kid gloves!

I remember my mom used to keep a pair of kid gloves in her stocking drawer for putting them on... before she gave up both stockings and gloves!
Fit is very important, of course!
I think there is a link already to the stocking size chart in the the lingerie thread - if not, here it is again, as it is very helpful figuring out what your vintage stocking size is:

http://www.sleeknchic.com/html/generalinfo2.htm

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Copied from my reply to your first post on this issue:

Wear gloves when putting on your hosiery.
Check the inside of your shoes for rough bits that can cause runs.
Do not walk around without shoes while wearing hosiery.
Keep your feet and toenails smooth to prevent snags. Putting lotion on your legs and feet before putting on your hosiery can help.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I just had this as a topic in my personal blog a few weks ago, so I just copied it and add it here, too:

How to get a extra long wear out of your stockings?

1. Allways file your toes and nails so they won´t hurt the stocking. Even better is to get stocking gloves like those: http://www.ars-vivendi.de/shop/catframe.asp?product_group=901208&sid=

2. Roll your nylons carefully up before stepping in! (Also make it easier to keeps the seams straight)

3. Wash your stockings once in a while. I usually carefully put them in a sink with warm water and shampoo for a while, than I rinse and roll them in a towel to let them dry. I saw a little sack to put in your stockings when you´re in a hurry and put them in the washing-maschine, but I never tried that myself: http://www.ars-vivendi.de/shop/catframe.asp?product_group=901208&sid=

4. Get a Stocking bag. One like those: http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Strumpftasche so you can keep your stockings together and keep them away from any sharp things! Plus you´ll be able to keep them all together. You know how easily you can loose your socks? Same with Stockings!!!

Believe me, it´s worth the effort!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have one pair of Fully fashioned stocking that I purchased forever ago. They have held up very well but they are way to long. I am worried about getting another pair until I know the right size. Someone posted a size chart which was helpful but I am still a little worried.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
If I take care to gently wash my stockings after every wear I can usually get 6 wears out of them, which isn't bad since I don't wear stockings that often. It's only when I'm lazy and throw them into my underwear drawer and don't take care of them that I get pulls.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sharing my collection

So after acquiring 8 new pair of stockings yesterday, I decided in a frenzy to wash all of mine today, partially as a way to ensure that the ones I've never worn aren't drying out and becoming brittle. During this process, I realized a few things:

* In the year and a half or so that I've been collecting stockings, I've amassed 25 vintage pair (not including the ones I've lost to runs)

* I have only had to throw out two pair due to runs. This is my main argument for taking care of your stockings, wearing gloves, and just not wearing them every day.

How many do you have? What does your collection look like? Here's some info about my collection. I will admit that I'm posting this here mostly so I can have it recorded someplace, but I'm definitely interested in learning about what everyone else has managed to find!

* 5 pair black, 3 are 60 gauge, 2 are heavy service weight with cotton/nylon welts.
* 8 pair of nude. My favorite are Missouri 51 gauge, 30 denier. I really prefer these as they are more durable and less sheer, providing more coverage. In the summer I will wear 60 gauge 15 denier, but I really do prefer the heavier ones.
* 2 navy heel and seam
* 2 w/ black back seam and nude heel
* 1 w/ black heel and seam
* 3 w/ flocked ankle or heel
* 2 w/ outline heel
* 2 w/ fancy heel

navy heel and seam
navy.jpg

outline heel
outline.jpg

strangely shaped black heel
blackfoot.jpg

fancy heels!
fancy1.jpg

fancy2.jpg

flocked heels or ankles
greenbow.jpg

brownstars.jpg

blackflocked.jpg

Share yours ladies!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Help...

What does everyone use to wash your stockings. The last pair I wore to a wedding, had a run before the end of the evening. The were vintage black seam on beige too.:rage: I want to wash my remaining stockings in case they are dried out. Never realized they could do this and I don't want to lose anymore before their time.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pennyseranade said:
What does everyone use to wash your stockings. The last pair I wore to a wedding, had a run before the end of the evening. The were vintage black seam on beige too.:rage: I want to wash my remaining stockings in case they are dried out. Never realized they could do this and I don't want to lose anymore before their time.

A lot of ladies recommend Hosiery Mate, which is indeed a fine product. I use one called Forever New that I have always been very pleased with. I use it for washing other delicates as well, such as slips and tap pants. Forever New makes a good stain remover as well.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
OMG! My first pair of real FF stockings arrived. My friend was right, I didn't need to go up a size, so I'm glad I only bought one pair. I though heavy thighs would need the next size up, but since I'm super short, it just made them longer. Hubby hasn't seen them yet, but I tried them on. :eek: I've never been very happy with my legs, but these stockings make them look great!!! I can't believe they ever went out of fashion. If they can make my legs look great, they'd look great on every woman!

PS

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
OMG! My first pair of real FF stockings arrived. My friend was right, I didn't need to go up a size, so I'm glad I only bought one pair. I though heavy thighs would need the next size up, but since I'm super short, it just made them longer. Hubby hasn't seen them yet, but I tried them on. :eek: I've never been very happy with my legs, but these stockings make them look great!!! I can't believe they ever went out of fashion. If they can make my legs look great, they'd look great on every woman!

I feel the same way! The worst part is now, I don't want to wear them all the time. I want to keep them stashed and pretty looking so they are perfect when I really need them. The way pantyhose stretches around my leg always made me feel like they 'looked' bigger but I don't get that feeing with FF stockings.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
FF seamed stockings are all that I ever wear with skirts or dresses now. I actually tossed out all my pantyhose and I'll NEVER wear them again! I've gathered a small collection of stockings--some from thrift stores, antique shops, eBay, and even companies that still make them today. I'm always on the look out for more. I've had a couple of them finally wear out, so I'm going to need a few more replacements. I don't understand why women would wear pantyhose over FF stockings either. They do make your legs look a lot more attractive and feminine. And need I say, my hubby just adores it when I wear them!

:eek:fftopic: We went on a trip last month and had stopped at a restaurant for breakfast. I was wearing a nice dress and my stockings. As we were leaving, a couple of men were outside talking. I knew exactly the moment they caught a glance of my stockings as I went by because I heard one of them start to stumble on his words. I didn't turn around, but it was very obvious. I'm pretty much oblivious to most people's reactions these days, but it does give me quite a chuckle now and then.

I say, bring back FF seamed stockings!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav