Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
Although Campari and Cynar are awful drinks on their own. One of the worst drinks I've ever had is a pickleback.

Shot of Jamesons followed by a shot of bright yellow Pickle brine.
*yucky* *yucky* *yucky*
:( ooh I feel a bi t odd just thinking about it!

Why???????????:eek:

Chainsaw

Suspended
One of my favorite drinks is the brine from German sauerkraut, pickled in white wine vinegar. I've opened cans, drank the brine, and thrown out the sauerkraut. I wouldn't mind making a martini out if it or something.

A Polish cure for hangovers, is to drink the pickle juice.;)

rjenkins

New in Town
I've only ever had two drinks that were so bad as to be unforgettable.

One was 'Gold Label', an English barley wine (ultra-strong beer) which someone talked me in to trying many years ago, and the other rather recently was some Sake - I was given a supposedly good quality bottle as a Christmas present.

Both were nasty beyond description.

Chainsaw said:
One of my favorite drinks is the brine from German sauerkraut, pickled in white wine vinegar. I've opened cans, drank the brine, and thrown out the sauerkraut. I wouldn't mind making a martini out if it or something.

A Polish cure for hangovers, is to drink the pickle juice.;)

Man, you have one heck of a constitution. I burned my mouth just tasting red wine vinegar. Geez, that stuff was strong----but it works great for marinade. [huh] :D

grundie

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I attended a talk with the guy who created ManX Spirit.

This is a product made on the Isle of Man and is essentially a re-distilled and refined Scotch. The result is a clear spirit that has a much more pronounced Scotch flavour and is great for mixing. I rather like it.

It used to be called Manx Whisky but the maker got sued by the Scotch Whisky Association who claimed he had to age it for another eight years in order to call it whisky.

The maker had collected a war chest of drinks described as Whisky and which were made by members of the SWA and which he claimed violated the law on what can be called Whisky. His argument was that they were in a pot-kettle-black situation.

We were given the opportunity to sample some of these 'delights'

• Bells with Irn Bru.
  • Toffee flavoured Famous Grouse.
  • Mint Whisky.
  • Something that was liquorish flavoured.
  • Whisky with herbs.
  • Whisky with advocaat.

..there were plenty more horrors that I can't recall as they were so bad.

Most of these drinks made me wretch a little even though I sampled only a tiny sip. Everything he had in that box had failed commercially. I wonder why?

As you can probably guess he lost the case hence the new product name.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
adamjaskie said:
I also hate Jeagermeister. And Red Bull, which seems to be a popular mixer these days for the stuff. Ugh.

The Canadian navy practically runs on Red Bull and vodka. The RB is used as a mixer and a stimulant to try to counter the dulling effects of vast quantities of vodka.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
The Canadian navy practically runs on Red Bull and vodka. The RB is used as a mixer and a stimulant to try to counter the dulling effects of vast quantities of vodka.

This was a hugely popular drink for the 18 to 20 something crowd in the late 90s in NZ.

Another thing which I don't recommend in large quantities was a Sri Lankan coconut liqueur that a mate and I played a drinking game with when I was a 6th former. I can't remember what it was called, it had a homemade looking label on it and guaranteed alcohol poisoning just opening the bottle. We weren't well at the end of proceedings.

Never seen it again, and don't ever want to, made Mekong whisky look like Ribena.

I don't like Saki very much. Friends have had sushi parties and brought out a variety of them including some that were supposed to be really great high end brands. To me they tasted like either Discwasher record cleaner or slightly racid dishwater.[huh]

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MisterCairo said:

Hi, from my son's group (20-25) year olds, Red Bull and vodka is a BAD combination. Too drunk to think, too hyped up on caffeine to lay down. It has lead (on at least several occasions) to waking up wondering what some one did to get in trouble. Fortunately, they seem to have given that up around here.

Later

MisterCairo said:
Light beer. Any brand. Any style. Any country.

WHY was this invented?

It was invented as a the logical progression of taste manipulation in the USA. Pre Prohibition in the US had most breweies making beer that was close to their European and English cousins. After Prohibition saw the rise of what is called adjuncts, such as the use of grains like rice or corn to lighten the flavor of the beer. As time progressed the beer became lighter in flavor and reduced hopping with a result of women and younger people drinking the non-bitter or not heavy brews. In reality most people like to drink sweet sodas and don't care for the flavor of beer which is why the beer is served as cold as posible in frozen mugs to reduce the flavor even more. In the end under the concept of less calories "Light or Lite Beer" was introduced as a near flavorless excuse for beer.

Michael Jackson the bard of beer was quoted in the 1970's as saying: "When Coors announced they were introducing a brand of light beer, it was like Volkswagen annoucing they were going to produce a line of Small Cars."

This is why small breweries like Anchor nearly went bye-bye in the US until the home brew revolution started and some people found that they liked fuller flavors and beer with taste. Over time the home brewers became microbrewers opening brewpubs and boutique breweries and reintroducing traditional brews and even creating new categories. Today you can find a number of fine ales and dark beers in most markets in the US, but Lite beer still is a favorite of the great unwashed because they really don't like beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points