Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
It was invented as a the logical progression of taste manipulation in the USA. Pre Prohibition in the US had most breweies making beer that was close to their European and English cousins. After Prohibition saw the rise of what is called adjuncts, such as the use of grains like rice or corn to lighten the flavor of the beer. As time progressed the beer became lighter in flavor and reduced hopping with a result of women and younger people drinking the non-bitter or not heavy brews. In reality most people like to drink sweet sodas and don't care for the flavor of beer which is why the beer is served as cold as posible in frozen mugs to reduce the flavor even more. In the end under the concept of less calories "Light or Lite Beer" was introduced as a near flavorless excuse for beer.

Michael Jackson the bard of beer was quoted in the 1970's as saying: "When Coors announced they were introducing a brand of light beer, it was like Volkswagen annoucing they were going to produce a line of Small Cars."

This is why small breweries like Anchor nearly went bye-bye in the US until the home brew revolution started and some people found that they liked fuller flavors and beer with taste. Over time the home brewers became microbrewers opening brewpubs and boutique breweries and reintroducing traditional brews and even creating new categories. Today you can find a number of fine ales and dark beers in most markets in the US, but Lite beer still is a favorite of the great unwashed because they really don't like beer.

Really informative post, thanks for that :eusa_clap

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
St.Ignatz said:
I'm still waiting for "Dry Lite Ice Lime". Marketing slogan "Because you'll but anything".
Tom D.

Dry Lite Ice Lime Zero-cal Zero-taste Zero alcohol aspiring to be near-beer beer.

Or, as it's called in Canada, anything by Molson or Labatts.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Aw come on Mister Cairo. Don't offend our American friends. The beer in the states used to be good, when it was still German! What's the saying American beer is like having sex in a canoe, it like f---ing water. Which is fantastic, for the summertime yes?

Most people don't want a real ale like St.Peters, it tastes too much like beer....

Sorry for the ribbin'

Chainsaw

Suspended
Smuggler's apple pie

Maybe this is the right place for this post. Before America adopted the European staple, beer America preferred the English style cider. Then everyone became tea totalers, and that's when the country was lost. But that's another story.

Now I learned this recipe from someone that was in a family way with some bootleggers, long story untold, I call my creation smugglers apple pie. Now apple and fruit season is almost upon us, so choose what you like, apples pears et-cetera. Now I still got my hat on, so that means I'm still in character, but that is a real crow bar. Any how here's the recipe.

First off find yourself some 5 gallon buckets out back of some where's...

Next fill the bucket one quarter with apple and or pears, don't matters if they rotten.

Next mash them down with a 2x4, preferably cedar. Then add more apples mash again,ti ll the bucket is three fifths full of squishin's.

Then add your water, if you got running water, just dunk the bucket in that creek.

Next off put that yeast in that bucket, from the super market like.

Then you can put in half a pound of sugar in that there bucket, you city folk use brown, cause I know that's what you like! All fancy and that.

Put a lid on it for at least a month, then every one will be real happy like!

Wha'd you mean youz too fancy for our gin joint?! No! I know you just fooling' with me!

The great misfortune of American beer comes with cost accounts learning that adding adjuncts would lighten the flavor of American beer while making it cheaper to make and the Prohibition era that was like a reset for American taste buds. Prohibition eliminated many old style breweries and reduced the offerings to a lot feewer and more in the lighter lager style. That gain popularity with those that normally did not drink beer because of strong flavor profiles, lighter broaden the consumer base. Eventually we arrived at a less is more concept and the lite beer was born. Here in the US there are fads that move thru the big brewers line ups but there is an undercurrent of "Real Beer" small brewers making extraordinary products in the old world traditions. So not all American beer sucks, just what we send out of the country from the big brewers.

I recall reading about how many of Great Britains best breweries are were falling under the control of the conglomerates and the introduction of domestic for GB light body lagers continues to grow. They have the Campaign for Real Ale CAMRA that promoted the old style ales and brewing techniques as well as the proper serving techniques to try tosave some of their most wonderful old unique ales.

Chainsaw

Suspended
It's not just the beer that's being drunk to excess. We as a society consume too much liquids in general. Water, we drink liters of it. It was once a precious comodity. The purpose of course is to dilute the sweat.

If ŷou want to learn how to enjoy beer, you have to start by keeping it at the proper temperature. What's appropriate for summer is garage floor temp. The coldness of the concrete is just good enough.

The beer will be more flavourful, more filling, but you'll drink less of it. But in time, you'll learn to enjoy it more. Either that, or you can put it in the fridge like a heathen.

Unfortunately here in Southern California the tempurature of my garage floor is about 90 degrees in the day.

I believe the general rule is light lagers 40-50 maybe 55 degrees farenheit, as the lagers get heavier or darker in color the temps move to the upper end of the scale.

Ales you want more in the 50-60 degrees with the light ones at the lower end and the heavies closer to the warmer side. In America we have been conditioned to the idea of ICE COLD BEER for refreshment. The cold stifles the flavors. Many find that trying new brews can be challenging but as they learn about other styles their tastes often grow and include darker and heavier beers.

As Toronto mentions as the temperature of the beer goes up the more the flavors and aromas of that beer are released. How warm can they be? You have to experiement to find your comfort level but One experiemnt is to take the 6 pack out of the frig about 20 minutes before serving. Some labels have suggested temps listed start there and move up in temperature.

Another tasting trick is to pour the beers being served into a glass pitcher first to release some of the excess carbonation. Many canned and bottled beers have way too much carbonation which may add to the "crispness" but the carbonation is also carbonic acid and adds to the "tartness" of the beer. This is why many beers on draught or on tap taste better, because of the lower carbonation levels.

Cheer!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chainsaw said:
...If ŷou want to learn how to enjoy beer, you have to start by keeping it at the proper temperature. What's appropriate for summer is garage floor temp. The coldness of the concrete is just good enough.

The beer will be more flavourful, more filling, but you'll drink less of it. But in time, you'll learn to enjoy it more. Either that, or you can put it in the fridge like a heathen.

Hi

What Chainsaw says is true of most good beer, and almost all Eurpoean Beer. Unfortunately most American beer is made to be served ice cold, and tastes worse when it gets warm. One beer I've tasted, Watney's Red Ale (I haven't seen it in decades) was served to me ice cold and tasted horribly until it had set on the table for 15 minutes.

I just checked the internet for it, and the Brits hated it too.

later

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I loathe Campari, Jaegermeister, and Red Bull (on its own or paired with Jaeger or vodka). Zima is also nasty. I'm also not a huge fan of Purple Passion, the pre-mixed Everclear nastiness that got passed around at high school parties when we couldn't find any decent liquor cabinets to pillage.

http://www.bumwine.com/ discusses many of the libations that have appeared in this thread.

I once heard somene describe Cool Colt as tasting like "drinking peppermint from a hobo's shoe" which steered me clear of it.

Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz = vile. It's trying to be a dessert wine, but it's beyond cloying.

I don't care for beer; mostly I can't stand the taste of hops. I'm more than happy to help my husband brew, though.

filfoster

One Too Many
Zima

CherryWry writes: "Zima is also nasty."

Ha! I could not resist acknowledging someone else disparaging Zima, a contender for worst potable in any discussion. I have earlier posted considerable spleen against it in this thread and also started another on the toxic character of Zima and the even more execrable Sloe Gin.

There is no criminal prosecution for a corporate crime like Zima but if there is an afterlife, one can only hope its creator will be somewhere warm enough to make even Zima desirable.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Today I found premixed Campari and Soda - So I bought some. Sometimes even I think I'm bonkers!
If by bonkers you mean a gentleman with impeccable tastes and a sense of adventure, then yes you are!;)
Now keep an eye open for a cynar and soda premix...

hey JP,:p :p :p
;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
It was invented as a the logical progression of taste manipulation in the USA. Pre Prohibition in the US had most breweies making beer that was close to their European and English cousins. After Prohibition saw the rise of what is called adjuncts, such as the use of grains like rice or corn to lighten the flavor of the beer...

HI John

To pop a quick addition in here, during Prohibition, adjuncts began being used because it was necessary to get the alcohol content up. I would bet (but don't know) that it was difficult to acquire hops and barley since they are obviously ingredients for beer. Rice and corn were also used as food so buying a bunch wasn't suspicious. Of course, I don't think anybody cared much about your making beer either. lol

My grandfather was born before 1900, so he was old enough to drink regularly before prohibition. He said that all of the local towns (he lived in Bluffs Illinois) had a brewery, and that all of their beer was better than anything you could buy then (probably 1977-78). According to Grandpa, the local breweries left a keg tapped and you could fill your mug on the way home from work. :)

Later

rumblefish said:
If by bonkers you mean a gentleman with impeccable tastes and a sense of adventure, then yes you are!;)
Now keep an eye open for a cynar and soda premix...

hey JP,:p :p :p
;)

I was thinking that would be next.:rolleyes: Cynar and soda could be used for chemical warfare purposes---not drinking willingly. :eusa_doh: :eek:
Oh and sense of adventure is right! Having your head close to the porcelain god might not exactly be my kind of adventure though. :eek:

1961MJS said:
Hi, if you liked bumwine.com, you'll like this one too.

40ozMaltLiquor.com

Mike
bot_5_n.jpg

Oh yes, these babies definitely need to be included here with Pimms, Campari and Cynar. *yucky*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21