Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Few people would drink vermouth on it's own and something like Angostura Bitters would be horrendous. There are items that are meant to be part of the mix much like a a spice as seasoning.

Recipe for Traditional Pimm's No 1 is easy - Take a jug or glass and fill it with ice, mix one part Pimm’s No. 1 with 3 parts chilled lemonade, add some mint, cucumber, orange and strawberry.

No one here remembers when Sweet Vermouth was marketed as a drink on its own? Back in the 60's the song was "Martini and Rossi imported Vermouth... M and R... on the rocks."

In the 70's it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWhI2bWXew

Once in my anglophile days (about the time of the commercial above, by the way) I tried to like Pimm's cup. Mixed it all sorts of different ways, every recipe I could find, trying to be English, even put cucumber slices in some of them. Every recipe I tried was undrinkable. Just plain foul. A drink with a cucumber in it? When you're not hungover to start with? Really?

Bourbon Guy said:
No one here remembers when Sweet Vermouth was marketed as a drink on its own? Back in the 60's the song was "Martini and Rossi imported Vermouth... M and R... on the rocks."

In the 70's it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWhI2bWXew

Once in my anglophile days (about the time of the commercial above, by the way) I tried to like Pimm's cup. Mixed it all sorts of different ways, every recipe I could find, trying to be English, even put cucumber slices in some of them. Every recipe I tried was undrinkable. Just plain foul. A drink with a cucumber in it? When you're not hungover to start with? Really?

I remember how vermouth was once a big deal. As I mentioned before, Connoisseurs still can tell the difference between the brands---it is a wine after all. ;)
Pimm's is foul. Like I said, save your money. If you want the same effect, drink Lysol. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Selentino

One of the Regulars
My worst list:
Iron City Beer from Pittsburg taste like stale cigarette butts
Chivas Regal 18 yr old. Swill a waste of a lot of money
Jaegermeister mouthwash on steroids
Growing up in the 70's any of the old street drinks Thunderbird, Cold Duck, TJ Swann, and any Malt Beer (Yes I'm from the East Coast).

Selentino said:
My worst list:
Iron City Beer from Pittsburg taste like stale cigarette butts
Chivas Regal 18 yr old. Swill a waste of a lot of money
Jaegermeister mouthwash on steroids
Growing up in the 70's any of the old street drinks Thunderbird, Cold Duck, TJ Swann, and any Malt Beer (Yes I'm from the East Coast).

Jaegermeister is worse than mouthwash. That stuff is furniture cleaner. :eek: :p
Chivas I have to agree with. Someone gave me a bottle and....:eek: *yucky*
I also went back and tasted Pimm's last night again---just to be sure. Yep, it is the worst Lysol they bottle. *yucky*

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Grappa Julia. I have maybe 15 different Grappa in my cabinet and Julia is NOT among them. If there was even a pretense of authenticity they would at least have spelled it Giulia. The grappa that gave grappa a bad name.
Tom D.

oh and I have to disagree with your description of IC. It tastes like bad beer with cigarette butts in it sipped through an oxidized copper tube.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
"oh and I have to disagree with your description of IC. It tastes like bad beer with cigarette butts in it sipped through an oxidized copper tube." lol

I apologize and defer to your much better description.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
Grappa Julia. I have maybe 15 different Grappa in my cabinet and Julia is NOT among them. If there was even a pretense of authenticity they would at least have spelled it Giulia. The grappa that gave grappa a bad name.
Tom D.

oh and I have to disagree with your description of IC. It tastes like bad beer with cigarette butts in it sipped through an oxidized copper tube.

As I recall, Grappa is made from the stems and bits of grape vine removed from the wine grapes, in other words, made from wood, in other words, poison. And it tastes like it. Next to Grappa, Pimm's is ambrosia.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Bourbon Guy said:
As I recall, Grappa is made from the stems and bits of grape vine removed from the wine grapes, in other words, made from wood, in other words, poison. And it tastes like it. Next to Grappa, Pimm's is ambrosia.

So you HAVE had the Grappa Julia? The quality range of Grappa is even wider than that of Bourbon. If you go in looking for the similarity's between distilled grain liquor and immature brandy as some call grappa you set yourself up for a huge disappointment but I will say some does have a "cheesy" subtlety to it.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24