Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

I have had boutique Grappa from some California distillery that was quite nice. I had one that was from Zinfandell only grapes that was hearty in flavor.

As I understand it's not made from the wood only, but uses the grapes from the press which have stems and seed in it.

As said above as an unaged brandy its temperment is going to be quite fiery.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Filfoster, I had forgotten all about drive-thru liquor stores...made me chuckle thinking about it. My grandfather used to go to a place in Newport KY called the "Cabooze" it was a drive-up liquor store in a caboose, and they would give you a cup of ice so you could get your first drink made for the ride home...this would have been in the 70s though, before anyone thought too much about DWI/DUI laws.

I over-imbibed so many kinds of alcohol in my misguided youth that I can't stand to even look at most hard liquor, makes me queasy just walking down the liquor aisle at the store.

Burger Light beer was horrid, Top Hat was worse. Anything sweet will likely taste awful if you vomit it back up, so Apple Pucker is probably a bad idea...

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Having spent too much time with some nefarious characters, I'd say anything with the name Jose Cuervo, Jack Daniels, Chevas Regal or Jim Beam should be avoided. Wild Turkey has not been touched, smelled or opened since the age of thirteen. Malibu, Jagger or any other drink that one would only drink on a bet should only be consumed when future well being is not of consequence.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Was at a do round at a mate's place the other day and the drink was flowing fairly freely. Anyway said mate (who was well lubricated by this time) decided he'd mix another couple of scotch and sodas to keep the thirst at bay. He comes back with the drink and I take a swig and the silly sod has put tonic in it instead of soda water. Absolutely foul, undrinkable, had to throw it on some poor plant in the garden. Trust me, it's up there for nastiness.

Funny thing is I love scotch and I love tonic, but then I like baths and toasters, and we know those don't go together either.

Corto

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Maotaiphoto.jpg

Fermented Sorghum! I think I will stay away from it. :eek: *yucky*
I bought a bottle of that once. It literally smelled like turpentine. Painful on the way down too.

filfoster

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Plum Wine. *yucky*
Why there are two bottles in my bar, I may never know.shakeshead

A co worker loved plum wine. It was only one of his many peculiarities. On the other hand, compared to sloe gin and Zima,(now thankfully dead), it is champaigne. As for the two bottles in your bar, don't we all accumulate the wine our guests bring? I can only hope they were 're-gifting'.

Harpy

New in Town
Methuselah said:
And does anybody know a cocktail recipe that can make Galianno taste nice?

A Yellow Bird is pretty good. You can vary the proportions depending on the season/variety of the fresh fruit juice, though there are quite a few variations on the recipe.

1 part dark rum
1 part light rum
1/2 part Galliano
2 1/2 parts freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 part fresh lime juice

Shake with ice then strain into a Collins or highball glass with crushed ice.

Variations on the recipe I've seen include adding banana liqueur, pineapple juice or peach brandy, or some combination thereof.

Actually the last time I had one of these, the bartender used Tuaca liqueur instead of Galliano, which did make the yellow bird taste even better. :)

But the worst stuff I've ever tasted is Green Fairy "absinthe". It's like aniseed syrup with cheap vodka. Ew. I find all of the luridly-green, overly-anise absinthes pretty nasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner