Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, THIS fedora/baseball cap is a travesty of justice…

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yeah...

That's nuthin, Scott.... my other hobby has for about 25 years been Civil War reeneacting. Not only are the clothes 150 years old, but we do it laying on the ground at night and marching around in 100 degree temperatures in the middle of the woods.

Tiller

Practically Family
That hat does look horrible. I don't even know what part of the market they are trying to connect with. Wouldn't buy it, would try to stop a friend from buying it.... I may buy it for an uncle I don't get along with though lol.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
Check out these holloweyed, children of the corn wearing the "it" hat in New York.

soulland-fedora-02.jpg

As one of the comments says these ghastly hybrids look sort of like the Nazi Afrika Corps hats from WWII.

Man are these things ugly.

The truly creepy thing is that the three guys on the right are wearing the same hat. More grape Kool-aid, anyone ?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't like it wouldn't buy it

Hi

I've watched the thread for a while. I tend to be a digital type. For Example, I don't like Taco Pizza, you want tacos, buy tacos, you want pizza, buy pizza. In this case, you want a fedora, buy one, you want a Nazi Party hat, buy one. That looks WEIRD. I would TRY to not laugh if a friend buys one, cause I"m a nice guy...

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
It has been pointed out many times but bears repeating. When we point disparaging fingers at what others are wearing, we have to keep in mind that as people who wear clothes and hats that are 80+ years old, sweat stained, moth eaten and of unknown origin, we are very much in Glass Houses. ;)

Hi, good message, and to me personally, it's topical. I was going to buy my Dad (91) a hat for the 4th of July this year. He didn't want one since his Mother in law made fun of his fedoras years ago. (Granny passed away in 1989 so this isn't a fresh zing.)

Sooo instead of a Fedora, or a nice Panama hat, he wears a red, white and blue Walmart tennis hat of some kind that's at least ten years old. YECHHH

Sorry to post twice in a row on one message...

Later

Pompidou

One Too Many
For everything we take for granted, somebody had to try it first. Only history will tell how this hat fares. Honestly, every time somebody here hates the hat, I'm a little more convinced it's going to succeed somehow, because we all know, nobody here is the target audience. The target audience here is for bleeding edge kids looking to start a new trend and get some shock value. They'll pay a lot for it too.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The top hat caused a riot. Maybe in a couple hundred years, this will be the antiquated formal hat.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
carldelo said:
Sorry MV, you're not arguing from a position of strength with the tone of this reply...

Don't worry, I have no intention of getting involved in a feud. I've already said my piece and that is that. I'm moving on and will ignore him from now on.

jwalls said:
I actually made 3 of these hats about 10 years ago for a juggler who preformed in Las Vegas. He has not been back so I guess they worked out.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Think he kept all three of them in the air at the same time, along with a chainsaw and a couple of bowling pins?

Just as an experiment, I may take some otherwise useless hat body (we all have a few of those around the shop, right?) and bang out something along those lines, but again, with a somewhat less tapered crown and minus the pinch. I got a few flat-topped blocks around here, which oughta do the trick, I'd think. Might end up with something kinda like a shako, but with brim and crown made all of one piece. Stiffen the heck out of it, probably. Hmmm ...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
That hat does look horrible. I don't even know what part of the market they are trying to connect with. Wouldn't buy it, would try to stop a friend from buying it.... I may buy it for an uncle I don't get along with though lol.

I believe the same thing about black and white spectators. They were, and are, as garish as zoot suits.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Afrika Korps?-Nein

5029580609_e02bb9af00_z.jpg

The models look more like recruits of 1945 than the hat looks like a fabric cap with a front band and flat top.

Not my favorites- but I think it is good that people are trying to experiment with felt hat forms and develop new fashions. Not everyone wants to look like the "Golden Age" in their choice of attire and designers were always looking for something new to generate interest in buying a new hat. I do recommend other color choices.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I believe the same thing about black and white spectators. They were, and are, as garish as zoot suits.

I like the idea of the spectators, but the b&w is a bit much for me. I wouldnt mind owning a pair that are dark brown front and back, and sort of a tan in the middle, though.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
5029580609_e02bb9af00_z.jpg

The models look more like recruits of 1945 than the hat looks like a fabric cap with a front band and flat top.

Not my favorites- but I think it is good that people are trying to experiment with felt hat forms and develop new fashions. Not everyone wants to look like the "Golden Age" in their choice of attire and designers were always looking for something new to generate interest in buying a new hat. I do recommend other color choices.

They really dont look like the Nazi Afrika Corps hats do they? Other than theyre tan-colored and a have a front brim. lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Ghosts of threads past. I think that there are like two other threads on this particular hat. And I think that they may be about two years apart too. I recall that it was panned then and the creator of the lid took exception to folks not liking his lid and decided to post his thoughts and displeasure to his creation not being liked.
Still, after two more years of not seeing it...
mrhorse.jpg

To each their own I suppose.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner