Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, THIS fedora/baseball cap is a travesty of justice…

facade

A-List Customer
Oooh its different better mock it. shakeshead

The hat definitely has a military inspiration. Being more utilitarian than the more foppish standard fedora, I could see where something like this could fit in.

I think it'd be interesting in outdoor/active/sporting activities where folk still dressed nicely.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
think it'd be interesting in outdoor/active/sporting activities where folk still dressed nicely.

That's the raison d'être for countless variations of caps, i.e. flat-caps.

It might be an honest attempt to create something new - nothing wrong with that - but IMHO it looks silly.

This attempt of combining a fedora with a cap is neither meat nor fish and looks pretentious. Trying to be "dressy" and "casual" - but failing at both.

It looks to me like something an unfortunate crossover of stormtroopers and mafia goon squad might wear.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I've seen a few of these worn on the street in Shanghai. They do look a little odd, definitely a "neither fish nor fowl" thing. Still, it's nice to see hats, and these are trying to look nice.

Facade, I agree with you that we shouldn't dogpile on something just because it is different. But I still feel like a brim that shades my ears and neck is more utilitarian for my purposes than these caps. Of course, that statement would be equally true of all caps, including styles I do like much better, such as berets and flat caps.

If the wearer feels confident in one, he just might be able to pull it off.

...Facade, I agree with you that we shouldn't dogpile on something just because it is different. But I still feel like a brim that shades my ears and neck is more utilitarian for my purposes than these caps. Of course, that statement would be equally true of all caps, including styles I do like much better, such as berets and flat caps.

If the wearer feels confident in one, he just might be able to pull it off.
Despite my joke in post #14, I concur. I think the problem is that the two models in the photo in post #1 don't appear to be too pleased to be wearing this particular style of hat, and the "attitude" on their faces combined with the shape of the caps and their wardrobe make them look too militant.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
You guys are funny. :)

As another member put it in a different post that really stuck,
"Fashion is fleeting, but style is timeless."

Looks like a "fashion" style of the times to me. Probably won't catch on with great popularity, but then again, perhaps the gents who wore the very first creased and dented fedoras from way back when were criticized as well by the guys wearing open crown only hats. Personally, I'm not a fan of the "fedora baseball cap". I'm also not a fan of that kid's inside out sweater. Though, I think I tried that in middle school once. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner