Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Okay ladies I'm going to need some help with a couple things.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
I'll say off the bat that I'm sorry for intruding. I know you ladies don't really like gentlemen in the powder room but I need some help on a couple things.

I will be attending the QM this year with my lovely girlfriend. At this moment she owns nothing vintage. (Unfortuntally for me I have to do the majority of her vintage shopping. I pick out the majority of her clothes anyway when we shop for modern clothes, and not because I tell her what to wear but because out of everyone I know what she looks great in.)

Now I have found a couple great vintage dresses and I'm sure I'll find more. What I need help with is the other stuff. Shoes, Earrings, Necklaces, Handbags, Hats and things.

So what I'm here to propose is this... Would it be okay with you ladies if when I find a dress or an outfit I come into the Powder Room and post a picture of it and you wonderful ladies tell me where to go and what to get to make the outfit complete?

Thanks Ladies-
DocIndyJones

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Doc, here's some suggestions...for a hat or gloves, vintage stores usually carries an assortment of them (they really do give the outfit a 'completed' look), for accessories; Claires has a lot of costume jewlery same as Target. Shoes, you can get at Payless or just about anywhere and pull off a 'vintage' look. Stockings and what not's, I have been buying at Target and Rago

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Some of the department stores in malls will carry a jewelry line called 1929, which very much has a vintage look to it. I've also seen some vintage styles at Target. Shop around and you may be surprised at what you find. I bought a pair of white opened toe heels with navy blue stitching (Hush Puppies) in size 11 yesterday at Ross for $12, which I'm going to where on the Queen with my new white Ann Taylor Loft Sailor pants.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Alright ladies here are the first dress I won on "the Bay". Now remember I have NO clue what so ever about Vintage Women's Clothes so I just followed what the AD said it was and then decided rather or not it would look good on my dame.

169333654.jpg

169333641.jpg

169333647.jpg

169333671.jpg

169333674.jpg

169333677.jpg

Alright ladies I'm in your hands. What do I need to complete this outfit and where can I find it for a reasonable price.

-DocIndyJones

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Just won the second dress I was going for. Again what do I need to complete these outfits?

169333662.jpg

169333667.jpg

Bought this one outright with "Buy It Now" for 24.00 dollars and the one before this I bought for 26.00 dollars. Tell me what I need ladies... I'm counting on your eyes and knowledge.

-DocIndyJones

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You have excellent taste -- your gal is very lucky!

I love the tan striped dress -- it's very much the sort of style I wear myself, and if I had this particular dress, I'd wear it with very tailored accessories. Shoes would be simple chocolate or russet-brown pumps -- or maybe spectators, if I was feeling summery. I'd also go for a brown leather bag, something on the smallish side, and I'd try a narrow brown leather belt, which I might use or leave off depending on the effect. A simple pair of pearl earrings would look good with this dress, too.

The blue one -- well, you could play it conservative with simple black pumps, or you could have some fun with the accessories. I think a pair of white suede peep-toes would look great with this dress, and possibly a novelty fabric bag. It looks like it ought to have some kind of belt -- I'd try both a white one and a blue one, first, just to get the effect, or I might experiment with using a scarf as kind of a sash. You could go a bit bolder with jewelry here, I think, depending on your gal's tastes.

Hats -- well, use your imagination!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think a pair of navy kitten heels or t-straps would go nicely with the blue dress, though white shoes as Lizzie Maine suggests would work really well too.

My own taste would be simple yellow gold jewelry with either, or pearl ear drops. Gold tones on the belt hardware would work with either better than silver/steel IMO.

They are such cute dresses.

For new shoes that mesh with vintage styles I have to recommend zappos.com as they offer both a huge selection and a good return policy.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Here is the newest one. The auction claims it's a NEGLIGEE but I don't see anything to risky about it maybe it'll look different when it arrives. I think it looks like a formal dress to me.

169405584.jpg

169405579.jpg

169405594.jpg

And as far as the tips you ladies are offering I really can't thank you enough for all the leads...BUT I need links and stuff so I can see what some of the stuff looks like... I have NO clue what kitten heels or t-straps are or what they even look like. So pictures or links would be great. A visual guide if you will... because like I'm sure you all know men are visual creatures.

-DocIndyJones

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DocIndyJones said:
Here is the newest one. The auction claims it's a NEGLIGEE but I don't see anything to risky about it maybe it'll look different when it arrives. I think it looks like a formal dress to me.

169405584.jpg

169405579.jpg

169405594.jpg

And as far as the tips you ladies are offering I really can't thank you enough for all the leads...BUT I need links and stuff so I can see what some of the stuff looks like... I have NO clue what kitten heels or t-straps are or what they even look like. So pictures or links would be great. A visual guide if you will... because like I'm sure you all know men are visual creatures.

-DocIndyJones

For this dress (lovely BTW), you need nothing for it except maybe a small bracelet (gold) and her hair up with a flower in it. That dress (if you use it as such) demands minimal accessories.

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Very cute! But that one actually is a nightgown. A very pretty one, and one that would certainly pass for a modern formal :)

Great dresses so far and the ladies all have excellent suggentions! I don't think there's anything I would add!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
For the blue one, a pearl bracelet and pearl earrings would accentuate it nicely. I think the neckline is too high for a necklace. The right white straw hat might really add some flair (maybe with a bit of a brim on it), as would a pair of white hand or just past the wrist gloves with white shoes. But if your gal is into fashion rules, she won't want to wear white shoes after Labor Day (I bypass those rules myself).

I love the white dress (nightgown), it made me think of Marion on Raiders a little bit.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For the blue dress, I would go with red accessories for real 1940s panache (this is one of my favorite vintage color combinations.) A chunky red brooch or necklace would set of the blue and white nicely. Red shoes would complete that picture; white or blue would also work very nicely.

Those same red accessories might also work well with tan dress; I wear red sets with one of my beige day dresses. Shades of brown would work as well; greens and blues would too based on the dresses neutral coloring.

Also, the nigthgown is lovely (I have a similar one in pale yellow), but I would not wear it as a formal because I know what it is and would feel funny wearing it in public unless I was attending some sort of pajama party :)

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
DocIndy,

You have wonderful taste, and are such a sweetheart to go to such careful efforts for your gal. She must be quite a lady!

You can't go wrong with the suggestions that have been made thus far! I hope she really enjoys herself and you take lots of pictures to share back with us.

You may have already thought of it, but any plans for hair and makeup? You have such beautiful outfits there, and I think having period hair and makeup would really "complete" the look as well. There are some fantastic threads in here that you will probably find quite helpful!

Jessica

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Well as far as hair and make-up go I think I'm just going to leave her in the more then capable hands of the lovely Vanessa and Lauren. They know more then I could ever and probally be of more help to her then I ever could. I mean that is if those two ladies wouldn't mind helping her that is.

-DocIndyJones

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very pretty, all of them - and I almost bid on that first one!

As for the blue - she could get away with wearing it in a non-vintage crowd but I would hesitate to suggest she wear it to a vintage-knowledgeable crowd, it really does look like a nightgown. A very pretty one, to be sure!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oooh! Thank you Jitterbugdoll! I'm not that good at hair. I just pin and spray the heck out of it until it looks remotely vintage. This calls for a pre-dinner prep party. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn