Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old boys ties?

Cobden

Practically Family
Just wondering what the consensus is on old boys ties/club ties/regimental ties? I'm not talking about flying under false colours (which is never a good idea!), but earnt ones :p
Are they pretensious? Or very classy? I find that mine is a very timeless pattern, but I fear wearing one because of fear of being accused of shewing off.

Probably a British problem more than American....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OB and Regt ties...

I haven't a problem with them if you are entitled to wear them. Having said that, as you know, the High Street retailers have moved in on these too, so you can get a Guards' 'lookalike' tie or an Old Etonian's off the shelf and often in a nicer quality silk than if bought at the usual club tie retailers (sadly, they are still often in horrible polyester type fabrics!!).

I was in Crombies yesterday, and I see they have a load of Regt. styled ties in their summer collection, so they are all jumping on the bandwagon.

I wear a couple of Regimental/Corps ties that I'm entitled to, but often, unless it's someone who is knowledgeable or associated, then most folk won't know what it is!

Some are more obvious than others, such as Para and SAS regt ties (ironic isn't it, that these ones stick out!!).

Must dash here! but, it entitled to your Old College tie or Old Regt tie..etc, then there's not a problem!!

dr greg

One Too Many
tied up

One would have to say that it would depend on whether you wanted some chap from the old school to recognise you or not...I wouldn't particularly.
Same would apply to a regimental, I'd assume. But one should never wear a tie one is not entitled to: that sir, is the province of the bounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR