Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old candy bars were called lunch bars?

Okay, you did it. I just had to go out and get a Moon Pie. I probably haven't had one since I was 10. Now taking a bite.
Reasonably chewy, but not as much filling as I remembered.
Could be moister, but at least not too sugary.
Chocolate coating is undistinguished.
Fourth bite now. Can't really distinguish what that filling is.
Now I'm just finishing it because it's there.
I can't say the mystique is justified. A Hostess Twinkie is more pleasing to the palate. But nothing tastes like it did because our tastebuds deteriorate along with everything else.

The Moon Pie is something, at least for me, I only enjoy as an adult because I loved it as a kid. If I had discovered it as an adult, I would probably have dismissed it as overly sweet, overly engineered, poor quality kid food. But I grew up with it and still like in a "half I like it and half nostalgia" way. Many Entenmanns cakes fall into this same category - because I ate them as a kid, I still enjoy them, but probably wouldn't if I had discovered them as an adult. Now, Marshmallow Fluff, I believe, I would love regardless of when I discovered it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fluff is as much a part of the New England soul as the Red Sox and swearing at snowplow drivers. There are few lunches more satisfying than a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a Fluffernutter.

Another New England cheap kiddie food that I still dearly love is Table Talk Pies. These are simply industrially-baked greasy-crusted gelatinous-fruit-filled pies sold in a tinfoil pan and a cardboard box at all respectable corner stores. You used to be able to get them delivered to your door by the Table Talk Pie Man, but that service has been gone for a long time. And the full-sized pies don't seem to be around any more either. But the single-serving ones, just the right size to fit in a brown bag or a dinner pail, are still very much with us, they're still cheap and greasy and filling. A Real Meal, as the saying goes. A Table Talk lemon pie will get you thru just about any afternoon.

Fluff is as much a part of the New England soul as the Red Sox and swearing at snowplow drivers. There are few lunches more satisfying than a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a Fluffernutter.

Another New England cheap kiddie food that I still dearly love is Table Talk Pies. These are simply industrially-baked greasy-crusted gelatinous-fruit-filled pies sold in a tinfoil pan and a cardboard box at all respectable corner stores. You used to be able to get them delivered to your door by the Table Talk Pie Man, but that service has been gone for a long time. And the full-sized pies don't seem to be around any more either. But the single-serving ones, just the right size to fit in a brown bag or a dinner pail, are still very much with us, they're still cheap and greasy and filling. A Real Meal, as the saying goes. A Table Talk lemon pie will get you thru just about any afternoon.

I've never had a Table Talk pie, but think I've seen them. I can't believe there is a cheap, Northeast kids food I missed. Somewhat relevant to our discussion earlier on supermarkets versus small grocery stores, it is the small grocery stores where I can usually find things like Table Talk pies (which is where I'll be looking for them over the next few days). So glad Fluff is woven into the fabric of the New England soul. We can run out of a lot of things in our kitchen, but I always make sure we have peanut butter and fluff on hand.

We didn't have Table Top Pies, but fried pies (or turnovers, or pasties, or whatever your region called them) were always a lunchbox staple. In the South, fried fruit pies (particularly peach pies) were called "crab lanterns", though that's an old, old term, and I have no idea where it comes from.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I hated fluff sandwiches when I was a kid. Although I had a pet I nicknamed "fluffer nutter peanut butter sandwich."

But yes, I endured many a peanut butter and fluff sandwich in my youth. I considered buying some fluff for my daughter the other day, but I don't think I want to get into another substance we must always have.

I think we called the fried pies (the ones coated in sugar) hand pies. Haven't had one in years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
McDonalds perpetuated fried pies across the nation in the '70s, those "Hot Apple Pie" things sold in a cardboard sleeve. They tasted like french fries soaked in applesauce, but I admit to developing a taste for them.

Aaah! I didn't know, what fluff means on food, but now I know. It's the same, like the usual marshmallow-cream from supermarket, here in Europe! Not my taste. It's too american. :confused:;)

By the way:

Germany loved "Raider"!

.... "Twix"! :D

All sorts of sweet bars are available on storebrands, here.

Aaah! I didn't know, what fluff means on food, but now I know. It's the same, like the usual marshmallow-cream from supermarket, here in Europe! Not my taste. It's too american. :confused:;)...

Hey, if we can embrace your crazy Nutella, you can try to like our ridiculous marshmallow fluff a little bit more. :) (truly just kidding around)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
How about a couple of Canadian delicacies, Cinnamon spread and butter tarts?

999999-59950495305.jpg

not-so-gooey-butter-tarts5801358786922.jpg

At fairs and everywhere else. All the time. Down South at least.

And in Hoosierland. I've been up there. I know.
[emoji14]

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Aaah! I didn't know, what fluff means on food, but now I know. It's the same, like the usual marshmallow-cream from supermarket, here in Europe! Not my taste. It's too american. :confused:;)

By the way:

Germany loved "Raider"!

.... "Twix"! :D

All sorts of sweet bars are available on storebrands, here.
Don't feel alone on that. I'm not much for the marshmallow fluff either. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Fried pies, on the other hand, are a culinary art form down here. You can usually find a really good one served about anywhere with a deep fryer on the premises. Although the truly best ones are pan fried.....in lard......by Grandma.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Hell, we have deep fried everything now at fairs all over America. Snicker bars, bananas...you name it..!!

The Texas State Fair is famous for its deep-fried ridiculousness. It's become the rage these days to deep fry liquid drinks. So for example, you can get deep fried sweet tea, deep fried caramel latte and deep fried Coca Cola, in addition to everything else from deep fried Oreos and deep fried butter. I have to admit, the Oreos ain't half bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo