Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old candy bars were called lunch bars?

green papaya

One Too Many
old fashioned candy bars were once used as a quick meal replacement

Peanut_Lunch_Bar.jpg

lunchbarsign.jpg

s7a69ppkevi9qz.jpg

candydogs.jpg

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
In the 20s and 30s, and into the 50s candy bars were thought of as a meal replacement by many. You missed "Chicken Dinner" and "Vegetable Sandwich", two chocolate bars first made in the 1920s. Chicken Dinner survived into the 1960s.

Today you can still buy meal replacement bars. They pretend to be different from candy bars but aren't very different after all.

green papaya

One Too Many
In the 20s and 30s, and into the 50s candy bars were thought of as a meal replacement by many. You missed "Chicken Dinner" and "Vegetable Sandwich", two chocolate bars first made in the 1920s. Chicken Dinner survived into the 1960s.

Today you can still buy meal replacement bars. They pretend to be different from candy bars but aren't very different after all.

yes, they are actually fancy candy bars, most of them are covered in chocolate with nuts, peanut butter, etc, theyre just candy bars sold as energy meal replacement bars with some extra protein so they can call it a meal replacement bar / Sports bar

Walmart has all kinds in the health food dept

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The idea was that they made a good energy boost for downtown office workers who only got a half-hour break for lunch -- not long enough for a proper meal, especially when the lunchrooms and drugstore counters were crowded -- but long enough to gobble a candy bar down, which would take the edge off their hunger until suppertime.

Planters Peanuts promoted themselves as "The Nickel Lunch" during this same mperiod.

rjb1

Practically Family
I referred to "RC Cola and Moon Pies" in the past tense since around here (Nashville) RC Cola in a bottle is hard to find. I have found it in cans in small quantities at the bigger grocery stores, but finding a traditional bottle of RC at a small market or convenience store has so far eluded me.
It may be out there somewhere but not nearly as much as it used to be.
However, Moon Pies are as prevalent as ever (except smaller in size).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
English author J.B. Priestley wrote about his first job, when he was a teen in the 1890s. At lunch time he would go to the "Arcade", an early shopping mall. There he would buy slabs of dates, nuts, and figs at a "health food" establishment which he used to "murder hunger". It was the cheapest food he could get, and he was saving his money for books and clothes.

rjb1

Practically Family
I did some searching for local (Nashville) commentary on RC Cola (and Moon Pies) and all the commenters talked about was how hard it was to find any RC Cola around here (my experience also).
So perhaps putting a lunch of "RC Cola and Moon Pie" in the past tense was more correct than I thought.

I did some searching for local (Nashville) commentary on RC Cola (and Moon Pies) and all the commenters talked about was how hard it was to find any RC Cola around here (my experience also).
So perhaps putting a lunch of "RC Cola and Moon Pie" in the past tense was more correct than I thought.

I just meant that it's still a "good lunch". I agree that it's getting harder to find RC.

rjb1

Practically Family
While we're on the topic of Southern edible delicacies, I am pleased to report that even though RC Cola seems to be on the downhill path, Goo Goo Clusters are on the way up. The company that makes them has expanded, they have a dedicated sales outlet in downtown Nashville, and have started Internet/foreign sales.
"Go get a Goo Goo, it's good!" (Grand Ol' Opry)

While we're on the topic of Southern edible delicacies, I am pleased to report that even though RC Cola seems to be on the downhill path, Goo Goo Clusters are on the way up. The company that makes them has expanded, they have a dedicated sales outlet in downtown Nashville, and have started Internet/foreign sales.
"Go get a Goo Goo, it's good!" (Grand Ol' Opry)

I love Goo Goo Clusters, but haven't seen any around here in years. I may have to go to Cracker Barrel.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I remember at the candy counter at the front of Josephine's Market (one of half a dozen or so family-operated groceries in my home town). This was the early 1960's. The store was directly across the street from the elementary school. When you didn't have a nickel for a regular candy bar, you could get a Lunch Bar for 3 cents. It was slimmer than most candy bars. I also remember "Bit-O-Honey" bars. The package was identical to the Pot-O-Honey pictured in post #19, except for the first word.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I referred to "RC Cola and Moon Pies" in the past tense since around here (Nashville) RC Cola in a bottle is hard to find. I have found it in cans in small quantities at the bigger grocery stores, but finding a traditional bottle of RC at a small market or convenience store has so far eluded me.
It may be out there somewhere but not nearly as much as it used to be.
However, Moon Pies are as prevalent as ever (except smaller in size).

http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/bottlers/sundroptn.shtml

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
The reason RC beat out Coca-Cola in the Depression South was value. Both cost a nickel, but Coke was in a 10-oz. bottle and RC was 12 oz., so you got more for your nickel. A Moon Pie was a nickel, too, so you got lunch for a dime.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Speaking of discontinued candy bars, one of my favorites was the Butternut bar. It was a very simple chocolate, caramel and peanut bar, but its chocolate coating had a very distinctive flavor that I liked. It was made by the Hollywood candy company, in Hollywood, MO, not the one in CA. Hershey bought out Hollywood and all their recipes and trademarks. They continue to make the non-milk chocolate Hollywood products, like Payday and Zero, but have never revived Butternut, probably because Hershey only makes its own distinctive milk chocolate. It's a shame. I'd give a lot to taste a Butternut bar again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo