Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I don't know what my grandma was thinking when she named my uncle Milton Morton, and I really don't know what my aunt was thinking when she named my cousin Jr.:eek: My brother in laws' grandfather is Juan Juan, he named his son Juan Juan II, grandson Juan Juan III and great-grandson Juan Juan IV.

I like boys names that sound of a strong character; Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar.

Girls names; Victoria, Alexandria, Constance

Odd ball names; Lucretia

I like the way Spanish and Portuguese names sound like a melody; they put a couple together and you want to start snapping the castenets.:)

My grandfather's name is Anacleto. I've only ran into one person named that. One time on Price is Right they called a guy whose name was Anacleto and Bob Barker was looking for a woman. He was surprised that it was a man. The name comes from the Roman; Anacletus.

Another time on Price is Right there was a man named Isabella!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The deal is, those two names exist in English, Spanish and French, and are pronounced the same in each language. My wife and I have relatives whose native languages are English, Spanish and French, so ...

But the accent falls on different syllables depending on the region. The safest bet for a polyglot name is...
Taxi.
:rolleyes: ;) :)

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Mine is "Theodore Michael". Not very common these days but then again my parents named me after TR.

My 2 sisters are: Elizabeth Ashley and Emily Elizabeth

This graph is pretty cool to see how popular different names are throughout the last 100+ yrs. Theodore has a huge peak right around the turn of the century - not surprising - and has been falling off since then.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

GateXC said:
This graph is pretty cool to see how popular different names are throughout the last 100+ yrs. Theodore has a huge peak right around the turn of the century - not surprising - and has been falling off since then.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Wow! Daniel is number 7 in 2004 but it was 42 in 1930. On the opposite end, Joyce was 12 in the 30s while it is 758 today. I prefer names that every other person doesn't have but Daniel is interesting. I never meet any around here. [huh] Interesting. Maybe it is regional?

Regards,

J

P.S. Nobody mentioned Everett yet.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
The only thing I like about my name is that it is spelled with a "K." In Eastern Europe, Karol-with-a-K is a man's name, it is a woman's name in the midwest, and I guess only in the midwest. I wouldn't name a dog Karol, or Carol, or Carroll, or....

Could have been worse: I could have been named after one of my grandmothers: Ethel or Bessie (and the latter is not a diminutive of another name). Or my Aunt Helen. Helen is not such a bad name, but my Aunt Helen was a vile creature, who lived a long time, proving the addage the good die young.

If I had decided to have children, who knows what I would have named them back in the 60's or 70's. A boy, then, I would probably have named Michael. Always liked the name. Also, Jack. Always liked that name, too. But, now, I would name the boys after angels -- yes, Michael, Rafael, and Gabriel. A girl would have been Gabrielle or maybe Selena.

If I could have named myself, it would be a name out of classical antiquity, i.e., Phaedra, Desdemona, Viola, Jocasta, Rosalind, Electra. Or, better still, name me after one of the bad girls in the bible: Delilah, Jezebel, Salome (where she danced), Bathsheba. Now, those were names!

You can have all the biblical Mary, Martha, Rachel, Sarah, good woman names, I will be:

Delilah Lightner

Weston

A-List Customer
I should know better than to give away our precious names, but at least no one I know will see them and take them! LOL

For a daughter: Audrey Louise (after Audrey Hepburn and my Grandmother)
for a son: John Cole Weston II (to be nicknamed "Jack")

As an FYI as to someone's list, I go by "Cole". Never seemed vintage to me though. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Spanish names

My grandma's brothers; Juan, Luis, Sidoro, Tomas, Julio, Baptiste, Cecilio
My grandma's sisters; Constance, Isabella, Maria, Leona, Minnie,Lola

Grandpa's brothers; Juan, Francisco, Manuel
Grandpa's sisters; Santia, Maria

Grandma's sister; Tomasia, Moncha, Consension, Maria, Catherine, Nina, Minnie
Grandma's brothers; Juan, Antonio, Nelo

Novella

Practically Family
As far as old names go I like Adelaide and any variants - like Adele, Adeline. Norma and Ruby are also nice (but mostly because I think Norma Shearer and Ruby Keeler are fantastic). One of my all time favorite names is Sophia. I think it sounds glamourous without being gaudy. Carolina is pretty, and someone else mentioned Virginia, which is a lovely, lovely name that I also like. Oh, and Samantha too. I could really go on for days.

There's a sort of tradition with the name Rose in a branch of my family. It was my great grandma's name (from Rozalija), my grandmother's middle name, and now my middle name. I like it so if I ever have kids I'd be tempted to use it as a middle name (but maybe convert it back to Rozalija!).

For boys I really like Noah and Oliver. Oh, and James too, but it's such a popular name

That link is really cool! It's fun to type in names of actors/historical figures and see how the popularity of names corresponds to their time - like Franklin or Roosevelt.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Lena_Horne said:
It depends on whom it is that I marry (long story) but I have two sets of names that I particularly enjoy picked out.

Girls A:

Lillian Edith
Mariette Ingrid
Anna Julia
Eleanor Rose
Catharine Marie
Giada Camille

Boys A:

First son will be named after their father
James Moore (after my grandfather)
Gregory August
Robert David
Julian Ard?©

Girls B:

Lillian Edith
Grace Lena
Eleanor Rose
Anna Julia
Margaret Dorothy
Catherine Josephine
Nina Elizabeth

Boys B:

First boy will be named after father (once again)
James Moore (once again)
David Langston
Henry Nelson
Robert Cecil
Charles Paul
Cole Truman
Francis Andrew

I like to think I pick out names that emphasize either femininity or masculinity where appropriate.

L_H

Now I've had the urge to explain some of my name choices. The first two boys names are already explained.

Lillian is for the character from Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged (don't tell me how it ends I haven't finished it yet and I've been reading it for going on two years now.) Edith is because I liked the nickname Edie the moment I heard it, and Edie Falco of course.

Grace (I admit I was watching Will & Grace) mostly because I just like the sound of it and its so simple. Lena for Ms. Horne of course.

Eleanor for Mrs. Roosevelt (FDR's wife not TR Jr's) and Rose because I liked the way it sounded with Eleanor.

Anna Julia for Anna Julia Cooper a wonderful Black figure and writer from the 1800s through the mid-twentieth century. That and her name was gorgeous.

Margaret because it was old-fashioned and sounded nice. That and I can call her "Magpie." Dorothy for Dorothy Dandridge (though my grandmother's name is also Dorothy and if she asks I'll just avoid the hollering-fest and tell her I named the child after her.)

Nina for Nina Simone.

David for my favorite male figure in the bible. Langston for Mr. Hughes of course.

Henry because I wanted to be able to call him Harry after Harry Belafonte (not Harry Potter as my sister may immediately insist. Though it is ironic since I used to dislike that nickname intensely. As for the correlation between Henry and the forementioned Lillian. Nope. That would be turned into Hank and I refuse to go there.)

Robert is most identified with my intense appreciation of the Kennedy by that name. And I just wanted to use Cecil.

Charles so that I may call him Chas. The Paul for Paul Robeson or Paul Newman depending on the day but more likely the former.

I like the name Julian and the Ard?© is for the watchmaker himself Ard?© Bulova for what he did to help Jews during WWII as well as his tremendous efforts at home when peacetime came to be.

The rest of those names I just enjoyed too much to toss out. But I'll admit, there's probably no way I'm having quite that many babies unless this writing thing works out and I'm suddenly sitting on a pile of money.;)

L_H

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Glad the link is going over well. It's great for wasting time at work.

Playing the "what made X name popular at a given time" game is a lot of fun.
I punched in my mom's name "Brigitte" (she's Austrian) and it only shows up as a small blip in the 60's - clearly Brigitte Bardot's influence.

My real name didn't even make the top 1,000: Giacomo. No wonder people still can't pronounce it.

If I ever had twin girls I might have to be rather cruel and name them Nadine and Mabelline. I've always liked Atticus for a boy (To Kill a Mockingbird) though I already took in a stray cat and named him that. The cat that owns me now goes by the name of Tallulah.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana