Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

JA-ko-mo.

If you recall, Danny Kaye's name in The Court Jester was Sir Giacomo.

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!"

It was also Casanova's first name, so you can imagine the ribbing I get from people who know. My surname is Castronovo .

Regards,

Senator Jack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So...

...You're Swedish, then?

I hadn't considered Ja instead of Ya. Now I know! My daughter's name (Adriana) is routinely mispronounced.

Laura San Giacamo was the only time I heard someone say it Ya-co-mo. Then she was introduced on Letterman, and he said Gee-ah-co-mo.

Well, my native Italian neighbor does pronounce it more with more a hard palatized Ya, but other natives have gone with the Ja. Maybe it depends on region.

I was surprised by the pronounciation of Laura San Giacomo's name myself. Except for mispronunciation, I had never heard it that way. Perhaps she got tired of people butchering it as well. To this day I still get, GUY-a-co-mo from people.

Regards,

SJ

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's my favorite Spanish first name. Well, not really my favorite, but:

Policarpo

Policarpo rubbed the lamp
A Genie did appear

"A wish is yours, little scamp!"
Policarpo shook in fear

He thought a bit;
then he knew
the wish that he must make

"This fishy name has got to go!
Make me a Jimmy or Jake!"

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I also like the names; Anselmo, Ary, Francis Xavier, Thomas Moore, Thomas Aquinas, Dwight David(Eisenhower), Douglas Arthur(MacArthur), George Smith (Patton), Ronald Wilson (Reagan):)

LittleArquette

New in Town
Weird Names

I come from a family of strange names.

Toni's and Vinni's litter my Italian isde of the family tree (We're those sterotypical Italians),and Mary's and Polly's litter the Irish side.

My birth name is Jordan Mercedes G. (Witholding last name of course). I was supposed to be named either "Belinda Madonna" or "Bianca Madonna". I think I could handle Belinda Madonna,but Bianca sounds odd..

My grandmother was born in the 30's and she was named Maime Louise. I think its a nice name! My mothers name is Glory Be,my father and his father are Robert Benardo,and my moms parents are named :Robert,and Amelia.

My favorite old sounding names are Mary Jane,Emma Jane,Varaline,Belinda,and NessaRose. For boys Zantium,Charles,Berlin (Someone meantioned the name earlier and I just fell in love with it),or Vinni. Though,if my husband could handle it I'd name one of my girls Absynthia (Yes,yes,a lil gothic lolita escaping).

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
My daughter's name is old-fashioned. It is Charlotte Morgan. Charlotte going back several generations, Morgan because it was uncommon-- we thought. Now, I can name at least three of her friends from school named Morgan...

My wife is Michelena, showing her Italian heritage.

our son is Garett Giovanni. He is named after myself and my wife's father in an interesting way. I am the third Garett Jon in my family (each generation spelled it differently). My wife's father is named Giovanni, which is the Italian equivalent to "John". So if you count Giovanni as a "John" name, that makes my son the fourth generation with that name.

My wife's mother and grandmother are both Dorothy's. Personally, I realy like that name. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law hated being named Dorothy and made us vow to never name a child after her.

For future kids, I really like the name Dashiell, but my wife hasn't warmed up to it yet.

If we have another son, my wife wants to name him Tate. I kind of like that. I told her we should make that the middle name. First name possibilities: Levi, or Agi. Maybe Gravi...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My daughter is Ella Louise

as picked by my wife, who for years said that if we were ever blessed with a little girl, she would name her Emily May, a name she'd conceived of when she was but a girl herself. It took me a while to take to Ella, for a long time it made me think of Ella Fitzgerald, whose voice I love, and seemed tantamount to naming a boy 'Elvis'. It grew on me quickly though. Louise is the name of a good friend of ours. Maybe if we have another girl, she'll be named Emily.

So I get to pick the boys names. 'Ray' runs in my family; my grandfather was Horatio, and my Dad was Walter Ray (he hated being called Walter!). My half brother is Raymond, and his son Raymond Scott (Scotty). So there'll be a Ray in there some place. As for first names, I always liked Curtis, but have taken to Wyatt and Isaiah - very different names for sure! Well, we've got to have a boy first!

BTW, I'm a Wesley, named in honour of the Methodist chuch in which my parents were married in 1965, the Wesley Chapel in Leichhardt. My wife and I were also married there in 1998.

decodoll

Practically Family
I've always thought Ane or Kirstine after my gramma (Ane Kirstine) even though she'd be doomed to a life of everyone thinking her name had a typo all the time. It's the Danish spelling. Other names I've always liked are Drusilla after the sister in Reap the Wild Wild, Audrey, Tabitha and Betty. For a boy, I like Sean.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I heard a mom the other day calling her little boy "Avery" -- just like the cigar-chomping old grouch who used to be a regular in the "Gasoline Alley" comic strip...

pep-uncleavery.jpg

Not quite the image one usually associates with a rowdy tricycle-riding toddler, but a charmingly-retro name nonetheless...

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap Points, kudos and a big cigar just for knowing the Gasoline Alley strip nevermind instantly associating the name Avery with the Alley's resident cigar chomper. :eusa_clap

CharlieH.

One Too Many
If I ever had a son, his name would have to be one of these - Norman, Preston, Cecil, Benny, Charles (III), Jack, Walter, Ferdinand, Simon, Roman, Vito, Glenn, Jerry, Irving, Lionel, Harold, Ronald, Henry, Roger, Eugene, Edward, Timothy, Harry, Rochester, Frederick, Theodore or simply Louis.

If it's a girl, then it's Kathryn. No contest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto