Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old question....Moth holes

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep, I'm sure you're tired ot this one coming up, but it's always good to review. (poor excuse, but it's the best I can do on short notice. :rolleyes: ) I have found a Mallory in an local antique store that, for all intents and purposes, is in pretty good shape for it's age. It's in my size, and is about the same condition that my Borsalino was when I first got it, then sent it to Art for reconditioning. It's now one of my mainliner warm weather wear hats.

The Mallory is only $5, and I'm picking it up this weekend (at least that's my plan), but it has a few pretty deep moth holes in the crown and brim. I've never seen holes in a hat like this before, as we just don't see them that much in my area, though I understand this is a regularily seen occurance on the West Coast.

My question is, can these holes be 'fixed' or somehow dealt with by a professional hat maker to the point the hat can be worn? They're not a lot, but the one's there are deep and perfectly round. Nothing all the way through that I could tell.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards! Michaelson

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I remember reading in a thread about this some time ago, what I remember was, if the nibbles are shallow sometimes they can be pounced out. If they are deeper someone said you could scrape or sand some felt off the inside of the crown and with just a touch of glue put it into the hole, let it set up and then with some really high grit sand paper repounce the spot. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe someone here has tried it and could give their experience on it.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well that depends, it would be a nice summer weight felt fedora afterwards. In your neck of the woods it gets kinda warm in the summer doesn't it? So maybe it would work after all.

fedoralover

Michaelson

One Too Many
That's right. It's just the same weight as my vintage light weight Borsalino. I'm hoping there's something that can be done. Guess I'll see after it's been cleaned. Heck, for all I know it may completely fall apart during that phase. :rolleyes: ;) Regards! Michaelson

I have "fixed" moth holes the way Fed metioned. You have to be really careful in how you do it though. The color will match but the glue has to dry CLEAR. Even though it is put at the bottom of the hole, some may come to the surface through the material. I like plain old Elmer's for this but there are probably many others that work. You can get a pretty good fix if you go slow and carefully apply the "patch" material.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot