Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oooh... Pacific Issue A-2 In Australian Sheepskin

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
I just spotted on SMW, that they have made a limited run of A-2 jackets, based on the jackets they made for the Angelina Jolie movie 'Unbroken'.

The jackets are reproductions of the WW2 Pacific contract replacements.
http://smwholesaleusa.com/a-2-aviator-jacket-story

IMG_3108Web.jpg

IMG_5761Web.jpg

Good price with some very nice details, and a bit different from the normal Horsehide A-2...

Want one! :D

Anyone here own one, and can let me know what the quality is like? I own/have owned some other SMW bits, and usually excellent quality.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I don't know but that sheepskin jacket is REALLY talking to me. I like the look. Just hate jumping in with no knowledge of the manufacturer.

Worf

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
I don't know but that sheepskin jacket is REALLY talking to me. I like the look. Just hate jumping in with no knowledge of the manufacturer.

Worf

I know, I'm the same.

However I have owned several jackets (but not leather), as well as 2 pairs of boots from SMW, and the quality and authenticity has been outstanding. I suspect, that in fact these are a bit of a steal for the money authenticity wise... They make their money through supplying huge amounts of extremely accurate WW2 kit for things like Band Of Brothers. They supplied all the M42 Jump Uniforms and boots for that. Most WW2 re-enactors rate SMW repros very highly.

But its still a lot of money to throw at something unknown. But hey, even ELC etc have bad examples of workmanship from time to time, so we do take risks wherever we buy.

I'm VERY tempted now I'm feeling that my A-2 is a bit loose on me. 36r for me I think, when I can spare the cash, and I suppose if I don't like it, its still accurate enough in the details to get most of my money back on the Bay.

I have just emailed SMW, to see if they will take some extra pics of the stitching, and perhaps with somebody wearing their size so I can see how they fit... Will update if/when I hear back.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Very cool "distressed" looking sheepskin A-2; not sure about the durability of that specific hide though. Kinda reminds me of the Ralph Lauren RRL "authentic" A-2 that were selling for $1,000 (great looking and reasonably authentic but made in China).
Still, a nice looking jacket (and not your standard HH/goat A-2).

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Very cool "distressed" looking sheepskin A-2; not sure about the durability of that specific hide though. Kinda reminds me of the Ralph Lauren RRL "authentic" A-2 that were selling for $1,000 (great looking and reasonably authentic but made in China).

Yes, although SMW go for accuracy rather than fashion like RL, so the cut should be more like originals than the RL stuff (they tend to use the looks of WW2 jackets, but use modern slim fit cuts).

And nothing wrong with made in China, as long as its in a decent factory where they know what they are doing/have proper quality control. The SMW stuff I have had before was made in the US and Mexico, so not sure where these A-2s are made.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face

There you go - the distressed one is Steerhide and now massively discounted - Putting an order in next week, but thinking standard Russet...

http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/aged-a2-jacket

Brettafett

One Too Many
They do look tempting... Would like to see some fit pics though. I have emailed them, but as yet no reply. Did you receive any other measurements? I like the chocolate, perhaps the chestnut, not a fan of bright orange russet hues... ;) Looking forward to your review and modeling pics!

w126c

New in Town
Is it just me, those cuff knits looked like they are seemed. Shows up in the close up of the chocolate A-2.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As I said in a previous post. I ordered a B-10 cap from these folks and paid for it via PayPal and haven't heard hide nor hair from em in over 3 weeks. If it's not here by the first of April I'll go to the authorities. I've emailed em twice and still haven't heard a word......

Caveat Emptror...

Worf

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

Brettafett

One Too Many
Well, I was interested for a while in a knock-around and this looked pretty good. I have sent them two emails and heard nothing, but have read some 'iffy' remarks in a few places online.... so, no longer interested, not that SM cares it seems.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I e-mailed them for measurements of the size 46 and 48 distressed A-2 jackets asking for the 3 basic measurements: pit to pit, sleeve and back length.

Their reply? A very curt: 27" across and 25" sleeves.

I e-mailed again asking which size those measurements were for. Their succinct reply: 48.

Not overly verbose about their product or a potential sale but then maybe they're just really, really busy. I've crossed them off my list for any future purchase.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
That's a shame you have had problems with communications from them. I never had a problem with them when ordering in the past and the products are great, but they are indeed quiet on the communications front.

But then they are not a traditional retailer, but a Wholesaler aiming for bulk sales to other stores and movie productions. I don't think they know how to communicate with regular customers. But you do get the products and they are top-end. The only reason they even sell to the public is the MOQs for supply of say 100 jackets for a movie, but they make up 200 to reduce cost per item and sell the rest.

I'm not one for endlessly chatting with sellers anyway, as long as the product speaks for itself, and it arrives.

It is difficult to order when they don't give clear dimensions though...

Do I mind not having a friendly conversation or a back-rub, for a jacket as nice as their A-2, when its a very reasonable price? Not really.
You just have to know that's how it is with SMW and stay relaxed about it. The main reason we worry when there is lack of comms or slow delivery is that we have been ripped off, but SMW have been around for years and will continue to be. They are not cowboys, but nor are they good salespeople. But then if they were, their kit would be very popular and known about, and the prices would go up! Its always been worth the wait/minimal comms when the product arrives. My boots and jackets from them have been very special indeed, in comparison with other manufacturers of the same model jacket/boots. Best US para boots and jackets you can get, by a very long way.

Many WW2 repro stores sell the SMW German kit, as those Wehrmacht re-enactors are a picky bunch, and only the SMW is good enough for them. Same as the film people who want the best WW2 repro kit, use SMW for their attention to detail and quality.

Don't think of them as a shop, think of them as a costumier who happens to sell some lovely extras by the back door...

Last edited:

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Is it just me, those cuff knits looked like they are seemed. Shows up in the close up of the chocolate A-2.

Possibly on the prototype, but it clearly says tube knit (or similar), and they are sticklers for accuracy. They won't send you a jacket with seams on the knits when they know the originals were tube knit.

Brettafett

One Too Many
If I was in the US, I'd pick one up for sure, even just to check fit & feel. I'd get Aerial Stars, G&Bs, SMs and compare the all! Easy to return. However, online sellers that cater to overseas clients should try to be more aware of the issues that overseas buyers face, its just not that easy for us. Extra postage costs (ESP if having to return), long postage and refund delays and nasty import duties, exchange rates, etc
It would all be so much simpler if these guys would communicate. Give measurements, send samples, answer questions... Whether you want to sell bulk or a single item its customer service! For me this is a dead give-away.
I don't care if you have the best jacket in the world, if you can't be bothered to reply to an email...
Not to re-run, but look at GW again, everyone agrees best jackets on most accounts, but his customer service (for a small operator) is fantastic. I have always received replies within a couple of days (no matter how ambiguous the questions), always detailed and friendly replies and their passion for their product and appreciation for your interest always shine through. Sterling example of how an operation should be run.
ELC, BK and some of the others generally also pretty good.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Steve from SMW has sent several gracious follow-up e-mails re my inquiry into the distressed model A-2 jacket. I appreciated his reply and his customer support communication.
I'm back to being tempted! VERY tempted! Ugh! There's no avoiding the "buy a new leather jacket bug"!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart