1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Open Road homburg

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ScottF, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ScottF

ScottF Call Me a Cab

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Redfokker and Desert dog like this.
  3. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Looks like someone played with a homburg flange to me. The binding would be wider and the curl more pronounced if it were intended as a homburg, IMO.

4. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Someone could have taken a curling shackle to it.

5. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat Call Me a Cab

A black Stetson Open Road!! Well all right!
    Many covet a black OR including me!!
    Someone just curled the brim up. You could flatten it out to a regular OR but i think i’d wear it like that awhile first. Canadian maybe??
    Maybe we could see the inside tags etc. sometime. Like immediately!! Lol
    Uber nice ScottF, to be sure.
    Bowen

6. ScottF

ScottF Call Me a Cab

no it's absolutely a factory curl. <== not as absolutely certain as I was initially :)

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Special order?

8. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

What the others have said. It may have been done buy the factory, but it's not a "proper" homburg binding. Nor is it a proper homburg ribbon for that matter. I'm all for homburgs, but this just looks odd somehow.

9. ScottF

ScottF Call Me a Cab

you guys are probably right.

here are the tags

Resized_20180913_142020_6258.jpeg

Redfokker and deadlyhandsome like this.
  10. AbbaDatDeHat

C971ACA5-5A9E-4FAA-9D62-CD5294628B65.jpeg 15E85D5A-4296-4555-BC6D-75C2DF45B408.jpeg 23265D24-1AAE-4477-A8D2-1D6CDC23C307.jpeg ^^^I have an oddball Stetson Open Trail with a brim like that. The curl appears original to me. Not sure how you’d tell though. It’s not as old as your OR. I don’t know if that helps but odd balls are out there. All the more to like!
    What strikes me as very unique with your’s is the black color in one that age. I totally dig it!!
    B

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Whoa, I like that hat!

12. AbbaDatDeHat

Well all right!! Ain’t no Canadian, just a good old black sheep!!
    Ok...i’ll grovel...if ever, ever that hat was to leave your stewardship, i’ll give it a high place along side some friends to make it feel right at home!!! Major grovel grovel!
    B

Redfokker, steur, Bamaboots and 2 others like this.
  13. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

AFAIK this style is referred to as a Hemphill Open Road. Miller used to offer a model, but since their disappearance and reappearance I don't think it's back.

Redfokker likes this.
  14. ScottF

ScottF Call Me a Cab

Thanks - after seeing your above post, I searched the forum and found a 2007 thread referring to the Hemphill style. When I first found the hat I immediately thought "Franken-hat", but the liner matches the sweat and the attachments for both look original and the ribbon looks right. I wandered along the street aimlessly waiting for you guys to respond to this thread, then finally went back and bought it. I appreciate all the help immensely, as my brain was tied in a knot.

I appreciate hat-groveling!

15. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

I think calling it the "Doc Adams" after the doc off Gunsmoke is appropriate. If you look at his hat from the first seasons it looked like a hybrid Open Road meets Homburg.

16. Roadopen

Roadopen One of the Regulars

That looks like an earlier take on what could be a Homburg breed?
    I'd keep it like that for the time being until you figured out what the real score with that beauty.:cool:

I've seen some similar online and as of late as it stands I'm really into the Homburg style/model right now specially of the upcoming fall inclement weather just around the corner here. But of course I am still quite stoked with my first OR i had just gotten a few days ago.;)

Will post of my Homburg to share soon, just got to figure out a very reliable photo dumping site around the net as the one i have used gave me grief in formatting let alone took forever to post properly. But i'll get there.:rolleyes:

Cheers!

deadlyhandsome and Redfokker like this.
  17. Roadopen

Roadopen One of the Regulars

This grey one also rocks for me!!
    Man those Homburgs are one of a kind all in it's own style with get up worthy.

Peace!
    Roadopen

Redfokker likes this.
  18. AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  19. That is a cool one too Bowen.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  20. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

Here's an example from the Stetson Hemphill Open Road line. Rolled sides & a swoop & draw on the front brim.

IMG_9591.JPG

I think my Churchill Dalworth "40" OR clone is the same style.

[​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat, Redfokker, RJR and 2 others like this.