Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions Please

bd3

New in Town
I'm fairly new around here and have been shopping around for a Fedora. I would like to ask for some opinions on the Jaxon line of Fedoras. Are they of good quality? Hold their shape? Do they run true to size? Is a raw finish better or a welt finish? etc. I've never owned a Fedora before so I'm not familiar with all the different brands.

The one I like the look of is the Jaxon Bogart in gray.

To the mods if this type of post is not permitted, (asking about specific brands) please delete it and drop me a pm letting me know.

Thank you,

Bill

duggap

Banned
Well ole chap, you know about opinions. But I will give you my point of view. If you are just embarking on this fedora trip, I would strongly suggest you visit a store that sells hats and try on some different ones to see which one you like and which one best fits you. Your avatar says you are in Ky. Don't know how far you are from Cincinnati but there is a great hat shop there. Search and read some of the threads on the quality of new hats. Some of the folks here swear by buying the older vintage hats as they, for the most part, are better hats than what is produced today. The most common and best quality of the new hats produced to day is the Akurba. Then, depending on your wallet, there is the custom hats. Good luck on your trip but read and search the lounge. You will save a lot of time and money. Welcome aboard.

bd3

New in Town
I'm more southern in Kentucky. Cinci is over 120 miles from me. If I were going to be passing through there I'd be inclined to go to that shop. I actually live in the middle of no where. From where I live its over 10 miles to the nearest grocery. Anyhow, thank you for replying to my post.

Bill

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I had a jaxon Bogart and it was a decent hat for the price. You would not be disappointed. But given the current pricing of Akubras I would go with one of those. As I said tho I enjoyed my Jaxon but when I got my Gray from Art I never wore it again so it went to someone else. Hope that helps a little.:)

RBH

Bartender
Check out [on line] Miller Hats or Peters Brothers, both in Texas.
Nice folks to work with. Or give one of the hatters that are members here a holler. They are great folk and will do all they can to make sure you are happy.

P.S. be sure to have a correct measurement of your head!

Good luck!

bd3

New in Town
I'm closer to Knoxville than Memphis. Closest larger city to me is Lexington, 40 miles north. Far as I can find though, there are no Hat shops up there.

I'll try to find some of the hatters here. To be honest, I never thought of any of the people here as retailing hats. Don't know why, it just never crossed my mind.

Thanks,
Bill

rrog

A-List Customer
You'll find there are some true connoisseurs here on TFL. As such, some of them will only recommend very nice, top-of-the-line hats. I'm a newbie myself, so I'm happy with a Stetson and looking forward to my recently ordered (but not yet received) Akubra. From what I've read, just about everyone would freely advise you to buy an Akubra. And with the current exchange rate with the Australian dollar, you can get a good deal. (There's another thread about Akubra's and their value due to the exchange rate - it's a good thread). These guys can also tell you about the little nuances about each style and brand of hats. When I'm researching something to buy, I like those tidbits of information.

My advise is basically the same as when people ask me which gun they should get for self defense. My answer is simply "one that you'll practice with and carry because it won't due any good sitting in a gun safe at the house." So get a hat that you like and one that you will wear. Also hang around these guys very long and you won't believe how much hat stuff you'll learn.

I got a brand new Stetson last January for my birthday and since then, I've purchased three more off of eBay. All three are vintage hats and were under $100 combined. So you don't have to spend a bunch to start your hat collection. eBay could be a good place to start.

And welcome to the lounge. Great guys and gals are here and they're usually more than happy to help. Come on in, sit down and stay a while. By the way, I'm in the Knoxville area here; we'll see you next Saturday for Phil's last stand.

rrog

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rrog I am in Crossville every summer for about a week. You should come down then, the 1st weekend we are there we always get all u can eat catfish at the Cumberland State Park rest.!:D

bd3

New in Town
rrog said:
By the way, I'm in the Knoxville area here; we'll see you next Saturday for Phil's last stand.

rrog

Thanks for the info, rrog but I'm afraid I don't understand what the above is in reference to.

Bill

rrog

A-List Customer
tinmanzzz said:

What he said.

Explanation: TN plays KY this Saturday. Phil Fulmer has been fired as head coach. Saturday is his last... aw, nevermind. If you have to explain it, it wasn't a good joke in the first place! But how 'bout them Vols? I think we may have a basketball team again this year.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
indycop said:
rrog I am in Crossville every summer for about a week. You should come down then, the 1st weekend we are there we always get all u can eat catfish at the Cumberland State Park rest.!:D

Is that the one that has the all-you-can-eat sea food buffet on Friday nights? If so, we drove over there a few years ago. It was really nice. We would definitely enjoy another visit to that restaurant. And I'm sure the company would be nice too.

rrog

bd3

New in Town
rrog said:
What he said.

Explanation: TN plays KY this Saturday. Phil Fulmer has been fired as head coach. Saturday is his last... aw, nevermind. If you have to explain it, it wasn't a good joke in the first place! But how 'bout them Vols? I think we may have a basketball team again this year.

rrog

I understand now. I'm not a sports fan so it wasn't the joke. It was me.

Thanks for explaining.

Bill

lincoln1965

New in Town
rrog said:
You'll find there are some true connoisseurs here on TFL. As such, some of them will only recommend very nice, top-of-the-line hats. I'm a newbie myself, so I'm happy with a Stetson and looking forward to my recently ordered (but not yet received) Akubra. From what I've read, just about everyone would freely advise you to buy an Akubra. And with the current exchange rate with the Australian dollar, you can get a good deal. (There's another thread about Akubra's and their value due to the exchange rate - it's a good thread). These guys can also tell you about the little nuances about each style and brand of hats. When I'm researching something to buy, I like those tidbits of information.

My advise is basically the same as when people ask me which gun they should get for self defense. My answer is simply "one that you'll practice with and carry because it won't due any good sitting in a gun safe at the house." So get a hat that you like and one that you will wear. Also hang around these guys very long and you won't believe how much hat stuff you'll learn.

I got a brand new Stetson last January for my birthday and since then, I've purchased three more off of eBay. All three are vintage hats and were under $100 combined. So you don't have to spend a bunch to start your hat collection. eBay could be a good place to start.

And welcome to the lounge. Great guys and gals are here and they're usually more than happy to help. Come on in, sit down and stay a while. By the way, I'm in the Knoxville area here; we'll see you next Saturday for Phil's last stand.

rrog

rrog,

What town do you live in near Knoxville? I grew up in northeast Tennessee in Hawkins County. I have been in Colorado for the last 20 years.

rrog

A-List Customer
lincoln1965 said:
rrog,

What town do you live in near Knoxville? I grew up in northeast Tennessee in Hawkins County. I have been in Colorado for the last 20 years.

I'm in a little town called New Market. It's up 11E about 20 miles from I40. The next biggest town is Jefferson City. There's a college there called Carson-Newman College. That's about all it's known for. I know where Hawkins County is and am vaguely familiar with it. It's one of those counties that's still "country." You know, where a man's word is better than a signed contract, where you put in a hard day's work for a fair day's pay, and if you're not careful, you'll cross the wrong fence and run smack dab into a farm which specializes in hippie lettuce! Then you're politely asked by a gentleman with a double barrel shotgun to leave his property RIGHT NOW. Yeah, I'm sort of familiar with it. ;) Last time I was there was for a hike, about 6 years ago.

rrog

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Jaxon

My first "modern' fedora was a Jaxon Bogart (I've had a used Penney's Marathon since I was about 18), and I actually wore it last Saturday to the Queen Mary event. It looks good, and has an adjustable sweat band, but the felt may be too "soft" for those who prefer a snap brim. Also, the welt finish is a bit thick for some tastes. Having said that, a Jaxon Bogart is still a decent choice for a beginner on a fixed budget.

bd3

New in Town
Widebrim said:
My first "modern' fedora was a Jaxon Bogart (I've had a used Penney's Marathon since I was about 18), and I actually wore it last Saturday to the Queen Mary event. It looks good, and has an adjustable sweat band, but the felt may be too "soft" for those who prefer a snap brim. Also, the welt finish is a bit thick for some tastes. Having said that, a Jaxon Bogart is still a decent choice for a beginner on a fixed budget.

Thanks for that info, Widebrim. I'm kind of torn between the Jaxon and a Dobbs Strand at the moment. I've found a place that has them with only about $10 difference in price.

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to reply to this thread. I'm still learning. Snap brim is something else I need to learn the meaning.

Thanks again,
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou