Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering a Bogie Style from Optimo...

Minnesota_Jones

Familiar Face
I've got a call into Optimo for a new fedora I'd like to pick-up on our roadtrip out east. Thinking a Bogart Lid akin to Casablanca.

EDIT: I took the plunge, and Kevin got me all hooked up! See below...

Minnesota_Jones

Familiar Face
I think Rundquist's Bogie Style was a Phantom Blue in color....

I've just ordered a Skyline Blue in the Middle Weight Felt, with a 19 Line Ribbon in Blue Metal with the Bogie Teardrop styling and 2 1/8 brim. I'll be picking it up on June 1st when we go thru Chicago on the Roadtrip! Now the hardest part is the waiting til the 1st....

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I would talk to Graham. They tried to do a Bogart style for me in that weight and it didn't look good. They made a new one in a light weight and it came out great. I would hate to see you go through all the trouble....and expense to discover the same thing.

Actually I am surprised that they agreed to make a Bogie in that felt.

Check out this thread. It is long but worth it if it helps you avoid a problem.

http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
A 2 1/8 brim would be quite stingy for a Bogie, imho. I'd recommend at least a 2.5".

Most of Bogie's hats looked like they had a Cavanagh welted edge. To emulate this, you'd need to get a stitched welted edge, much like MK got from them.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Or if you get the opportunity, get a bogie-esque cavanagh (which comes with a cavanagh edge ;)) and have optimo work their magic, like that one guy had done....

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vintage Cavanagh I had Optimo reblock and clean for Daryl. It's the most "Bogiesque" hat I've ever seen. The felt is about as thick as an Optimo "heavyweight". Probably made in the late 30's-early 40's. Price tag said $20. If you really want a Bogie, have them emulate MK's hat, or this one.

104_0496-vi.jpg

104_0499-vi.jpg

104_0484-vi.jpg

104_0485-vi.jpg

104_0493-vi.jpg

GCR

New in Town

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
No, but I hope didn't get suckered into thinking it was the coat from the movie.

Daryl needs to fess-up to his trench coat. Inquiring minnds want to know.

In fact I am going to copy part of this thread and move it to the coat section so that we don't completely hijack this thread.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21