Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Origami

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm an active hat collector, a vintage clothing enthusiast, a hobby musician, and at heart I'm a shutterbug (without a good camera, the knowledge, or the time)... But I also am an amateur origamist.

I mainly fold from books, but have also occasionally dabbled in designing original models. Does anyone else share in this passion?

Was origami a commonly practiced art in the vintage era? How popular was it here in America, as opposed to Asian regions?

Show us your origami projects here!

Cheers,

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Not a hobby per se. No fancy stuff, just some basic ones learned as a kid. Origami is one of our traditional play craft, after all :D
origami1W.jpg

The simple, basic ones are very good tools for rehablitation as exercise of the fingertips, and mental acuity for the aged.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Nice work, LaMedicine.
Is the green one ,behind the lotus, a fox?
I would like to find a good wolf design. The only one I've found is quite simplistic.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

LaMedicine

One Too Many

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm going to be posting some of my better models I've done recently. All of these ones are from other people's diagrams.

The first set are all out of one sheet of paper, uncut, no glue, unless otherwise noted.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, Robert Lang. 10" square.

Rosy Finch (opus 408), Robert Lang. 6" foil-backed square.

Robert Lang is perhaps the most influential folders of our time, and certainly one of the most accomplished.

Present box, Jeremy Shafer. Tape was used to secure the closure at the back of the box. Other than that, I folded this model without scissors or glue. 10" square.

This next model, Mooser's Train, is perhaps one of the most difficult I have ever attempted. It is folded from one rectangle, slightly smaller than a 2:1. It is folded using the box-pleating method, and has no diagrams. Instead, it's instructions are documented in what is called a crease pattern; which is essentially the finished model completely unfolded and laid flat, with lines drawn over creases. This is different than most models, which are diagrammed step-by-step. My third attempt at it is still very poor, but you can get the gist of the model. Uncut, except to free a portion of paper for the smokestack.

Featured in Robert Lang's book, Origami Design Secrets.

Full Album

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The next set of my models (also from diagrams), all 'modular', using more than one sheet of paper. They are assembled without tape or glue. The individual sheets are uncut squares or rectangles.

Hexagonal box, Tomoko Fuse. 6 sheets of 6" squares.

The Impossible Rectangles. 6 one dollar bills.

Hamburgers. Larger: 5 10" squares, 4 5" squares. Smaller: 5 5" squares, 2 2.5" squares.

Star, Tomoko Fuse. 30 7" squares.

And my personal favorite, a star made of 5 independently folded triangular pyramids, all 'woven' together into a cohesive form. Each pyramid uses 6 rectangles. 30 rectangles.

Full Album

In regards to the last two posts, I claim no credit in the designing of any of them. But they are all models I have made. Any models without an author are as such simply because I forgot who made them.

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

So, I've shown you the models of others that I have folded my own interpretations of. Now, I'm going to display some models that I have designed, folded, and perfected myself (again, by purist rules). My favorite creation of my two best models is a fedora that I designed in three hours yesterday. It started as a box-pleated base, and I finished it off the design with a ribbon made from a separate sheet of paper.

Fedora, fluteplayer07. Hat: One uncut 8.5"x11" sheet of copy paper. Ribbon 1: One uncut 4:1 rectangle. Ribbon 2: Two uncut 4:1 rectangles.

'Creased' with a center dent, shown with ribbon 1.

Open Crown

Ribbon 2

"Liner" shot

Album

Sorry for the picture overload, but I'm very happy with how this model turned out.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran