Original Irvin main zipper.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Lord Flashheart, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart A-List Customer

Hi Folks,

I've just taken possession of my original 1942 Irvin which I posted in the main Irvin thread. Im very happy with the jacket but I've noticed that often when I go to close the jacket that the slider does not draw the teeth into each other. I read on a previous thread that as the teeth appear to be in good order, this might be as simple as a replacement Puller. There is a guy on Ebay selling dead stock Lightning pullers, would anyone know what size would be appropriate for my Irvin?

Regards

Garry

2. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

You will need a size 8 slider. The Lightning ones are being sold by Stephen Silburn from Sefton Clothing. The Lightning slider would be ideal for an Irvin sleeve zip, but may require some filing to allow the male insertion tab to fit through it.

3. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart A-List Customer

Thanks for the response Andrew. Where would I find a size 8 if I don't want to try and fit a 5? Is there a few out there or are they pretty thin on the ground?

Garry

4. aswatland

These Lightning sliders look like size 8s. The size is the width of the zip track and Wartime Irvins used size 8 zips. It would be best to message Steve and check they are size 8s to fit an Irvin zip.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I wonder if your slider channel has widened over the years and no longer properly meshes the teeth? If you are handy you might take your needle nose pliers and gently squeeze the top and bottom of the slider together to see if that will cause the teeth to mesh more consistently.

triple-d likes this.
  6. aswatland

The slider is a cast Dot replacement one on a Lightning zip. Squeezing the slider will simply break it. These cast double trunnion zips are notorious for breaking.