Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Interesting. This one showed up a few yrs ago also with HA.

IMG_9350.JPG

IMG_9351.JPG

wsmontana

A-List Customer
TBD on whether I can make this into a win or not.

My niece sent me this photo and asked if I could find her a hat like it:

6C87F201-0725-4C50-B25D-34B17D92222A.png

I found this hat (seller’s photo):

CA2ECE22-DB10-461B-B0C8-AF2D3642B05A.png

I opened up the crown and did a first pass at cleaning and shaping. It has a nasty ring where a previous owner tried to porkpie the hat.

E05CA433-0F25-41A2-87C0-877766EE0AB7.jpeg
288CBF40-78B7-4711-9A44-A9C163084D4E.jpeg

It is a cool no. 1 quality vintage hat. I’m hoping I can tackle that ring and make it a bit more presentable.

Bill

TBD on whether I can make this into a win or not.

My niece sent me this photo and asked if I could find her a hat like it:

View attachment 424272

I found this hat (seller’s photo):

View attachment 424273

I opened up the crown and did a first pass at cleaning and shaping. It has a nasty ring where a previous owner tried to porkpie the hat.

View attachment 424276 View attachment 424277

It is a cool no. 1 quality vintage hat. I’m hoping I can tackle that ring and make it a bit more presentable.

Bill

Very nice, Bill. I’d bet the hat the model is wearing is a cheaply made, but expensive, wool hat. Your No. 1 Quality is the better hat by leaps and bounds. Good luck the ring out…I’ve used steam, a hard insert (as a block) and the back side of a large stainless steel spoon on similar projects.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Very nice, Bill. I’d bet the hat the model is wearing is a cheaply made, but expensive, wool hat. Your No. 1 Quality is the better hat by leaps and bounds. Good luck the ring out…I’ve used steam, a hard insert (as a block) and the back side of a large stainless steel spoon on similar projects.
Thanks for the tip Brent — I really appreciate it!

The ring is not just a bump but it is shade or two lighter then the rest of the felt. The felt is pretty thin and fine so not sure sanding is the way to go. I might try a light felt foam cleaner as the next step. Any tips here?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

The ring is not just a bump but it is shade or two lighter then the rest of the felt. The felt is pretty thin and fine so not sure sanding is the way to go. I might try a light felt foam cleaner as the next step. Any tips here?
Careful...careful with the sandpaper. Easy to flatspot and ruin a hat even if you think you are careful especially in a stressed spot, even more so on a vintage crease line.
I’d save that for last. Might try a Magic Eraser first, etc.
B

There are several threads here on cleaning felt. Naphtha, either as a bath or more sparingly brushed on can be effective at removing oils. The problem is you’re going to need to clean the whole hat or you’ll end up with a ring of clean felt that will be just as obvious as a ring of dirty felt. I’ve had decent success using a diluted solution of Dawn dish soap and a soft bristled brush. There are lots of potential pitfalls so do your research before you take action…or send it off and have it professionally done. Good luck.

Something about that hat does not look right, not the least of which is Truman liked the 7XCB.......and liked to crease his own.....when you look at the hat Jack posted.....the differances are even more obvious.

And that box....the presidential seal seems new in comparison to the aging on the rest of the box......hmmmmmm

wsmontana

A-List Customer
^^^ditto with Dawn and a baby’s hair brush.
A hat sponge could work, too.

Thanks for the cleaning tips everyone! So far I’ve used packing tape to remove loose particles and then have steamed and brushed with a hat brush and sponge. The photo in my initial post are the results.

Next I’ll try Dawn with a soft brush or get some hat cleaning foam spray for light hats (I’ve had good results using a hat cleaner on dark hats).

A key take away here is to clean the hat as a whole and see if the ring goes away rather than focusing on the ring alone. I’ve also learned from reading the various cleaning threads here that the most prudent strategy is to tackle any cleaning project in reverse order of possible destruction (with sanding being a last resort). Thanks again for your help!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the cleaning tips everyone! So far I’ve used packing tape to remove loose particles and then have steamed and brushed with a hat brush and sponge. The photo in my initial post are the results.

Next I’ll try Dawn with a soft brush or get some hat cleaning foam spray for light hats (I’ve had good results using a hat cleaner on dark hats).

A key take away here is to clean the hat as a whole and see if the ring goes away rather than focusing on the ring alone. I’ve also learned from reading the various cleaning threads here that the most prudent strategy is to tackle any cleaning project in reverse order of possible destruction (with sanding being a last resort). Thanks again for your help!
Be sure and update us as you progress. Pics would be nice as you go.
We all are still learning and can learn from others good or bad.
Good luck. That’s a hat worthy of the effort and your daughter should be proud to wear it.
Bowen

Something about that hat does not look right, not the least of which is Truman liked the 7XCB.......and liked to crease his own.....when you look at the hat Jack posted.....the differances are even more obvious.

And that box....the presidential seal seems new in comparison to the aging on the rest of the box......hmmmmmm
No COA for either hat as far as I know.

When Truman left office in 1953 he & Bess returned to MO to live in their former home. I'm thinking it's possible that Stetson/Stevens might have given him a couple hats thru those yrs. if you look at the sweat stitching the dark sweat would appear to be the older of the two.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_9351.JPG

It's always possible the Truman Library sold hats as souvenirs much like the LBJ Library sells the OR today, but with a case?

Last edited:

In my experience those ghost creases can be a real challenge. It's not just the dirt, but those fibers that were crushed in the tight telescope crease are "broken" or damaged. Cleaning will help with the residual dirt and grease, but the only way to really get beyond the damaged fibers is to remove them with a sponge or sandpaper, so you get beyond what may be damaged to something workable below.

Too bad she's not a Robert Oppenheimer fan. That hat would make a great Oppy hat.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
In my experience those ghost creases can be a real challenge. It's not just the dirt, but those fibers that were crushed in the tight telescope crease are "broken" or damaged. Cleaning will help with the residual dirt and grease, but the only way to really get beyond the damaged fibers is to remove them with a sponge or sandpaper, so you get beyond what may be damaged to something workable below.

Too bad she's not a Robert Oppenheimer fan. That hat would make a great Oppy hat.

Thanks for your tip — I appreciate hearing from someone who has been down this path before.

Is this the Oppy hat?

A previous owner made an attempt to go in that direction but it was a poorly executed and the ring is 3.25” on one side and 2.75” on the other. Unless I go 2.75” all around I think it may be tough to hide that ring.

Anyway, I plan to clean the hat first and then decide how to proceed. I’m actually leaning towards a Naptha bath as it seems to be lower risk to the hat than water/soap based solutions. I don’t have a hat block for this size (or any size for that matter) so want to avoid needing to reblock.

Thanks for your tip — I appreciate hearing from someone who has been down this path before.

Is this the Oppy hat?

A previous owner made an attempt to go in that direction but it was a poorly executed and the ring is 3.25” on one side and 2.75” on the other. Unless I go 2.75” all around I think it may be tough to hide that ring.

Anyway, I plan to clean the hat first and then decide how to proceed. I’m actually leaning towards a Naptha bath as it seems to be lower risk to the hat than water/soap based solutions. I don’t have a hat block for this size (or any size for that matter) so want to avoid needing to reblock.
You have a tough nut there......I can almost 100 percent say the bath will not get it out......may even accentuate it more......you need a color/ filler powder (aka: pouncing powder/finishing powder) to work into the felt to even the color....especially after the bath.

Stetson still uses the stuff to even out the lighter colors.....especially on the light grey and light silverbelly hats.....(way too much on those light grey.....it gets all over everything...ESPECIALLY a dark wool suit or tux!:rolleyes:)

A hatters supply should have some.......I have kind of made up my own for certain applications.......

Is this the Oppy hat?

Yes. We've had a couple members recreate it.

On that Truman hat, that was not made "for" Truman himself. It was made for his presidential library. Stetson also made them for Reagan's, Nixon's and and LBJ's libraries. I have one from both the Reagan and LBJ stores.
That is what I assumed given the pressed crease, general dimensions (especially lower crown), no wind cord and the fact it is a 3X. Truman did like to give away some occasionally (mostly during his Presidency) as did LBJ but not to the same extent (LBJ gave away LOTS and LOTS).

However this particular hat was especially being marketed with the altered Stetson 100 case (again a 3X so would not come with a case) and every implication it indeed WAS a personal hat of Truman........:oops::rolleyes:

So I guess buyer beware fits well here....................................

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
That is what I assumed given the pressed crease, general dimensions (especially lower crown), no wind cord and the fact it is a 3X. Truman did like to give away some occasionally (mostly during his Presidency) as did LBJ but not to the same extent (LBJ gave away LOTS and LOTS).

However this particular hat was especially being marketed with the altered Stetson 100 case (again a 3X so would not come with a case) and every implication it indeed WAS a personal hat of Truman........:oops::rolleyes:

So I guess buyer beware fits well here....................................
Hmmm. Seems like some mixing and matching on that one. Maybe the hat was just added to the case later somehow? I'd need some really strong evidence that the 100 case belong to Truman, too. Seems like too many oddities on that. Not saying it is impossible, but it has some curious aspects, I think. But if the price is not sky high, could be worth taking anyway.

Hmmm. Seems like some mixing and matching on that one. Maybe the hat was just added to the case later somehow? I'd need some really strong evidence that the 100 case belong to Truman, too. Seems like too many oddities on that. Not saying it is impossible, but it has some curious aspects, I think. But if the price is not sky high, could be worth taking anyway.
Well according to Bob's Post

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...s-gripes-items-of-interest.54417/post-2918073

Someone paid $16,000 plus $4000 BP for it........I would want my money back.

I think I may need to get out my gold foil and stamping dies..........or start looking for 100 cases and head down to the Truman Library to buy another......
:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk