Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

carebear said:
We cold-blooded types live longer, we don't burn out so quick. And snow makes things green.

Take away the snow in the mountains and the California coastal strip would be a desert.

Maybe that's the secret. Bay Area climate (there are things resembling seasons there AND wine country) with a nearby mountain retreat, a la Tahoe or the Catskills.

How bout it Powers, the "Northern California" ticket sound good?

You don't live longer you just think you do----being stuck for days holed up due to snow can do that to you. :eek: Snow makes things white. :D
I dislike Tahoe and the Catskills but for those that like it they can have at it. A Northern California climate would be fine if we have the politics from your area. :D
Vote No on Snow. Ask Sonny Bono if he likes snow now. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You don't live longer you just think you do----being stuck for days holed up due to snow can do that to you. :eek: Snow makes things white. :D
I dislike Tahoe and the Catskills but for those that like it they can have at it. A Northern California climate would be fine if we have the politics from your area. :D
Vote No on Snow. Ask Sonny Bono if he likes snow now. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

He probably isn't too big on trees either.

I certainly hope we can have Alaska-style politics. Guns are good, pot is legal and the big problem is how to spend all the oil money.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, if I get to be elected Homecoming Queen (thanks, DancingSweetie, for the nomination!), my first edict would be SNOW NOT ALLOWED EXCEPT FOR THE PERIOD BEGINNING THE MONDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING AND ENDING THE WEEK AFTER NEW YEARS.

Oh, and I also decree that I don't have to shovel it. Our town will have plenty of strapping young men who go about with shovels over their shoulders knocking on doors and saying "Shovel yer walk for two bits, lady?" And because I'm nice, I'll give them a nickel extra.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Well, if I get to be elected Homecoming Queen (thanks, DancingSweetie, for the nomination!), my first edict would be SNOW NOT ALLOWED EXCEPT FOR THE PERIOD BEGINNING THE MONDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING AND ENDING THE WEEK AFTER NEW YEARS.

Oh, and I also decree that I don't have to shovel it. Our town will have plenty of strapping young men who go about with shovels over their shoulders knocking on doors and saying "Shovel yer walk for two bits, lady?" And because I'm nice, I'll give them a nickel extra.

If I take my shirt off while I shovel, can I get a dime. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carebear -- Heck, that rates an extra quarter! (We actually had a guy in our neighborhood who used to shovel snow in gym shorts and sneakers and nothing else. But I think they, you know, finally put him away someplace...)

Tony -- The pie's cooling on the windowsill!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:

That's how I would like it, and for the wimps it doesn't even have to be a lot of snow, just enough to make it pretty.
Or do we have to have 2 towns? One normal town with seasons and a second palm tree town where the weather stays the same all year long?

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Speaking of old towns, is anyone coming to revitalize my poor adopted city's economy? We need you [angel]. Anyhow the Quarter is still mighty old and we havent burnt down in some time :p.

Sofar this year has been hurricane free *knocks on wood* so come on down ^_-. Your hats will be warmly accepted...as we have the oldest hatter in the south ^_^

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
DancingSweetie said:
That's how I would like it, and for the wimps it doesn't even have to be a lot of snow, just enough to make it pretty.
Or do we have to have 2 towns? One normal town with seasons and a second palm tree town where the weather stays the same all year long?

Wait a minute I'm from NOLA and Miami... what makes our weather the "abnormal" one? Pff you "seasonies" think yer so much better with your fall and your winter. Well we only have to have one closet...HA! Ha ha! hahaha! *attempts psycho laugh and fails*

Anyhow I'm a firm believer you need two towns...Double the Pleasure...Double the Fun...ya know?

Wild Root

Gone Home
DancingSweetie said:
and for the wimps it doesn't even have to be a lot of snow, just enough to make it pretty.

Who you calling wimps? I'll have ya know I lived two years in Canada... had to endure -50 winters... frostbite would set in after 5 minuets to any uncovered skin... having to plug in a car with a block heater so the car wouldn't freeze up! Using ice scrapers on the windshield, warming up the car took forever! Also, the hazards of icy roads and black ice... I or the other "Anti Snow" members ain't Wimps, we're just smart!

I do agree some snow for the Holidays is nice but, I'm practical and realizing that we haven't any power over the weather.

For those who think CA and other warmer states don't have seasons... your wrong! It does snow in CA... in the Mountains where it belongs... the leaves on our trees do change color, it does cool down in December through April and it is cool enough to enjoy warmer vintage clothes.

=WR=

cneil

Familiar Face
Regulate the Weather.

Wild Root said:
HUH?!!??!!? Man, we need Palm Trees!!! Nice, tall slender ones! I mean, what are ya going to put in front of the IN-N-OUT? An Oak tree? AHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, we'll have an IN-N-OUT... they've been around since 1948 and they're too good to live without!;)

Oh, this is another thing that just makes me laugh... do we have control over the weather? Does any one have the power to grant snow to anyone? What are you guys, a pack of witch doctors? lol lol lol

Crazy people!

=WR=

There are Only two places where Weather is Regulated.

1.) Avolon under King Aurther ( Or atlest so would Rodgers and Hemerstine lead us to belive)

2.) Santa Barbara, Ca.
And it is a Very nawor defenition in Santa Barbara.
68 degress F is Frezing.
72 degress F is Sweltering Hot.
Can Not See Anacapa Island 40 miles off Show = FOG!, Really Bad , Dence Fog!
Wind blowing hard enogh to mess up your Hair ( 15mph) = A Hericane.

By Law, Rain must stop by 8AM each morning and the Costal Overcast must clear by Noon each day.

Very intresting Place.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I suppose I could deal with beautiful weather and fragrant tropical plants. A little Craftsman bungalow with something I've never been able to have, like bougainvillea, growing on it, would not go amiss.

"Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars."

Viola

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Who you calling wimps? I'll have ya know I lived two years in Canada... had to endure -50 winters... frostbite would set in after 5 minuets to any uncovered skin... having to plug in a car with a block heater so the car wouldn't freeze up! Using ice scrapers on the windshield, warming up the car took forever! Also, the hazards of icy roads and black ice... I or the other "Anti Snow" members ain't Wimps, we're just smart!

I do agree some snow for the Holidays is nice but, I'm practical and realizing that we haven't any power over the weather.

For those who think CA and other warmer states don't have seasons... your wrong! It does snow in CA... in the Mountains where it belongs... the leaves on our trees do change color, it does cool down in December through April and it is cool enough to enjoy warmer vintage clothes.

=WR=

Ok Mr. Root, I too live in California so I know all about our weather. If you drive just 30 minutes to the foothills from here it does snow, just a very little bit during the winter. No one is asking for -50 weather, just cold enough for a very little sprinkling of snow. It does not snow here in Sacramento, but I have visited johnnydnh in New England when it has been snowing and the roads are taken care of just fine, plus it is very pretty.
We need a snowy background at Christmastime for when folks go around caroling.

I guess it would be more interesting with 2 towns. We would have someone to play baseball against.

DancingSweetie said:

Wimps eh? :rolleyes: Looks like someone is going to be shoveling snow themselves since they like it so much. Which brings up Sacramento!? That is one of the hottest places in California. For someone who talks the talk there sure isn't any walk behind it. :p I suggest North Dakota for a nice snowy climate. :eusa_doh:
We can have two towns easily. There will be Willoughby with nice weather all the time and then there will be Potterville where it snows all year and is dreary day in and day out. :eek:
Vote No on Snow. You just know sun is better.

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Just wanted to clarify I'm not a wimp because I don't care for snow.;)

My first white Christmas was in Canada... it was special, I do agree snow at that time of year is pretty nice... but, not in the amounts and cold as it was there.

I have an old coal potbellied that I'd love to hook up and use for winters! Snow for a month is something I could live with if it's in the Hallmark style.lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo