Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Owners of Vintage Hercules, Californians, and other half-belts...Help Needed!

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
Hey guys!
I am in the process of trying to get a leather jacket manufacturer to produce a OTR half-belt vintage style jacket in the spirit of the old Sears Hercules or Californian style. This is a personal project for me and I stand to gain NOTHING financially from this. However, if this comes to fruition, fellow Loungers will have an option to buy a well made vintage style leather jacket for less than $500 in a variety of top grade hides.
One of the obstacles to this is obtaining some fairly detailed measurements from one of the above vintage style jackets. I am NOT trying to replicate any one style of jacket, rather nail down the details of the era so that we can get a half-belt that positively reeks vintageness (if that is a word...).
Again, I think it would be a benefit to the community to have a well made option in this price range (God knows I've been looking for this for a while!) Anyone who is willing to help, just shoot me a pm! Thanks!

D

Deleted member 16736

Your best bet is buying a trashed one in a style you like on eBay and taking apart the pattern and tracing the pieces. As for cost, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone to make these jackets in horsehide for under $500.

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
You are right about the top quality horsehide. I am mainly looking at goat, lamb, and cowhide. Horsehide is a possibility, but that will quite possibly be more. As to a trashed jacket, I am looking. Thanks!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Goat would be great and you're right, this kind of half-belt pricing is missing from the market. I've been looking too.

Maybe contact Fishmeok, he makes jackets at home.

The problem is patterns. It's fine to find a jacket in size 40, say, to copy, but you then need to know how to scale up and down through the sizes without losing proportion or the vintage look. Not easy.

Pattern making requires great skill.

Last edited:

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
I already have a producer. That's why I can confidently state a price (its likely to be less than that but I wanted to leave a little wiggle room). If I get some measurements from some set sizes he should be able to handle the proportions no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass