Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Palm Beach Neckties

LuckyKat

Practically Family
LABELS!!! (my favorites are the ones with the store, city & state on the label):

So this one is NOS with a blue paper tag (different than all the rest I own), plus it has the store tag, and the PB label is BLUE, but it doesn't have the (R) in the middle, so I believe this one to be a late 40s/early 50s label as they were changing hands & the tags went from gold/green to gold/blue, to just blue.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

City is 20 min away from me:
ry%3D400

Less common to see printed label rather than stitched:
ry%3D400

Uncommon to see a 2nd label besides the PB label:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Cool, because it has the store logo, not just text saying the store's name:
ry%3D400

Last edited:

LuckyKat

Practically Family
There's a possibility that I might be talked out of one or 2 NOS ties, but they would be $60 each and I wont sell any out of the 2nd picture of the NOS ties, or any from picture 4 and 5...if you're still interested, send me a PM, & if thats too much, then no worries...I'll keep 'em! ;-)

LuckyKat, will you be putting any of the new old stock ties up for sale ? ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I retract my previous statement about 2-tone labels...I found a few in my collection...

On another note...I snapped pictures of my collection of PB ties (minus the handful of PB bow ties)

ry%3D400

I suspect I'm not alone in saying I felt a little bit jealous when I saw this photo!

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Thanks guys...I've been collecting for quite some time & PB ties are just one of those things I went crazy on...well, I got up to like 85 suits & then started to sell some because I wasn't wearing enough of them, but I still have lots.
Anyways, on a recent trip to the mid west (I'm from So. Cal), I found the EARLIEST PB label I've ever seen...& according to Spencer of Vintage Haberdashers, I believe this to be late teens...its white on white (I've never seen that either):
photo.php

***(I just sold the suit to Max Soloman on the FL, last week)

...I have a late teens/early 20s PB suit with a white on white label that I had never seen before...apparently I dont have the label, but here's the suit:
View attachment 1423

Here's a small guide from Spencer of Vintage Haberdashers...very general but a good idea lf labels:
palmbeach.jpg

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
1940s composition: 53% mohair, 47% cotton

Early '50s composition, from your tag: 50% Rayon, 32% mohair, 13% cotton, 5% nylon.
I've seen another from that era marked 50% Rayon, 32% Mohair, 12% Cotton, 6% Nylon.

It looks like by the '50s "Wash and Wear" Palm Beach ties by Beau Brummel had been re-formulated again to be:
55% dacron polyester, 40% Rayon, and 5% Polyester. I'm seeing ads for those in the late 1950s. Oddly, the tags still say "woven only by Goodall Sanford", despite the name "Palm Beach" and the Goodall Sanford mills splitting ways around 1955. It was sort of a gradual split, '54-'56. In the early '50s, some of the fabric production had moved from Maine to Ohio. I wonder if that included the fabric used in their neckties?

By the '60s, Beau Brummell Palm Beach ties were 60% polyester, 40% rayon

Lots of changes in the fabric. Does anyone know of any other percentage variations?

I have some deadstock ones that had still another formula. It's 53% wool, 42% cotton and 5% rayon. The paper label reads Copyright 1948.

DamianM

Vendor
I saw one yesterday at some small vintage store in echo park. But I did love the tie but I have a rule not to pay insane money for a tie.
they where asking 32 dollars a tie and it had some slight damage.

It was palm beach mint green with 1930s black fleck nubs like those below. really nice.

documentname1103.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, it's not. I'll scan everything I have in when the new one arrives that I bought a few days ago.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
If interested, I'd sell a couple of NOS PB ties for $60 shipped (as a Paypal gift), or a few non-NOS PB ties for $45 shipped (as a Paypal gift). PM for details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider