Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Brim TOO Wide - Cut, Swap, Do-it-Yourself?

ProfessorShak

New in Town
After looking for a panama and being directed to Panamabob, I received my hat Diamante style. The hat itself is great, just what I was looking for, Crown, Color, Ribbon, fit and feel. The BIG problem, which was improperly mentioned was that the brim is TOO wide, at least 3". When I bought the hat off eBay I was a expecting a 2 1/2" because thats what I read. I got an email telling me that it never said 2 1/2" but AT LEAST 2 1/2"[huh]

SO I'm here with an oversized panama brim and don't know what to do. I spoke with panamabiz and the lady said I can swap it, of course at my shipping cost, which I am not sure would guarentee a better brim.

OR I could head over to Worth & Worth next to my job and have them modify the brim (cut it and then bind it with a material) of course this would cost a rediculous $35.

OR, just a thought that someone mentioned here, I could carefully cut it and duct tape the edge with a matching color.

OR just leave the thing with that enourmous brim.

While I am satisfied with the product itself, I can't say the same about the service. But for the price of the hat I guess I can't ask for much, but still more accurate advertising would've been helpful.

So what to do?

UPDATE

Some WebCam photos for you guys to see what I mean.

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

I'd say, leave it alone at least for a while. Panama's are warm weather hats and you can expect to wear them in the day and in the sun, so when the summer comes you just might find you like the protection of the wider brim.

I don't think you should try to trim it, if you swap it, ask them to kindly check the brim width on what they send.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
It looks great on you. :eusa_clap You'll get used to it. It's a hot weather and blazing sun kinda lid. You need the coverage!

animator

One of the Regulars
I agree with Even-Steven, it looks great to me. I'd give it a few days... I think you'll love it.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with the crowd. A classic panama hat look.
I think you'll come to appreciate the shade and you'll get
used to the look.

MAB1

Suspended
You could try it with a bit of more brim curl on the sides and back. Just wet it and shape it as it dries. A hair dryer helps to speed up the process.

But... I agree with everybody else. It looks great the way it is.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I am at a loss, the hat looks fine, the proportions fit you. I have seen these hats time and time again, and it is listed as “AT LEAST 2 1/2". What kind of service do you expect? The offer is there to swap, I would call that very helpful. Your paying the shipping for your mistake is hardly out of the question.

carldelo

One Too Many
I too am a low-crown, medium brim kind of guy - I prefer brims from 2-1/4 to 2-1/2. But my hot weather hat has a 3" brim and I've gotten used to it. I toyed with returning it, but received so many compliments when I wore it that I decided that the problem was in my brain, and not with the hat. At least 2 people bought the same hat because they liked the way it looked on me, go figure.

The crown on your hat looks good, and to my eye the brim is not too wide. I'd say you should try living with it for 1 month. After that, if you still can't deal with it, let Worth & Worth do the trimming. Spending $35 to get the hat you want is better than a hat in the closet forever, annoying you every time you look at it.

Cheers, Carl

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's what that hat is supposed to look like. Don't cut the brim, open your mind. :)

Seriously, wear it awhile, get used to it. it's like anything new, you might have to adjust your perceptions, especially when you were mentally picturing something different. It DOES look really great on you. It's a great hat you won't see everywhere you go on other guys, and that wide brim is there because they are made in a tropical climate for sun protection. Wide brim = good protection.

It looks great. Please don't cut it.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It is a bit wide for my taste, but it does look good on you that way. Furthermore, the aforementioned practicality makes a big difference. If you do feel compelled to cut it, I would have it done professionally. I don't have a problem with modifying brand new items if I trust myself to do it right, but somehow binding the edge with duct tape just doesn't sound like a method anyone would stay satisfied with for long. $35 is a small price to pay to get the hat you really wanted. Just out of curiousity, would you go with a contrasting edge ribbon, or something that blends in?

-Dave

Razzman

One Too Many
I have to agree with many of the other posts. The hat really looks good on you. I would leave it alone, or at the very least wear it a while and get used to it.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Let it ride

That Panama fits your face really well, give it a few days before you do anything. I bet it grows on ya.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
While I am satisfied with the product itself, I can't say the same about the service. But for the price of the hat I guess I can't ask for much, but still more accurate advertising would've been helpful.

[huh] At least 2.5 inches is what I said and the hat is at least 2.5 inches. I said I would pay the return shipping on a hat with as close to 2.5 inches. ?????:eek: \

This is why I dislike selling hats anymore.

MAB1

Suspended
Panamabob said:
[huh] At least 2.5 inches is what I said and the hat is at least 2.5 inches. I said I would pay the return shipping on a hat with as close to 2.5 inches. ?????:eek: \

This is why I dislike selling hats anymore.

Don't worry about it Bob. That's one great lookin lid that doesn't deserve the bashing it's gettin.

I wish the one I got from you looked that good. ;)

ProfessorShak

New in Town
PanamaBob,

Like I said, the hat fits perfectly, the quality is insurpassable at that price, the color, crown, ribbon, everything is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't expecting the brim to be THAT wide. I've bought hats from US to Russia over the years, this however is my second Panama. I am not used to having such ambiguous measurments. Think about a pair of jeans, how would you like it if Levi's advertised each pair online as AT LEAST a certain size? YOU DEFININTLY wouldn't buy it unless you were able to try it on or given a precise number.
I am happy with the product and thanks to the guys here I figured out how to best put this hat to use. I modified the brim shape a bit and It's now become my formal summer hat.
I took a good 30 min. trying it on with a variety of outfits and found that this is a GREAT hat for more formal occasions.
After looking online for other hats, I decided to keep the brown panama for casual (Tshirt Jeans) wear.
I guess I was looking for a "one hat, er panama, to rule them all" kind of thing and I was raising my expectations too high.

After reshaping the brim I am quite satisfied with it and has become my 4th hat, 2 felt 2 panama split for casual and formal wear.

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

P.S. Thanks for offering to swap the hat PB, I just hope you can understand my earlier frustration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart