Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Penney's Marathon Straw

Picked up this Penney's Marathon Straw off of the bay. It was kind of beat up on the outside and had a few marks that I could not clean off and I wanted to return it cause they did not explain the true condition, but the sweatband still looked good, so I kept it. But since it was very inexpensive I decided to buy some Acrylic paint and repainted the whole hat except for the inside. I don't know if anyone has tried this or will want to try this but I think it came out pretty good, and when I flip the brim up or down it does not crack or chip.
Any thoughts?

DSC03528.jpg

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03531.jpg

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

DSC03535.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

DSC03537.jpg

DSC03539.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Johnny J. Nice grab at the bay ... Your hat looks great!!! However, I don't know that the acrylic will continue not to crack as it further hardens over time?!? Check back in a month or so and let us know. For removing spots on straws nothing works beter then perioxide!

Kk

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J. Nice grab at the bay ... Your hat looks great!!! However, I don't know that the acrylic will continue not to crack as it further hardens over time?!? Check back in a month or so and let us know. For removing spots on straws nothing works beter then perioxide!

Kk

Thanks alot for that info Kk! I will try to wear regularly to see how it holds up and will post the results later.

Optimo style Montecristi

I now have four Montecristi hats in the optimo style... each unique with a distinct personality. This one arrived today from one of my favorite hat purveyors. Originally sold through Brodt's Hat Factory in Washington, DC - my guess is 1950's vintage.

eric_optimo4.jpg

eric_optimo5.jpg

eric_optimo2.jpg

eric_optimo3.jpg

the weave count in the four hats ranges from under 400 to over 700. This one is in the middle of the pack in terms of fineness, but the weaving is careful and even...

eric_optimo6.jpg

...compared to my Hand the Hatter panama, which is less so, though finer.

hand_optimo_weave.jpg

Nicely shaped and it fits.

eric_optimo1.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
My heavens, that is a mighty fine Montecristi, Alan! I really like your Hand The Hatter Monte, but for me, the smoothness and evenness of this lid trumps weave count. It looks smashing on you, just perfect. Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you AL. I'm not sure optimo it is the most flattering blocking, but there is something about the classic vintage look that calls out to me.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a fine Montecristi yet my concern with them has always been how much air flow there is. This summer for the past month it has stayed at a 100 degrees with high humidity the tight weave is nice and all but it would get mighty hot on the old noggin. Alan and Al live up north don't know if the humidity and the heat would let me wear a fine weave Montecristi.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

WOW! That style looks great on you, Alan. Not everyone can pull off the Optimo crown look, but you do it perfectly. That Panama is just fantastic and the weave is beautifully even. I have to get my hands on one of these vintage Panamas. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Ultrafino Panama

I purchased this hat off of ebay about a week ago and I just picked up the package yesterday. Its my first "real" panama. The tag in the hat said it was woven in Monticristi and blocked in the USA. I really disliked the block that the hatter had put into the hat, so I blocked out the original crease last night and re-creased it by hand. I found it was much more time consuming than felt, but used plenty of steam and patience to get a straighter crown shape. The original block was pretty tapered and the crown itself isn't as tall as I usually like, but I think it still looks nice. I usually like a center dent with front pinches, but the crown kept asking for a c-crown shape, so that's what I ended up with. I was able to raise the front pinch, straighten out the crown, and give it a nicer profile than before. I also re-flanged the brim by hand just to give it a much needed and nicer "curl". The weave count is much higher and finer on the tip of the crown and then as the weave goes down the crown the weave count goes down. Its EXTREMELY light and comfortable to wear. Not bad for $40 bucks.

Heres the original action link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230646919799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Panama9.jpg

Panama10.jpg

Panama11.jpg

Panama12.jpg

Panama15.jpg

Panama2.jpg

Panama1.jpg

Panama4.jpg

Panama6.jpg

Panama8.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
You got your monies worth, but that is unlike an montecristi that I've ever seen.

I would have to agree with carouselvic, It looks more like an extra fino Llano weave Cuenca Panama for a couple of reasons, 1) it is whiter than any of the 6 Montecristi's I have which is indicative of the hats produced in Cuenca, and 2) the "Montecristi, UltraFino" imprint on the sweatband has a trademark symbol after it leading me to feel it refers to the firms name that sold it. Try giving that phone number on the sweat and see if they are still in business ! Either way, it is a VERY nice panama :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I would have to agree with carouselvic, It looks more like an extra fino Llano weave Cuenca Panama for a couple of reasons, 1) it is whiter than any of the 6 Montecristi's I have which is indicative of the hats produced in Cuenca, and 2) the "Montecristi, UltraFino" imprint on the sweatband has a trademark symbol after it leading me to feel it refers to the firms name that sold it. Try giving that phone number on the sweat and see if they are still in business ! Either way, it is a VERY nice panama :)

I see Cuenca brisa. Nice

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
You got your monies worth, but that is unlike any montecristi that I've ever seen.

I see Cuenca brisa. Nice

Thanks for the information guys. I know very little about Panamas. There are so many different weaves, grades, regions, etc. I did learn however, that WPI isnt always an indication of quality.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I see Cuenca brisa. Nice

After re-looking at your pics I would have to agree with carouselvic, it looks to be a Brisa weave Cuenca. The Llano weave is very similar to the Montecristi's and has more of a herringbone appearance to it and most are smaller and tighter than yours shows to be. Either way don't feel bad as it is a VERY nice Panama and you have done a nice job on re-creasing of it :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
After re-looking at your pics I would have to agree with carouselvic, it looks to be a Brisa weave Cuenca. The Llano weave is very similar to the Montecristi's and has more of a herringbone appearance to it and most are smaller and tighter than yours shows to be. Either way don't feel bad as it is a VERY nice Panama and you have done a nice job on re-creasing of it :)

Thank you very much Monbla! I thought Brisa & Cuenca weaves are totally different. I did a little research online just now and it says that more straw is used in a Cuenca weave and less in Brisa. Also all the pictures of the Brisa weaves are far less tight than my hat. When comparing my hat to most pictures I have seen online, it looks more like the Cuenca pictures. When looking at the hat under normal light, there are no weave holes which Brisa weaves have many of. The only time I can see weave holes is when the hat is held up to the light and they are very tiny. I dunno.
I believe that this is the website for the company that sold the hat originally.
http://www.ultrafinopanamahat.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=92278

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart