Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Brisa is the TYPE of weave, Cuenca is the name of the city in Ecuador where some Panama's are woven. The hats made in Cuenca can be of two different weaves, either a Brisa weave, which are graded as well or Llano which are graded also and usually in the upper end hats made in Cuenca. A noticeable characteristic of the hats from Cuenca is the white color they have as opposed to the more natural tannish color of those woven in Montecristi ( and now in Pile just outside Montecristi) due to the bleaching done to them. Most Montecristi's are smoked in sulphor as part of their finishing and a new one will have just a slighte odor of it on them. Both of these cities have traditionally produced most of the authentic Panama's for centurys. Panama Bob's website has a good short history and video of the history and current status of the Panama hat.

Reactions: DRB

T Rick

Practically Family
To further muddy the waters, not all Cuenca'a have the telltale "white" color either. I have two Brisa Cuenca's from PB in "natural", along with one (bleached) white Llano Cuenca.

But I also thought Brisa Cuenca when I saw this new one. Very nice I might add!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Brisa is the TYPE of weave, Cuenca is the name of the city in Ecuador where some Panama's are woven. The hats made in Cuenca can be of two different weaves, either a Brisa weave, which are graded as well or Llano which are graded also and usually in the upper end hats made in Cuenca. A noticeable characteristic of the hats from Cuenca is the white color they have as opposed to the more natural tannish color of those woven in Montecristi ( and now in Pile just outside Montecristi) due to the bleaching done to them. Most Montecristi's are smoked in sulphor as part of their finishing and a new one will have just a slighte odor of it on them. Both of these cities have traditionally produced most of the authentic Panama's for centurys. Panama Bob's website has a good short history and video of the history and current status of the Panama hat.

Ah, its all making more sense to me now. Thanks! I did visit Bob's website and read a little more about the weaves.

Oh also, the photos make the hat look pretty white. Its actually a light natural color.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
To further muddy the waters, not all Cuenca'a have the telltale "white" color either. I have two Brisa Cuenca's from PB in "natural", along with one (bleached) white Llano Cuenca.

But I also thought Brisa Cuenca when I saw this new one. Very nice I might add!

Thanks, T Rick! I love this hat. I knew right away it wasn't the tightest weave or the best quality, but I figured for $40 bucks it would be a great hat to wear around this summer. I had no worries about re-blocking this one myself, but I can tell ya that if I bought a $1000 Monticristi, it would never get a whole lot of head time. It would probably spend most of the time in a glass case. I would like to get a vintage 30's Monticristi. I really wish someone sold a 6 inch open straight sided crown panama hat. It would be great for those 30's style creases.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
this one is 5+"

I really wish someone sold a 6 inch open straight sided crown panama hat. It would be great for those 30's style creases.

011run.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, T Rick! I love this hat. I knew right away it wasn't the tightest weave or the best quality, but I figured for $40 bucks it would be a great hat to wear around this summer. I had no worries about re-blocking this one myself, but I can tell ya that if I bought a $1000 Monticristi, it would never get a whole lot of head time. It would probably spend most of the time in a glass case. I would like to get a vintage 30's Monticristi. I really wish someone sold a 6 inch open straight sided crown panama hat. It would be great for those 30's style creases.

Contact Panama Bob as he deals with and DIRECTLY imports ALL his hats from Ecuador. He gan get you just about ANYTHING you could want in an unfinished Panama which you could send to ANY one you wanted to get the 30's style of hat you speak of. Remember, the traditional Panama hat creases you find available today are pretty much what were available back then. Panamas were not creased quite the same as the felts of that time. In fact, if you wanted a true 1030's style of Panama, you would best to get a traditional Optimo creased Panama to truly capture the style of that era. :)

dnjan

One Too Many
I was hoping for a picture or two from a different angle - more from above.
I'm trying to picture a hat with no side pinches and a top-of-crown block that is less directional.

Last edited:
A Stetson Leghorn?

No markings on this hat other than the sweatband imprint and the size label. Is it Leghorn straw?... not sure, but I think so. Finely woven and very light. Where has it been all these years? The gold printed size tag would suggest late 1930's early 1940's. The yellow pug is kept from drifting by small strips of what appears to be sandpaper on the outside of the hat. Original? Perhaps the yellow ribbon accounts for the very fine condition. Not the easiest color to coordinate. I love it.

legstets2.jpg

legstets4.jpg

legstets7.jpg

legstets3.jpg

legstets8.jpg

legstets5.jpg

legstets6.jpg

legstets9.jpg

Thank you Steve. The weave has a very nice look to it. Amazingly it still smells like straw.

Thanks Lefty. I would love to find an ad with a reference to this hat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I would love to find an ad with a reference to this hat.

I'm sure someone will turn up the right ad for your hat. Meanwhile, though not as old as yours, here's something that appears to be rather similar. Found in another FL thread.

DSC01471.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

Thank you Zetwal. Yes, I think mine is pre-United Nations. Great ad.

I will revive one of the leghorn threads... would be nice to see others in a dedicated thread.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
No longer the Panama canal thread, huh? when did that happen? (not that it really matters, guess it's easier to find now.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart