Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

jthix

New in Town
I'm very new to hat wearing and am looking for my first panama. I have purchased an Akubra Squatter from David Morgan and was very pleased with the hat and the quickness in delivery. So I am very interested in the Panama Fedora that David Morgan offers. Does anyone own and is it a good hat?

I am also looking at panadorhats.com, anyone own a panama from them? And are Panama Bob's lower grade cuenca hats worth getting for their low price?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PB is tops

I'm very new to hat wearing and am looking for my first panama. I have purchased an Akubra Squatter from David Morgan and was very pleased with the hat and the quickness in delivery. So I am very interested in the Panama Fedora that David Morgan offers. Does anyone own and is it a good hat?

I am also looking at panadorhats.com, anyone own a panama from them? And are Panama Bob's lower grade cuenca hats worth getting for their low price?

Panama Bob will always give you the best deal. His rep is impeccable. I have never handled his fine Montis, but if his cheap brisas are any indication, they must be mighty fine.

DM & Pandor, I am sure are fine. but PB is closer to the ground, hence- no middleman markup. And he has ALWAYS been muy rápido with shipping. Indiana is very central.

My .o2

PS- PANAMA BOB COME BACK- WE MISS YA'!

Old Buzzard

New in Town

I own hats from Panama Bob and Panadorhats, the quality is good from both sellers. The problem with Panadorhats is no communication and they left no feedback on EBay purchase. Panama Bob will continue to get my business.

jthix

New in Town
Okay, it seems like Panama Bob is the most popular and I am very attracted to his low prices. What is the preferred weave for a Cuenca, Brisa or Llano?

And for someone who will be wearing the hat more for utilitarian purposes (like while cutting the grass and hiking in our hot Alabama summers) than for show, how do the cheap grades look? Does anyone own and possibly have a picture of like a Grade 2 to 8 Llano or Grade 1 to 6/7 Brisa?

And if I get a cheaper hat, what is the sweatband made out of?

And thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

Quite right

Okay, it seems like Panama Bob is the most popular and I am very attracted to his low prices. What is the preferred weave for a Cuenca, Brisa or Llano?

And for someone who will be wearing the hat more for utilitarian purposes (like while cutting the grass and hiking in our hot Alabama summers) than for show, how do the cheap grades look? Does anyone own and possibly have a picture of like a Grade 2 to 8 Llano or Grade 1 to 6/7 Brisa?

And if I get a cheaper hat, what is the sweatband made out of?

And thanks for the help!

You may expect a cloth sweat on the cheaper models. But then I have a cloth sweat on some very expensive panamas too.

Look here- I dunno HOW you could go wrong.

Best... & have FUN- if you don't like it you can likely get your' $$$ back- here in the classifieds or on th'bay

jthix

New in Town
Okay, narrowing it down to PB's Cuenca Caballero Natural and request a 3" brim and I think I'd rather go with the brisa weave. It seems like the Llano is the "nicer" weave and Brisa is the "looser" weave. In general, it sounds like Brisa might be a little cooler and be more vented. I'll probably end up just getting the Grade 2 Brisa - my wallet will thank the inexpensive price.

Anyone have a Grade 2 Brisa weave - is it a good utilitarian Panama?

EDIT: Went ahead and pulled the triger on it a couple days ago- hoping it'll be here tomorrow!

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

Forgive my ignorance

18monti.jpg

...is this really a MONTECRISTO, or no?

I cannot differentiate the weaves. [huh]

What say you? :noidea:

Thanks!

poetman

A-List Customer
I have a question. I have the chance to buy a genuine "made in Ecuador" panama hat that is not a Montecristo, but is a natural straw color and really sharp looking hat for a great price, but still a bit of dough. Or, I can buy a panama not made in Ecuador and not an authentic Montecristo, but the
weave is finer and appears more like a Montecristo? This one is also almost half the price of the genuine Ecuador hat. What do you all think the better option is?

Thanks!

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Poetman, I'd take a look at Panamabob's site. Look at what is available there, then make a decision based on what you like personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael