Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Wearing the Maser today.

PicsArt_1374280006921.jpg

new2hats

A-List Customer
Does anyone know of or has ordered from Barrancos hats? They are having a sale and seem to be pretty good. Their 40 weaves per inch is 300 bucks though, and that seems pretty low for such a high weave Cuenca?

new2hats

A-List Customer
" Ive noticed some flies that like to land on my hats. Wonder why that is?"
QUOTE: new@hats.

Because they can?
LOL.

Regards,
J T

Didnt know if this had to do with the nature or treatment of the toquilla straw or what, but there have been instances of flies landing and staying on my panamas. Have never recalled seeing any on any fur or wool hats, thats why I ask!

AnalogReigns

New in Town
PALM OIL - Panama hat treatment...

My daily cover is about a 5 year old basic "fino" grade (280 wpi) classic, I got off ebay. It works well keeping the sun off my head, and looking sharp from 10+ feet away. Since we've had rain in Charlotte, NC ALL summer, I haven't worn it as much as I like--and I've always wondered about ways to make panama's more resistant to water. With the high humidity here in the South, cracking and drying have not been much of a problem...but I've been thinking about water-resistant treatment, and making the woven palm more permanently plyable...My solution has been organic palm oil.

I figure it has to be a vegetable oil very similar to what is natural for toquilla palm fronds, and this oil is unique in that it doesn't break down or spoil easily, is fully organic and safe for people (used in foods actually), so I got some on ebay. Rubbed it into the hat (has a similar texture to room-temperature margerine, actually) and I'm letting it sit in the sun to soak in. It's darkened the straw a little overnight, but still looks good, however the hat now has a bit of an oily shine to it. I'm giving it more time to soak in....before wiping it clean with a towel.

This isn't a valuable montecristi...so I'm not worried...but so far, so good. Maybe it will extend the life of this hat (which already has a split on the top--taped and elmer's-glued closed).

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
PALM OIL - Panama hat treatment...

My daily cover is about a 5 year old basic "fino" grade (280 wpi) classic, I got off ebay. It works well keeping the sun off my head, and looking sharp from 10+ feet away. Since we've had rain in Charlotte, NC ALL summer, I haven't worn it as much as I like--and I've always wondered about ways to make panama's more resistant to water. With the high humidity here in the South, cracking and drying have not been much of a problem...but I've been thinking about water-resistant treatment, and making the woven palm more permanently plyable...My solution has been organic palm oil.

I figure it has to be a vegetable oil very similar to what is natural for toquilla palm fronds, and this oil is unique in that it doesn't break down or spoil easily, is fully organic and safe for people (used in foods actually), so I got some on ebay. Rubbed it into the hat (has a similar texture to room-temperature margerine, actually) and I'm letting it sit in the sun to soak in. It's darkened the straw a little overnight, but still looks good, however the hat now has a bit of an oily shine to it. I'm giving it more time to soak in....before wiping it clean with a towel.

This isn't a valuable montecristi...so I'm not worried...but so far, so good. Maybe it willme extend the life of this hat (which already has a split on the top--taped and elmer's-glued closed).
Cool! Can u show some pix?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
LOL! Ive noticed some flies that like to land on my hats. Wonder why that is?
Many insects are attracted by yellow hues. Hence the yellow color of sticky fly ribbons - and yellow and blue/ultraviolet lamps are often used in pest control. If you dry yellow fabric by hanging it outdoor during summer, it'll often be filled with insects.

The yellowish color of the straw is probably more attracting to insects than the colors of most felt hats.

birdhunter

New in Town
I thought I should let everyone know who we are dealing with here at the lounge. While trying to find a new panama I contacted panama Bob. Wow what a great guy. He Never got upset with my way too many questions. When we couldn't come together on a model and price I wanted he reduced the price on a more expensive hat and sent it to non other than Art Fawcet to reblock it to my style. First class all the way. It's with mr. Fawcet now and as soon as I get I'll post a pic. Soo excited

Many insects are attracted by yellow hues. Hence the yellow color of sticky fly ribbons - and yellow and blue/ultraviolet lamps are often used in pest control. If you dry yellow fabric by hanging it outdoor during summer, it'll often be filled with insects.

The yellowish color of the straw is probably more attracting to insects than the colors of most felt hats.

Off topic, yes, but if yellow attracts, why then are "bug lights" yellow? I have always wondered if they have any effect! (Too much time in the woods for me this season)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
[...] if yellow attracts, why then are "bug lights" yellow?

I have never seen them in Denmark, and I can't find them in Danish webshops. I found them in US-shops, but I can't find scientific material on any repelling effect of yellow light. Incandescent bulbs has always attracted insects, and they radiate a very large amount of their energy in the yellow and orange parts of the visible spectrum. At the moment I would have to see a yellow bulb work to believe it works as claimed :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1960's Stetson Genuine Panama Western

I received this a couple weeks ago and just recently got around to shaping the brim and cleaning it up a bit. This is a really neat hat. Its a REAL Panama Stetson Western and NOT shantung. It has a 3 inch brim that has been understitched with a steel wire inside.

RangerWP

New in Town
Has anyone been in touch with Panama Bob lately? I've tried emails and phone but no response after a few weeks.I have a few Western hats, and have been reading the forum for a while but never posted. This thread inspired me to diversify my collection, and there's plenty of hot weather left in Texas to joy a good Pamana.

Jomodad

New in Town
8ypu9yqu.jpg

Panamas are awesome! That looks like some high end stuff there. I got this Ecuadorean hand woven panama hood and blocked and bashed it myself. I found another like it in a thrift store. I am hooked.

Are we having fun yet?

dnjan

One Too Many
Has anyone been in touch with Panama Bob lately? I've tried emails and phone but no response after a few weeks.I have a few Western hats, and have been reading the forum for a while but never posted. This thread inspired me to diversify my collection, and there's plenty of hot weather left in Texas to joy a good Pamana.
I had a response from him through Ebay messages on August 28. He sounded a bit frazzled ...

Parabuntal straw

Not from Panama or Ecuador... most likely China. I thought I would add this here as well.

Blocked and finished by Optimo... 4 1/2" crown, 2 3/8" rolled brim.

Weighs 1.9 ounces, just under half of which is sweatband and ribbon.

Everything I had hoped.

parabuntal7.jpg

parabuntal8.jpg

parabuntal9.jpg

parabuntal10.jpg

parabuntal11.jpg

parabuntal14.jpg

parabuntal12.jpg

parabuntal13.jpg

klmonline

New in Town
Has anyone been in touch with Panama Bob lately? I've tried emails and phone but no response after a few weeks.I have a few Western hats, and have been reading the forum for a while but never posted.

In response to this post and the recent one from birdhunter, I feel obligated to write that I had an unsatisfactory purchase experience with Panama Bob. He ended up giving me a full refund, but I had problems getting timely and factual communications over the eight month process (Dec 2012 - July 2013), and ultimately no hat.

I recognize the gravity and controversial nature of a rather non-specific post like this, and I have absolutely no desire to start a flame war or to drag his name through the mud. As I say, he returned my money and I am not out anything other than time. I do not want to fill up a full page of details about the chain of events. Obviously many members of this forum and others who have done business with him over the years have been very satisfied. I don't question that at all (it's why I chose him as a supplier for my hat!). But I guess if you do a large enough number of transactions over the years, there is always the possibility of one going belly up, and it happened to be mine.

If you are truly considering a custom made-to-order purchase and want the full detailed timeline in my case, I will be happy to email you privately. I do not want to turn this into a public bitch session, but maybe it's important to know about one negative experience to offset the many positive reviews available online - at least before committing to a large up front cash outlay.

If you wish to email me, you can use: kenmolay at gmail dot com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24