Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I like the waves. I hat will never be symmetrical and smooth once it gets some decent head action and aging anyway. BTW, I've found that dryness can kill a Panama a lot faster than humidity or soaking. Wet paja can be revived but if it gets too dry it just breaks.

This is why I recommend taking the hat into the bathroom every few months while you take a shower Craig, keeps feeding the straw, however, it can get to an excess and make the hat wave so I also urge caution.

You might enjoy this comparison of five straw hat weave variations posted here.

straws1.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Still looking for me a good classic tight-weave Panama, preferably something in the $50-60 range. Any suggestions?

You can get a Panama for $60. Whether or not it fits what you have in your head with regards to "tight weave" and having "good" quality is a whole other matter.

I would recommend Panama Bob/Panamas.biz for a lower cost hat.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do I have?

Got this sweetie from a California lady who told me her Ecuadorian Grandfather was an import/export guy who became a US citixen at 40, dying recently at 95 yo.
She says this body is at least 30 yo & probably a lot older as he was in business for more than four decades.

Who should I send this to for finishing (preferably East of the Mississippi)? Any suggestions?

Can I do it myself? With a hatshapers?

Last edited:

CRH

Call Me a Cab
This is why I recommend taking the hat into the bathroom every few months while you take a shower Craig, keeps feeding the straw, however, it can get to an excess and make the hat wave so I also urge caution.

It's the most dangerous room in the house, Man - well, next to the kitchen anyway.

johnnycanuck

Figures. Looked at the forecast yesterday and it was going to be sunny and hot for the next week. Broke out my panama hats. Hit them with a little steam to bring them back to life. Woke up this morning – pouring rain for the next two day. Dang it. I guess it will have to wait a little while longer. Lovely Canadian weather, not Montecristi weather :mad:.
Here is a question for everyone – Do you wait for good weather days to wear your panama hats or do you just start wearing them on the first day of summer?
Johnny

Wear 'em if you've got 'em, Johnny. Particularly if you live in a climate with limited opportunities to do so. Besides, the gangs who enforced Straw Hat Day rules are mostly long gone, or too old to enforce anything anymore...Especially the Alberta gangs.

johnnycanuck

Every source I read tells me not to wear these hats in the rain. Is this a silly guide. Can the hat handle a light shower? They are all Montecristi panama. Not cheap and I don’t want to ruin them.
Also is there any easy way to stiffen them up. They are a bit floppy right now. Maybe scotchguard?
Johnny

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Every source I read tells me not to wear these hats in the rain. Is this a silly guide. Can the hat handle a light shower? They are all Montecristi panama. Not cheap and I don’t want to ruin them.
Also is there any easy way to stiffen them up. They are a bit floppy right now. Maybe scotchguard?
Johnny
I have not done this but I have been told a wee bit of spray starch should work and yes the rain will ruin your panama's as I have read here on the lounge.....

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I got caught in a extended rain shower and had to send the panama back to Art Fawcett to be re-blocked. It didn't ruin the hat only the shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo