Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hat weaves

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I recently purchased a couple of vintage Panamas on Ebay that turned out to be Cuencas. Sharpetoys mentioned to me that they were probably Brisa. I had no idea what Brisa was, so I searched around the internet and found a good website devoted to Panama hats. Turns out Brisa is a type of weave, the cheaper kind unfortunately for me. So here is some good information on Panama hat weaves...

http://www.panamas.co.uk/info_grades.htm

From this website...

"Two styles of weave are common, Brisa and Llano although at first sight it can be hard to tell these apart. The brisa weave is characterised by a regular diamond pattern while the Llano weave has a herringbone weave. The Llano weave produces a finer result however, due to its more intricate design, takes longer to produce and thus results in more expensive hats."

Maybe Panama Bob and Sharpie can enlighten us even more!

Kaleponi Craig :cool:

android

One of the Regulars
My two Montecristis are llano weave and have back woven edges.
My Cuenca is brisa weave and has a sewn edge.

Do Cuencas ever have llano weave or back woven edges?
I've not seen any modern, mass produced Cuencas that do.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
All Cuenca hats in Ecuador, be they llano or brisa, have backwoven edges. If they don't, then the finisher saved a few bucks by buying the weave unfinished and folded and sewed them himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff