Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hats: need help shaping the brim

ckramer

New in Town
I recently bought a Panama hat to wear on a fishing trip. It's a subfino classic fedora style from Ecua Andino. I'm not a hat person at all (I've always felt I looked dumb in ball caps so I just assumed that meant all hats would look stupid) so I decided not to spend much. I only mention this because I have a feeling it has something to do with my question: how do you shape the brim (snapping it up or down)? I don't mind the standard fedora look (i.e. front and back snapped down a little and the sides up) but I have seen some online that have the back snapped up that are clearly fedora style, not trilby. My hat refuses to take that shape and I am just wondering if anyone can clue me in as to whether or not you can really affect the shape of the brim that much.

FIRST: Wash your hands! Dirty fingers are not good.

Get a spray bottle of water and a hair dryer (blower). Lightly dampen the brim only where your want to make your change, shape it, dry it. Or, alternatively, dampen, shape, place the hat in such a way that the brim stays how you like it, let it dry on its own. Be sure to go little by little. Especially if this is your first time at this...

THEN, most importantly, send pictures!! Good luck, CKRAMER!

Last edited:

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wonky beasts, these cheap Panamas.

HPIM3139.jpg

We are expected to deal with paja that has not been properly aged, much like growing up without a grandparent. Just be sure to dial 911 after you get caught in a thunderstorm under your Panama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner