Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man,
then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you.
Paris is a moveable feast.

Ernest Hemingway, 1950

I had my fling with Paris as a GI Bill expat; although it ended before long,
her memory tugs at my heart like a lost love.
Hemingway's observation holds for me, how about any of you?

Kimberly

Practically Family
I loved Paris. I am type A by nature and I find it hard to relax even in the Caribbean. In every photo taken of me in Paris I looked relaxed and content. Of course the wine and food had a lot to do with it.

When my kids get older I would like to do a two week trip there going to thrifts and hunting for French vintage!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I loved the time I spent in Paris, but Hemingway's (Ernest that is:)) words really should be changed to Venice for me.

Venice Italy is a place that I can feel when I close my eyes, remember dearly when I put certain pieces of music. I only spent 5 days there, and I made the most of each and every moment. I walked the entire islands. I had excursions to exterior islands, I drank Belini's at Harry's bar in the exact spot where Ernest Hemingway did, with my own Hemingway, Hemingway Jones. I took a Gondola ride with one of my best friends, I ate oysters on the Grand Canal, I bought Carnivale masks I fell in love with Venice, so much so that I couldn't control tears from streaming out of my eyes when I took my last sunset stroll through San Marco Square.
Venice had such an affect on me that I can feel it in my bones. I think I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't get to go back there again.

I'm in the process of planning my annual trip. I've looked into other places, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Argentina. Although the thought of exploring a new and exciting place is very appealing, Venice keeps pulling at my heart strings. I will go again to Italy this year, to Rome, Florence, Venice and then take the train to Vienna to see the towns where my family is from. I know, I should explore new places, and I am, I've never been to Vienna. But, I must go back to Venice, I feel a bit empty being away from it.

So I did enjoy the time I spent in Paris, but for me it's Italy. Rome and Venice have a hold on me that I can't describe.

OK sorry, I went off again!! But I'm in the process of planning my trip and I'm getting a little excited:D

Ahhhhh, Venice:)

Rafter

Suspended
Paris is a place as perfect as they come to meet your lifetime someone!!
The question is: where do you start?

I will start with an obvious spot: the sidewalk cafe.

In my list of fave areas, Place de la Contrescarpe
place-contrescarpe.jpg
ranks high.
It is located in the 5th district, atop the quaint Rue Mouffetard. There are a couple of sidewalk cafes to sit at there, and the view is great.

I would also recommend Place des Abbesses,
The_Place_du_Tertre.jpg
on the Montmartre Hill. Though the local cafes are usually packed, I just dig the place for its early-fall, after-school feel.

Lastly, I would not miss the cafe Flore en L'Isle
ISle.jpg
which sits at the end of the Pont St Louis (St Louis Bridge), at the western tip of the Saint Louis Island. They serve Berthillon ice creams and sorbets, and the view is great.

The best way to visit Paris is on foot and subway. Don't take cabs, traffic is awful. Use the subway to move from one spot to a distant other. Otherwise, just walk.

Certain places have very special romantic qualities that set them apart.

Atop my list, Place Furstemberg.
1plcefurst1.jpg
From the plaza of the St Germain Church, walk toward the Seine and Rue Bonaparte. Turn right into Rue de l'Abbaye. Follow the street to the first short alley on your left. Turn and you end up on Place Furstemberg. French painter Eugene Delacroix had his studio there, and this makes an interesting spot to visit during daytime. But Place Furstemberg takes a whole other atmosphere at night. It is quiet, isolated, and sort of private. The nearby abbey lends it a historical feel. Sitting under the trees, the wooden benches welcome eternal lovers.

The Montmartre Hill has a flavor of its own. This is a spot you can spend days discovering. Montmartre used to be a small village outside Paris walls, and was only integrated to Paris at the turn of the 19th century. Thanks to its dwellers and their sense of beauty and dignity, Montmartre has managed for a large part to keep its 'olden days' atmosphere. The personality of the hill expresses itself fully at night. Street lamps lend its streets a surreal feel, most notably at mid-hill level. Take one of the steep flights of stairs, and you are sent back in time.
Small_Montmartre_Painter.jpg

As a final destination the park located at the tip of Ile de la Cite.
This is the largest of the two islands, and the small park named Square du Vert Galant takes its name from King Henri the 4th, a womanizer in his own right ('Galant' alludes to his reputation as a smooth talker, and 'Vert' means the guy was 'always ready to fire').
Walk to the Pont Neuf bridge, go down the flight of stairs opening behind Henri's statue, and you will wind up on the wharf. There, lined with century-old trees, the park offers a magnificent view of the river Seine and the Louvre Museum.
neuf.jpg

I love Paris in the spring time
I love Paris in the fall
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles

I love Paris every moment
Every moment of the year
I love Paris,
why oh why do I love Paris
Because my love is there

Novella

Practically Family
I like Paris, I've only been once for two days so I'd really like to go back. It has a nice atmosphere, the food really is delicious, and I love the Musee d'Orsay. But the city that I pine for is Berlin. When I think of all the places I've visited, it is Berlin that calls for my return.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Not even a regrettable travel partner could have dampened Paris in the slightest for me.

It's cliche how brilliant that city is, but it's my very favorite cliche. Being there, you realize how truly valuable to the world Paris really is. No words anyone says, no stories, pictures, films, paintings or movies could ever prepare one for the delicacy, beauty, soul, and depth of that city. It's brilliant.

moustache

Practically Family
Paris is a mecca to all who love art,music and culture.And let's not forget food!
But most of all,it is the city that defines the 19th and early twentieth century.
The images it conjures when spoken,"Paris",are like no other on the face of the planet.History oozes out of almost every building,every bridge and square.Fragrant Parisians love their city for a reason.
And so do people from the all other countries!

I want to go back sometime soon.Being on the Pacific coast can be such a detriment sometimes.You east coast folks have such a better rate!

JD

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I am glad for those of you who like France. I have been to France twice. As a kid I visited Paris in the early 70's and La hauve (sp?) in the late ninties. I didn't enjoy either and have no desire to return. Perhaps one day it's charms will cast the spell on me......but don't count on it.

Like I said earlier, I am glad you have a fondness for Paris. Seeing the photos it reminds me of the Paris of the movies.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
I loved the time I spent in Paris, but Hemingway's (Ernest that is:)) words really should be changed to Venice for me.
Ahhhhh, Venice:)

:eek: I knew you were going to misbehave, Daisy, I just knew....;)

Rafter

Suspended
thebadmamajama said:
You'll never see me happier than when I am in Paris.
I want to see you happy, Madame Badmamajama.........

Je veux vous voir heureux, ainsi allons à Paris!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I lived in Paris from 1985 to 1989. The company I was with acquired an interest in a French concern and I was sent to represent our interests. I was initially a bit reluctant to sit watchdog over a century old family run business but as it turned out we all got along famously and remain freinds to this day. The family took me under their wing, introduced me around to their freinds and associates and insisted that I use their name around town. I've moved around a bit and this was just about the cushiest landing I've ever had.

As for living in Paris, what's not to love? Of course being thirty years old, single, with a company flat (7th) and expense account certainly added to the experience. :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
I am glad for those of you who like France. I have been to France twice. As a kid I visited Paris in the early 70's and La hauve (sp?) in the late ninties. I didn't enjoy either and have no desire to return. Perhaps one day it's charms will cast the spell on me......but don't count on it.

Like I said earlier, I am glad you have a fondness for Paris. Seeing the photos it reminds me of the Paris of the movies.

Anything you can put your finger on, MK..?
What turned you off..?

B
T

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Most things I really like, that's not from America, always seems to turn out being from Paris, or France: architecture, art, music...

And, likewise, any time I find a re-issue of a rare American jazz CD no longer available in the states, seems it's a French import.

Can't wait to get there & see if it's a real "match" soon as the schedule can be flexed to allow it.

- C H

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran