Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parka for midwestern winter?

Shake_and_Bake

New in Town
My son, who has lived in San Francisco all his life, will be leaving for college in northern Ohio next month. His birthday is coming up, and I thought I would get him a really good, warm parka for walking around campus, etc. Functionality is the key, although it would be nice if it looks good. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I own one of these:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/army-field-jacket.htm

They are available in a LOT of sizes and include a button out liner.

Be warned though, I live in Kansas and my kids don't wear coats in 15 degree F weather. It's not stylish I guess. If their car broke down, they went inside somewhere and called for help on their cell phone. You MAY want to wait a while and see what the other lemmings are wearing.

My son did wear the above coats on campouts in Scouts.

Speaking of stylish, I graduated from Illinois in 83 and the preps were wearing topsiders in 6 inches of snow, no socks.

Later

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I suggest an Alpha N2-B short-waist parka, or N3-B normal-length parka:

http://www.shopalphaindustries.com/Alpha/mens/flight-jackets.php?sidebarnav=1

For best prices and fast service, I also highly recommend buying from the Vermont Army-Navy store, as in the previous posting. (But their server is so slow just at the moment that I can't get to their Alpha pages.)

Alas, I also have to observe that the vast majority of young people today seem to take it as a point of honor to seriously underdress for winter weather. I bought my son a N3-B a few years ago... and even after two winters of college in upstate NY, he hasn't ever worn it! (Whereas I LIVED in my N3-B for the whole four years that I went to college upstate back in the 70s.)

Added: direct link - http://www.vtarmynavy.com/alpha-outerwear.htm

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Shake_and_Bake said:
My son, who has lived in San Francisco all his life, will be leaving for college in northern Ohio next month. His birthday is coming up, and I thought I would get him a really good, warm parka for walking around campus, etc. Functionality is the key, although it would be nice if it looks good. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Where's he going to school at in Ohio?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm at school in Halifax where cold, wet, windy winters are the norm. I find a good thick wool overcoat is about the most practical article of clothing you can own.

WWII marines coats can usually be picked up inexpensively and seem to be as thick as they come.

too much coffee

Practically Family
How about a Carhartt Arctic Jacket...........very warm and practical although not water repellent.

If you want the creme de la creme, go with the Filson Mackinaw or Double Mackinaw Cruiser.

Good luck with your search!

coffee out

Optionseeker

New in Town
too much coffee said:
How about a Carhartt Arctic Jacket...........very warm and practical although not water repellent.

If you want the creme de la creme, go with the Filson Mackinaw or Double Mackinaw Cruiser.

Good luck with your search!

coffee out

I have to second the Filson Mackinaw. I've had one for 13 years and it kept me warm in SW Ontario winters down to -25C. Still looks great and shows no signs of wear.

J

norton

One of the Regulars
If your son is like mine, no matter what you buy he won't like it.

The field jacket has the advantage of being relatively cheap but even with the liner its not all that warm. That said, if I remember correctly it seldom gets below 10F in Northern Ohio so it should be o.k.

My kids seem to wear any old nylon shell with a fleece liner, and like another poster said they seldom really dress for the weather. I would wait until he gets to Ohio, get his input, then send him the money for what he wants or have him pick it out online and buy it for him.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dinerman said:
I can't believe how many of those I see on campus, especially when you consider the price.
Well, they'll last a lifetime,so if you prorate the cost........:rolleyes:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've looked at them and agree- very nicely made. Warm. But that's not why people at school buy them. They do because they're trendy , have the big logo and say, "look at me I can afford one". Kind of like north face, etc.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Navy peacoats are wonderful, that said i suggest you look on here, because from what everyone says the older ones are better. Im planning on replacing mine for next winter, i got it from the local surplus store but it isnt all that great. Ill probably justify the purchase to my family by giving it to my mom.
Good luck
Wolfe
Edit- Whoopsie, forgot the link! http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat

alangloi

New in Town
A parka would be a real wise choice when the northern Ohio weather becomes challenging. I worked at a Navy depot in Mechanicsburg, PA for eight years in the late eighties and the coldest I experienced was a minus 10 degrees with 20 mph wind, and snow of course. As a Florida transplant I was glad to have on a long thinsulated gortex parka, with a wool watch cap and leather gloves while walking in from the parking lot. You do want to keep your hands warm and your head covered. I was lucky to make it back to northern Florida and I still have that parka, watch cap and gloves. The only negative point to the parka (and any winter clothing) is that it tends to be bulky when traveling on a airplane. I think if I was flying to a cold area again for pleasure I might consider the current issue Air Force style A2 (with side entry pockets) and wear a sweater underneath.

A co-worker grew up in northern Ohio, and he mentioned the 30 foot snowplow blades they used in Ohio during the winter. I don't know how much of that was fact and how much of that was a tall tale. :rolleyes:

Corto

A-List Customer
Northern Ohio Winter Wear TMI

I live about an hour and 20 minutes north of Wooster, and I can tell you that the Carhartt Duck Canvas Arctic Coat will get him through 4 years of college. It's a no-bs, very durable, very warm coat. In the last...15 years...I've owned a succession of 3 of them. The Carhartt Arctic Coat with Nylon outer shell won't fade or show any signs of wear like the Duck Canvas- but the latter will look cooler. (I prefer the canvas- which does a great job at blocking the wind.) http://bit.ly/9PgV5p

He can get a snap on hood for the Arctic coat (he won't wear it probably- but it's nice to have handy), and he should also probably purchase a light 100 or 200 weight polartec fleece (with a collar that zips up his neck) to wear underneath when it gets really cold. A $5 wool watch cap will also put him in good stead. (and a cheap, long, scarf). I wear nomex flight gloves outside in most winter weather for dexterity- but I also keep heavy duty wool and leather military gloves in the car just in case.

I don't get down to Wooster much, but I'll bet any sporting goods or hunting store in the vicinity will carry the Carhartt Arctic Duck jacket. I also have a peacoat. The Schott 740 (http://bit.ly/aGGqoO) is warm enough for Ohio winter weather. (It's also a little classier than the Carhartt).

To be honest if I was going to be stuck outside for some reason, I'd rather be wearing the Carhartt because it enables a good range of motion (although...I think I shoveled snow one day last winter for 3 hours straight wearing my peacoat...you can't beat that collar for keeping the wind off your neck...). Just tell him to get the Carhartt. It'll also help him blend in... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic