Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patina or Damage?

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Hey folks, Im interested in an Aero Longshoreman at a local consignment store. It's listed as having "nice patina" but I'm wondering if it's more like sun/water damage? Difficult to assess from the pictures, but If so is it treatable or is it fine the way it is? Thanks in advance:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230416-084643.png
    Screenshot_20230416-084643.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_20230416-084632.png
    Screenshot_20230416-084632.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20230416-084619.png
    Screenshot_20230416-084619.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 202

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I never considered it but that could be direct sun in the lighter areas. Either way I would leave it be but if that’s a CXL jacket (which it appears to be) if it is in fact patina or surface color loss, a wee bit of oil and it’s gone forever.
Thanks, I thought I wouldn't need any other jackets now that Regius is making them for me, but I underestimated the urge to hunt, buy and sell used jackets; the anticipation of an incoming package and possible grail piece inside. Once you have the bug it's hard to give it up:)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Re-Ride!

That's CXL Patina. There is a small white tag in the hand pockets, it will have the production date and machinist. You can check with Aero on its details. But looks like CXL FQHH. Lots of people will shy away from the grains on the back, it won't hurt to make an offer, it could be a great deal.

jeo

One Too Many
I'm 99% sure its the sun affecting the color.

Both back and front photos are in the same location (top right arrows) but not laid out on the ground on the same angle. And on both back and front you see abrupt color change from where the sun is hitting the jacket.

If it's a local consignment shop I would go there and see it in person so you can be 100% for certain.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 3.20.09 PM.png

I thought you were talking about the wrinkles on the back…
@jeo is correct, the warmer areas appear to be sunlight coming through a window or something. Ask them to take shots in full sun or full shade.

I’ll bet a coating of Blackrock will have this baby looking good as new.

Last edited:

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Re-Ride!

That's CXL Patina. There is a small white tag in the hand pockets, it will have the production date and machinist. You can check with Aero on its details. But looks like CXL FQHH. Lots of people will shy away from the grains on the back, it won't hurt to make an off
G
I'm 99% sure its the sun affecting the color.

Both back and front photos are in the same location (top right arrows) but not laid out on the ground on the same angle. And on both back and front you see abrupt color change from where the sun is hitting the jacket.

If it's a local consignment shop I would go there and see it in person so you can be 100% for certain.

View attachment 508408
Good eye:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner