Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patina or Damage?

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Hey folks, just to follow up it appears to have been the sun shining in from a window causing the on camera discoloration. My bad, had me fooled though:) see attached photos. Thanks for the input gentlemen regardless:)

Attachments

• 30949-AERO-jacket-01.jpg
    30949-AERO-jacket-01.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 30949-AERO-jacket-06.jpg
    30949-AERO-jacket-06.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 30949-AERO-jacket-04.jpg
    30949-AERO-jacket-04.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 69

Damon141

Practically Family
I wonder if the black tinted Pecards would darken those spots.

Only if they bothered you though

They advertise it as a subtle tint versus a heavy black shoe polish type, I saw some pictures where it seemed to leave the patina

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I wonder if the black tinted Pecards would darken those spots.

Only if they bothered you though

They advertise it as a subtle tint versus a heavy black shoe polish type, I saw some pictures where it seemed to leave the patina
Good to know, thanks for the tip:)

Edward

Bartender
Just to clarify-- leather patina is additive, right? Oil, dirt, etc add a new layer to the leather surface that becomes bonded on. It is not simply the dye/pigment fading away. At least that's how I think of it.

I don't know that there is any one, true definition.... for me, dirt is dirt; I would regard 'patina' as a kind of wear - where it shines at points of high wear, and lightens / the colour varies, and so on. Sun fading or darkening. I wouldn't count damage (but then even as a kid when it was fashionable to buy pre-distressed, I hated holes in my jeans) as "patina", but I suppose staining (as distinct from dirt that can be cleaned off) is arguable.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Just to clarify-- leather patina is additive, right? Oil, dirt, etc add a new layer to the leather surface that becomes bonded on. It is not simply the dye/pigment fading away. At least that's how I think of it.
To me, leather patina is subtractive. The top pigmented layer rubs off at stress points, very much like fades in denim, revealing the hide underneath. I like the dark brown (chocolate) leather that fades to lighter brown the best. I mean vintage leather, not the new gimmicky engineered "tea core". I saw Star Gloves and Langlitzes that are breathtaking.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I agree there's a difference between patina and fade. To me, fade is from frictional wear and tear, or "taken away". Patina is "added on". However it's not just dirt and oil. Could just be simple oxidation or reaction with air. I've been using this natty shell wallet for some time now, I've never oiled it, and I do my laundry often enough for it not be dirt.
Now:
IMG_4975.JPG

before:
IMG_2286.JPG

Just exposing the leather to the air can darken it over time. These are full aniline so speeds things up much more. But even paint can react to oxidation differently. Depending on the pigment used. The best example would be the Terra Cotta Soilders. They were vibrantly colored and few moments after unearthed they looked like they were dug out from the remains of Pompeii. Obviously whoever made the pigment then would've been beheaded with today's quality standards...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner