Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Payment Methods for Online Purchases

Python

New in Town
Since it's just about fall (my favorite time of year), I am in the market for a few new hats. I spent some time looking at the recommended Online dealer's web sites and choose about 3 hats I want to buy. Unfortunately for me, these Online hat stores don't take Paypal.

I sent them the an email asking how one could pay for the hats via Paypal and the response was, "we don't take Paypal". No one asked how they could set up a Paypal account to accommodate my request. I have been buying items Online for years and have built up a pretty substantial cash reserve in my Paypal account for Online purchases. That's where my cash is but I discovered that the vast majority of Online hat stores won't take my money.

Quite a number of folks (particularly on this forum) are trying to get "modern" society to start wearing dress hats again but I suppose we need to also work on the hat stores who run Online business to get with the modern world and accept Paypal as a method of payment.

Is it just me? Am I asking the unreasonable?

Regards,
Jim

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Get a free Paypal debit card. Slick as cow slobbers.

You can then spend your Paypal funds anyplace that takes a card. Online retailers, or the local Target for that matter. Complete access to your funds on your terms.

epic610

One of the Regulars
i usually pay with just....

a regular debit card and have never had any difficulties. i know, the one time i do might cost a lot, but i have this naive faith in the online purchasing systems.

homergeg

New in Town
scotrace said:
Get a free Paypal debit card. Slick as cow slobbers.

You can then spend your Paypal funds anyplace that takes a card. Online retailers, or the local Target for that matter. Complete access to your funds on your terms.

What he said! Plus you get 1 1/2% back for purchases you make with the card! Just make sure they run it as a credit card, not a debit card.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I had this problem with Noggintops recently. The guys there were very helpful and did their best to find another way for me to pay (I wanted a hat care kit lol), but in the end I had to just give up.

As a UK inhabitant in a world of almost exclusively American and Australian online hat shops, PayPal is much easier since the currency conversions are in-built. What's more, since I don't have a credit card (and have no intention of getting one!), I only have a debit card for online transactions. It works fine domestically, but for overseas purchases it's usually not accepted, so I use PayPal from the same account.

Doh!

One Too Many
While I do have a PayPal account, most of my online purchases are made with a Visa credit I keep with a low credit limit for online use only.

Python

New in Town
Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to look into the Paypal debit card. I made a deal with my wife a long time ago that I could spend anything I wanted on my toys (hats, musical equipment, photography equipment, etc) if I only use the money I have in Paypal and not use a credit card. It's a pretty fair deal for me as I have a lot of very nice toys and never hear any complaints :)

Regards,
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace