Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PC vs Mac - Apple looks very attractive right now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I don't at all intend on starting a debate. I think it has been hashed over a few times here already, at least indirectly while discussing another topic. And while this may be a topic for another message board, this is the only one I'm really a part of, and I know there are more than a few Mac users here.

After years of PC use, things have started to dramatically suck. Yes, I know, that's a bit harsh for Cabinetman, but 'tis true. Apple has a pretty convincing ad campaign running right now. Apparently it's working since I am thinking about it.

I am especially interested in hearing from former PC users who now use a Mac. Do you miss anything about Windows? Are the operating systems similar at all? Any of you gone back to a PC? Who uses both (like one at work and the other at home, for instance)?

Any other input? Thanks for your help.

Cab

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
"PC" from the current commercials? Actually, I watched that, but must have been too late in the show. Or is there a different episode on at 8/7 than at 11/10?

Rosie

One Too Many
I am and have been a Mac user for years at home and at work. There have been occasions where I have ahd to use a PC, working at a different school, summer school in a different district and I do not like PCs. I find them to be confusing and in my experience, they haven't been very stable, crashes, etc. Even the people I know, they are always having some trouble with their computers, they freeze, crash, they get viruses. The only times I have ever had trouble with any of my Macs are the two times, on different computers, when my hard drive has died. If you want to use a Mac but miss windows, you can get an emulator and run windows on a Mac. Being a purist, I don't do that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You asked!

Well, my friend...

I learned to use a PC in 1992, which was DOS. A couple of years later I moved to Windows 3.1 (?). Then Win98, Win 2000, WinXP, etc. So I learned and cut my teeth on a PC. I was also the default IT/repair guy at my office for several years. I taught, for three years, an Adult Education class for beginning computer users, all PC.

In 2000, I began to shop for a new machine for home. After months of hand-wringing, I bought an iMac, mostly on the strength of the promise of what OSX was to become. Also, I had just come through the idiotic makework "Y2K disaster" nonsense and wanted to pull away from anything that smacked of anything vulnerable to something so stupid (and ultimately bogus).

OS9 was a struggle for me. It "felt" wrong and I never got used to it. I adopted the largely beta OSX the day it was released and forced myself to struggle through having an OS with very little to put on it.

In 2001, I bought a Powerbook for my office. Also in my office is a Dell PC from 1998 that I never took beyond Win98 because I HATE to touch it. I have to use it for proprietary software occasionally or it would be in the dumpster. It crashes about once a day. Its actual useful life ended in about 2000.

I use, strictly, Macs. For everything except the above-noted occasions. I have not ever, EVER in the last four years or so found myself unable to do something because I had a Mac. Especially now that they have an intel processor, it's just unimaginable. When you count that you can now run anything for Mac, Windows, Unix or Linux on a Mac - the argument that there's less software for a Mac is rather silly.
And it's true. No viri, no background downloads, no popups, no spyware. The system is locked with a good firewall and the gates are closed out of the box. Will they get something sometime? Perhaps. But the argument that Macs should be crossed off the list of possibilities because they might get a security problem when a wintel machine can be completely compromised in under 20 minutes of connection to the internet is foolishness.
At home I now have an iMac 20" G5 and love it. The original iMac is still in full use (OSX 10.4.7) also. Can you expect 6 - 7 years of very useful life out of a Dell? My iPod is seamless with the setup, which also includes a wifi and Bluetooth network. I have yet to have a single reboot due to a problem or lockup since about OSX 10.1. I now use the latest version, 10.4.7. I am also founder and President of the local Mac User Group, with about 80 members. AND I bought stock in AAPL, which has risen from the $11 I paid to over 80 (now at 59 or so).
Mac OSX is so inuitive. I tell people, just think about what seems logical and try it. It will probably work. It's almost like an extension of my own brain. Always amazes me.
A Mac is NOT more expensive than a PC when you include the software needed to make them similar, including annually-renewed $ anti-malware.
Why would you pay a lot of money for a computer in a very generous spirit of forgiveness for its many shortcomings?

Yes. :) I take the Apple Kool-Aid intravenously, via pressure washer...

Do it Cabinetman. You'll never look back. PM me if I can help or advise.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alright,
Having had this conversation for the past 4 years with people, I can sum it up with a few key elliments.

1. Its not about the Hardware, its the software. Its what you deal with, talk to, and interact with all the time. Apple makes both (when it comes to the OS), so their intergration is next to seamless. Also because of this 'reputation' lends additional support when connectiing prefricials such as scanners and camera. Drivers and software are generally alreadt installed so plug and play without any window poping up is a general case.

2. Macs use standard language in just about EVERY TYPE OF COMPUTER THINGGIE AVALIABLE. USB, PPoE, DHCP, 80211b/g, etc etc etc. The ONLY 'out there' propritory file format is AAC, a derivitive of Mpeg 4, so its kinda not that prepriitory . . . In other words, connecting to Pee Cee things is easy, and wont require much effort.

3. Its a computer, it cant read your mind, or anticipate your actions. YOu have to learn how to speak to it to do what you want it to do. Macs arnt pstchic. General ease of use will happen once you stop worring about 'messing it up'. A tch said a great line, "You cant brake software."

4. They are not more expensive. I know people will bark and hollar about this one, and Im sure I can fish out numbers, and all sorts of evidence but when you take into acoount the standard model, the SW that is comes loaded with, and all the other stuff, they are about the same.

5.They are not just for 'artists'. I know people whowork in law firms who use them. THey can be Point of Sale Machines, education machines, servers, etc.

Thats about it for the hardcore stuff. Sure they look cool, and such, but all in all its about hte OS and how it talks to YOU.

*sorry for typos no time to spell check*

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BellyTank said:
I also heard that you can run OSX on a PC..(?)

B
T

Flip it. There is a SW that comes on the new intel Macs call "Boot Camp" that allows you to boot Windoze on a Mac. There are also 3rd party SWs as well, and since Microsoft bought virtual PC and discontinued it, something had to be done.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
VPC wasn't worth a pint of warm spit anyway.

The only MS software I use now is Excel, which is still a decent product. I've even eliminated Windows media Player with a program that auto-converts everything to Quicktime (which IMO, is vastly superior to WMP or REAL Player).

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Apple makes great machines. They're stable, they do what they're supposed to, they don't crash much, and for certain applications like graphics and art, the software is outstanding. And BTW - Apple just announced a new student iMac that will run about $899. They ought to sell a bunch of those, as Apples have always been much too expensive for what you get. (Note: this iMac will have a 1.83 GHZ processor, which is rather slow by PC standards.) Cabinetman might find this machine much to his liking!

However, I have no use for them.

As a PC user, I don't understand Apple's OS, language, terms, or interface in general. It's completely counter-intuitive to me. I can't find anything on a Mac, and I can't use the software - it makes no sense to me. So I don't even consider them. My daughter entering college this fall is comfortable with PCs and feels the same way.

PCs basically own the world. They cost a LOT less, they're very stable since XP came out, and parts, software and accessories are cheap. They do crash a bit more often, but how much of that is due to the hackers who constantly assault the OS or the $9.95 software that users install??

If you want the most bang for your buck, get a PC. If you want a different approach and can afford it - and if you like the interface - the Mac line of computers are all great machines. You won't make a wrong decision either way.

Really, this is Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge - pick the one you like, they're all good.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
VPC wasn't worth a pint of warm spit anyway.

The only MS software I use now is Excel, which is still a decent product. I've even eliminated Windows media Player with a program that auto-converts everything to Quicktime (which IMO, is vastly superior to WMP or REAL Player).

Oh, QT is so beyond rad its hard to quantify. And QTP (QuickTime Pro) is that +2!

LD

funneman

Practically Family
PC or Mac?

I use them both. I can't figure out why people find using a Mac so overwhelming. A friend of mine is fond of saying "Computers are like toilets, they may look differently but they all still flush the same way."

I can tell you this. I have had a Mac 9600 since 1996. It has run problem free for over ten years. I've gone through about four PCs in that time, most of them crashed loosing many valuable files in the process..

About a month ago, I thought I had lost one of the hard drives in the Mac. An IT guy came out to the studio, and in about sixty seconds had that thing running smoother and faster than ever.

Any questions?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I may be the perfect person to ask. I use PCs at work. I work for a financial institution. I have a beautiful PC, an HP with the latest software and on a very, very powerful network.

At home, I have an iBook G4, and an iBook G3, as well as an iMac. Daisy uses an iBook G4. We also have iPods. All of these machines are networked with AirPort Extreme. For software I have all of the Apple stuff, but this is where I am totally integrated; I also have Microsoft Office for MAC.

At work, everyday, everyday, one of my programs crashes; be it IE, be it WORD. I get error messages that I don't even understand ALL of the time. The IT guy comes and goes.

My Apple machines have never crashed, NEVER. Not since 1995. Occasionally, a program will lock up, but you use "Force quit" and it shuts down with everything saved.

When another machine comes over and wants to join my network, it fits right in, with files shared as per my parameters.

Here's a cool thing about MACS: link any two with a FireWire and one will become a hardrive for the other, and you can take anything off from them, even software.

Sadly, PCs may be inexpensive and they may be the norm, but they just don't work for normal people. They just don't work. When I bought PC laptops, I was buying one every two years. My last Apple lasted me 6, both because it was so powerful and because it was unaffected by viruses, of which there are none for MAC. Apple's security is that much better.

As for using PCs or Apples on a practical basis, as in opening files, browser bars, etc; I go back and forth between them seamlessly.

Go with value not price, what works for you over what your friends have. ;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll never go back, now I've got a Mac

Hello Cabinetman,
Once upon a time, about 5 years ago, I purchased my first Mac, and since then I couldn't be happier.
I started with a desktop, found it incredibly user friendly, the software was great, simple to use, and it NEVER crashes!
When I went to the store to look at computers, Hemingway Jones convinced me to play around with the Mac display, and I instantly loved it. Once I brought my new Mac home, I never missed my old PC days. I liked the brand so much I have since bought 2 lap tops, 2 ipods, and airport. I can't even imagine going back to using a PC.
So, as you can see, I highly recommend Mac. Every product I have ever used of theirs has been outstanding and exceeded my expectations. I know that the price can be higher than a plain old PC, but it is well worth it. My desktop is now 5 years old and it still runs fantastically. I bring my laptop with me everywhere I go.
So if you want an amazing computer that is user friendly, very easy to learn to use, high quality, never crashes, and can do anything you would want a computer to do, you should definitely buy Mac. I would be extremely surprised if you weren't more than satisfied with the purchase of one. Also, I found that when I used a PC, I needed to buy a new one at least every 18 months or so. Mac's last so much longer. Like I said, my desktop is almost 6 and it still runs better than great. Hemingway Jones just retired a laptop that was almost 7! I've never heard of any brand of PC with that kind of longevity.
Good Luck and remember, you can't get any better than Mac.
Daisy

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
University discount

Pilgrim said:
And BTW - Apple just announced a new student iMac that will run about $899. They ought to sell a bunch of those, as Apples have always been much too expensive for what you get. (Note: this iMac will have a 1.83 GHZ processor, which is rather slow by PC standards.) Cabinetman might find this machine much to his liking!
Hey Pilgrim,
Just to let you know, Mac has always offered a student system. They have been an integral part of the University system for at least 15 years. At least thats when I first saw a student offer for a Mac, when the first University I went to gave all it's students an offer to buy a Mac at a discounted "student edition".
Also, a good thing to know is when looking at the Mac website, if you choose to buy one on-line, they have a link to their education department. All you have to do is look up your school and they will automatically direct you to a list of many different Mac products, including "office for students" ( which to me is as good as regular office), at a discounted price. They even allow you to configure your own system and still give the discount. Everything from complete systems to speakers to ipods are offered. I only tell you this because I ordered my systems this way, and they never did anything to verify that I was actually a student! I was, of course, a student at the time. But, if you're looking to save a bit of money, just go to the education link on mac.com, pick a school, and see what they offer. The worst thing that can happen is you end up not getting the discount, which you wouldn't even be eligible for if you didn't give this harmless scheme a try.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Here's a cool thing about MACS: link any two with a FireWire and one will become a hardrive for the other, and you can take anything off from them, even software.

Thats called target disk mode. Pee Cees have something like that as well, I believe, but im not sure if its as simple tho. I LOVE it! Also a cool thing is firewire networking. :rolleyes: Oh, the joy. Having both CPUs on and running at the same time and being able to transfer 600MB files in seconds, mmmmmmm lovely.

LD

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am especially interested in hearing from former PC users who now use a Mac.
That's me, but I still use a PC from time to time.

Do you miss anything about Windows?
The main thing I miss is the lack of support for the 3d shoot-em-up games I like to play. That's why I still use a PC for them. That's the only reason I use a PC at home. As soon as I'm done playing, I switch back over to the Mac.

Are the operating systems similar at all?
Somewhat. In general, the Apple operating system (OS X... aka 10.4) is much more intuitive to use than Windows XP. My wife has been able to do much more on the Apple machine than she ever was able to do on our Windows machine. Back when we were a windows-only house, she always called me to resize/retouch pictures with Photoshop (a fairly difficult to use, and expensive program). Now, she uses iPhoto (free with all Apples) herself. This goes for many other tasks that the computer is used for: She's a fairly novice computer user, and now she's able to do more with it than she could before.

Any of you gone back to a PC? Who uses both (like one at work and the other at home, for instance)?

I probably won't go back to strictly windows anytime soon. I have to use a XP machine at work, and use the Apple at home, and have no problem switching between them. I do feel more efficient on the mac, though. It has a feature called Expose, which effectively makes "hot" corners of the screen. If I throw my mouse cursor up to the top left corner, all the windows I have open shrink and flip out so I can see every window that's currently open, and switch between them very quickly. It helps me a lot when switching through numerous documents, browsers, and applications while working on a project.

In short, I personally like Apple's OS better than windows because it works so doggone well.

On the hardware side, Apple's machines are svelte, well-designed, and very slick. There is a little premium that you'll pay for this, and the quality OS, but many of us feel it's worth it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I went from a manual typewriter to a Mac in 1997 -- and have never used any other kind of computer. I'm not a techie, and don't want to have to mess around with any of the innards -- I want to *use* the computer, not tinker around under the hood. So Macs made sense to me, and they still do.

That first Mac I got still works fine -- I still have it in my office and use it occasionally for the occasional routine word-processing job. The machine that replaced it, an early-model G4, has been running continuously for seven years now -- and has, knock wood, never had a serious problem. All I've had to do is replace a worn-out mouse and keyboard, and it's totally reliable. It's still my primary machine, even though I also have a G4 PowerBook I picked up second-hand.

The few times I've tried to use Windows machines, I've found them -- clumsy and uncomfortable, but that's more a matter of personal taste, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot