Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat repros or similar items

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for a good peacoat. Black. Doesn't have to be navy style, but something similar to 1900-1930 maritime wear is preferred. Is there a modern maker that sells something like this? Years ago, London Fog had one in their catalog that would have worked fine, but I haven't seen it lately.

Richard

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Darn good find, Starius. Thanks. In fact, the whole site is pretty good. If I order from them, I have a feeling it won't be just one item.

Richard

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a nice '50s issue swedish pea coat in navy blue with brass buttons, which I wear all the time when its cold. Cost about 30 bucks. bought it at a local surplus store. You might want to check army navy stores in person, because a lot of the cooler stuff, which they might not have in large quantities, never makes it online.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
Locktown,
Google around, I think you can do better price-wise (IIRC, I got mine for under $100) -
http://www.army-surplus.com/catalog/item/2887282/3943808.htm
http://www.army-surplus.com/catalog/item/2887282/2985356.htm

And the US Navy pea coat has had black Vulcanized rubber buttons since the 19th century, although the 2nd half of the 20th century they've been black plastic (indistinguishable, I'd say).

The buttons usually look close enough to never tell the difference. The real rubber ones tend to dry out and crack over time, however.

Thanks for all the links, boys. Greatly appreciated.

Richard

Edward

Bartender
Dinerman said:
I've got a nice '50s issue swedish pea coat in navy blue with brass buttons, which I wear all the time when its cold. Cost about 30 bucks. bought it at a local surplus store. You might want to check army navy stores in person, because a lot of the cooler stuff, which they might not have in large quantities, never makes it online.

Good call. I have something very similar, though mine is I believe West German. Bought it back in 1996 for GBP40.00. I had another one before that when I was 16 that I grew out of eventually. Great coats.

I also have one of these modern ones:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2664.html

I bought it back in 1999, and it's a fantastic winter coat. Kept me warm in NYC in February 04 when the temperature was crazy low - too cold to snow! Not all wool, but beautiful nonetheless (I wouldn't notice the difference, to be honest).

as a stylistic matter, I prefer a long overcoat nowadays, but there is a certain look to a peacoat, a style all of its own, and if you're in and out of seats all day, driving or whatever, it is an easier length to deal with.

Edward

Bartender
Rob said:
And, while I'm at it, allow me to throw a cat among the pigeons...

What's wrong with a good bridge coat instead? ;)

http://www.cctaylor.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=259

Nothing at all. :) I've come to prefer full length myself - when the navy peacoat needs repalced (or when I have the money, ha...) I have my eye on something just like that.... You can't beat the flow of a well cut, full length overcoat. I'm even tempted to weight the bottom of one a bit, just to give it, you know, a bit more oomph...

Jovan

Suspended
The eight button variety with a stand up collar is the most accurate for that period, I think. Plus, I just plain find them more attractive than the flat collared, six button ones of today. Sterlingwear makes one in 100% wool if money's no object. They are the official suppliers of the U.S. Military.

This thread also has some wonderful information on peacoats.

Rob

Familiar Face
FedoraGent said:
I would like to find a peacoat that would fit a large guy. Any ideas? I'm sure Tony in Tarzana would like it too.

FG

The US Wings link I provided above leads to some pretty big ones... depends on how big is big :eusa_doh:

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
LocktownDog said:
I am looking for a good peacoat. Black. Doesn't have to be navy style, but something similar to 1900-1930 maritime wear is preferred. Is there a modern maker that sells something like this? Years ago, London Fog had one in their catalog that would have worked fine, but I haven't seen it lately.

Richard
There's nothing like a vintage original...I searched long and hard for a peacoat as you described and managed to find an early WWII Navy issue peacoat in NOS condition. The fit, construction, and weight is the best. The little details like corduroy-lined handwarmers and inner cigarette pocket are nice. With patience you'll eventually find one on eBay. Good luck.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
mazeta said:
There's nothing like a vintage original...I searched long and hard for a peacoat as you described and managed to find an early WWII Navy issue peacoat in NOS condition. The fit, construction, and weight is the best. The little details like corduroy-lined handwarmers and inner cigarette pocket are nice. With patience you'll eventually find one on eBay. Good luck.

Yep. That was my thought too. Its more difficult finding them in my size (48). The smaller sizes are more easily available.

I don't care for the bridge coats, as they're too darn long and get in the way. You officer-types may have the luxury of standing on deck and doing diddly-squat, but there are those of us expected to haul line and move crates. ;)

Richard

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
WW I Navy Pea Coat

My Pop had a WW 1 verson when he was a young man. They were a touch longer than the WWII variety and they had a very wide lapel that when flipped up to ward off the cold it came just above the ears, and had a throat latch to button it up in place when one had to pull the cold deck duty. He had told me about it when I was a kid and lamented its loss. His father sold it because it was lying around while my Pop was serving over in Europe in the 1950's. He thinks the current coats were too skimpy.
Has anybody here seen one of these specimens around? If so, I'd love to get a hold of either an original or reproduction.

Cheers!

Dan

Peacoat

Bartender
It's hard to find a WWI peacoat. Many sellers on Ebay will advertise as WWI or WWII, but most have no idea of the period of the coat they are selling.

There are sometimes older coats available on the link I provided in an earlier post in this thread, or you might find one on Ebay. If you have a candidate, I would be willing to let you know what I think of it's pedigree. Don't always monitor the board on a daily basis, but I try to check in occasionally.

If you like I will send you a PM with my email address and you can notify me when you have something cornered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24