Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoats from the world...

Peacoat

Bartender
When Scot sees this, he can merge the two threads. I think the "other country pea coats" thread should have its own identity.

I too, would like to see more pictures of the RCN peacoat. Maybe laid out flat so we can see the details better.

So, Dinerman, do you know if the RCN version is similar to the RN peacoat? Or if there is even a RN peacoat?

Finally we are getting somewhere with the RN and RCN thing.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I know it is not the done thing o post live auctions but I came across this this morning and thought I would post it just out of interest but if Paddy wants it getting rid of just say and I will bin the link.

Normally I would say it is dodgy because it is something I have never heard mention of but the name James Smith & Co (Derby) on the label is a make I have seen on other government issue gear (1970s -80s), and as some people have said it is called an overcoat on the label according to the seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-New-Ex-Navy-Double-Breasted-Black-Wool-Trench-Overcoat-Pea-Coat-Jacket-38-/150766986104?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item231a69a378

Peacoat

Bartender
The rules changed some time back, and it is OK to post links to live auctions.

I tried contacting the seller to get more information, but there was a notice that the seller was "unavailable to answer questions." Probably because she doesn't ship internationally and my ebay ID marks me as being in the US. I wanted to ask her where the coat came from and why she thought it was navy issue. The first question might well have answered the second. Perhaps one of you chaps there in the UK could follow up with the seller.

The buttons look un-militaristic, and have a fashion look about them. Other than that, it looks like it could be a RN peacoat.

Thanks for posting the link.

PC.

Peacoat

Bartender
Not being able to contact the seller, I looked into James Smith & Co. It was a large manufacturer of British combat gear during the 60s through the 80s or perhaps the 90s. The company was incorporated 12/31/65 and went into liquidation during the 90s. It was finally dissolved on 6/16/98. There were factories in Derby, Rhymney and Staveley. So, it appears the peacoat in the link posted by Tony B. could date from the mid 60s through the late 80s, which is basically what Tony said in his post above.

I would like to know more about the coat, though, and how those buttons got on it. They just don't look like military buttons that would have come with an issue coat.

wintergreen

New in Town
I have a peacoat made by James Smith & Co.
While I dont doubt it was made for a uniform I have always doubted it was made for the Navy, although I could well be wrong.
Picture009.jpg

I tried to get a closeup of the button and you may notice the 2 embroidered holes which are on the left side of the chest.
Picture011.jpg

Picture008.jpg

The photos with flash make the colour look washed out but it is a black heavy felted wool and has held up to all kinds of weather over the last couple of years

Tony B

One of the Regulars
That label isn't a nato label so I would guess it isn't navy, But the size numbers look like old WD sizes found on WW2 battle dress so would smack of something governmental...prison service or something? god knows.

wintergreen

New in Town
I guess it could be a prison officers coat, the embroidred holes seem to indicate it would have taken some sort of insignia. I'm sure somebody will come along who knows.
I would say that coat on ebay which a link was provide too would make a great coat for somebody, at that price I would have snapped it up myself in an instant if it was my size.

Peacoat

Bartender
That is the same style coat as the one provided in the link by Tony B. Same buttons as well. While similar in size and shape as the RN buttons, they lack the RN designation. With no NATO tag, I tend to think it is a civilian coat made by James Smith & Co.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
This might be of interest. The BBC just did a photo news story on 100 year old colour photography from Russia. This was the 5th photo in the series. not sure if these would be peacoats per se.

_59188723_esailors2-1.jpg

Caption:
The high-quality pictures open an unexpectedly vivid window on a long-vanished world. Here is the crew of the steamship Sheksna, on the Volga-Baltic waterway. The figure standing second-from-right moved his head during one of the three separate colour exposures, each of which lasted from one to three seconds.

Photo from 1909-1912

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-17449958
(the original has a wider shot, I edited this post so the picture is better; photobucket size issues...)

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
That is the same style coat as the one provided in the link by Tony B. Same buttons as well. While similar in size and shape as the RN buttons, they lack the RN designation. With no NATO tag, I tend to think it is a civilian coat made by James Smith & Co.

I live very close to where the old company was, and up until the mid 80's you could buy sub standard military clothing at huge discounts from the factory shop..usually DPM stuff but others also, as far as I know they only ever made clothing for government contracts...Fire Service maybe?

guygardner

A-List Customer
This might be of interest. The BBC just did a photo news story on 100 year old colour photography from Russia. This was the 5th photo in the series. not sure if these would be peacoats per se.

_59188723_esailors.jpg

Caption:
The high-quality pictures open an unexpectedly vivid window on a long-vanished world. Here is the crew of the steamship Sheksna, on the Volga-Baltic waterway. The figure standing second-from-right moved his head during one of the three separate colour exposures, each of which lasted from one to three seconds.

Photo from 1909-1912

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-17449958
(the original is a bigger picture, for some reason)

Those are some amazing photos. The sailors look like they're wearing the same peacoat as the Soviet peacot posted a few pages back. Looks like they kept the design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner