Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect foundation/face powder

Naama

Practically Family
Hello girls!

So, over the years, I think my make up is getting better and better, but there is still one thing I just can't seem to master, and it's quite frustrating, since it's the most importent part of looking good.....

So, I have rather difficult skin. I have quite a few pimples but at the same time, rather dry skin.... So I usually use MACs Studio Powder plus Foundation, it's a powder which is alos a foundation on at the same time, it's non liquid. Underneath I just use some moisturiser. My problem now is, that my skin is somehow flaking.... Especially at the nose, forehead and around my lips.... I already tried to use liquid foundation, but that doesn't work either... Usually, it just gets worse if I then put powder over it. I'm really sick at this, because it looks horrible and makes me wanna hide underneath a rock all day long :eek: (pathetic, I know)
I often hear that one must use some facescrub to remove the skinflakes, but that just seems to make it worse since it makes the skin even dryer.... :/

Any suggestions from you girls?

Naama

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A gentle scrub two-three times a week plus a thicker moisturizer. I have combination skin that does the same thing as yours, and it's a real pain! But if you're flaking, you need to get a richer mosturizer to combat it plus a nice scrub. What are you currently using?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I get the flakes too, but usually only this time of year. It is maddening... I to use a powder/foundation in one, but during this time it doesn't seem to do the trick. And I think if I try to use a creamy foundation it magnifies the flakes.

I bought a little buff puff to exfoliate, which has helped. But seems like I'll have to tough it out like every year, [huh]

One of my favorite moisterizers for the really drying times is Bioelements. Very thick and creamy. I didn't splurge on it this year and it did show somewhat.

Nikki

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have the same issue, and I generally exfoliate with a washcloth (I have to be careful with using scrubs too often as my skin is very sensitive.) I use a good moisturizer, and then a primer underneath the powder to help with the extra dryness this type of foundation can cause.

I'll add that Aveda's Dual Foundation is my favorite powder foundation—it is much less dry feeling/heavy than Studio Fix, and the lightest shade is super pale.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You can also chemically exfoliate with alpha hydroxy acid products. Of course, be careful to use suncreen if you use that.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
I would avoid using chemicals on your skin...and suggest some burt bees stuff check out the range and see what works best for you...rose hip oil is amazing (only use at night) it heal gets rid of blemishes totally nourishes your skin. Mabylliene mousse works great on me...has that matt ultra natural light finish but evens your skin tone out...i get dry skin and this is fine on it...Drinking lots of water helps keep your skin blemish free and hydrated too :p

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The Kiehl's products sound amazing! I usually gently exfoliate with a washcloth. Living in such a dry climate I get dry skin like you wouldn't believe. I also found that changing face products cause me to break out. That's why I started using a washcloth.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I like the Alba botanica sea enzyme scrub. It is scrubby but the particles are super tiny so they are more gentle than most scrubs that I have tried. Good luck! The only other suggestion I have is maybe to try a cream-stick or other emollient foundation.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Pink Dahlia said:
The Kiehl's products sound amazing! I usually gently exfoliate with a washcloth. Living in such a dry climate I get dry skin like you wouldn't believe. I also found that changing face products cause me to break out. That's why I started using a washcloth.

I *love* Kiehl's stuff. I just noticed that that product isn't meant for acne-prone skin (though I have used it without problems), which surprised me.

Kiehl's has the BEST winter body mositurizer on the planet. http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catal...Cat=F1_Moisturizers_Body&TopCode=&prdcode=259

Naama

Practically Family
"Good" to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
But I'm a bit afraid of using too heavy moisturizers, since I also have pimples and from time to time my skin can get a bit greasy on the nose and chin.... I'ts a drag with my skin... :/ Well, I will look through those suggested products... Maybe I'll find something that really works. Thanks!

Naama

Miss_Bella_Hell

You know, last night I did two masks and afterwards my skin looked and felt amazing! I followed a drying acne mask with a moisturizing mask.
B0009HBOU4.01-A1E5XTDSAV2ESC._AA250_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

followed by
B000HHWWXE.01-A3TD5KHR81XWFB._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also, if you're worried about the greasies you might just try the heavier moisturizer at night, just something cheap and simple like Cetaphil works.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
If you can get away with it, stop using foundation. I used to have flakey skin, but I now only wear foundation for special occasions and no longer have flakes.

I wear powder over moisturizer now, and find that my skin breaks out less too.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Naama said:
"Good" to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
But I'm a bit afraid of using too heavy moisturizers, since I also have pimples and from time to time my skin can get a bit greasy on the nose and chin.... I'ts a drag with my skin... :/ Well, I will look through those suggested products... Maybe I'll find something that really works. Thanks!

Naama

I can't believe you brought this up! My skin has been pretty maintainable, however over the past three months I have the same issues. Too much moisturizer leads to a pimples and too much of my Neutragena product leads to dry skin. It's become maddening. I can not for the life of me find a balance. It's been so super dry since January and I know that is a huge factor, and I am trying to drink more water to see if helps this issue.

Even when I use Ponds cold cream I wake up with a fresh pimple...oy!
I will be watching this thread for more answers!!!!

You are not alone my friend ~ xo

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I also highly recommed using a gentle exfoliating cleanser. I use proactive solution cleanser and find that it works really great.
It also sounds like your skin may be sensitive, I would start with using an oil free moisturizer. I've had great success with Mary Kay brand.
t-zones, these can be very troublesome, especially as the weather gets warmer. mattifiers work great. Also, I use mary kay brand for this, but there are plenty of products out there that work just as well. Using a mattifier does the trick in keeping the t-zone areas of the face shine-free for the whole day. Which in turn, keeps your make-up in place!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What to do for even skin tone

20's
What's happening? Skin injuries (pimples, insect bites, burns and cuts) can leave temporary scars that look like dark spots with fuzzy borders.

Treatment; Your first line of defense is prevention: When breakouts occur, use a product with salicylic acid to fight blemishes and exfoliate skin for a brighter, more even-toned complexion. Soy keeps skin tone even and prevents dark scars from forming after a breakout. Sun exposure increases discoloration, so wear sunscreen every day.

30's
What's happening? Sun spots-tiny, well-defined brown dots start to appear. Estrogen shifts(usually from pregnancy or birth-control pills) can cause larger patches of skin discoloration.

Treatment: Most sun damage isn't visable until a decade or two after it occurs. Shield skin from damage with antioxidants like black tea, and use moisturizers with lightening ingredients like soy or licorice root. Brighten your face by removing dead skin cells with a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid. Avoid harsh scrubs, which can injure skin and make it red andn blotchy.

40's
What's happening? As you age, estrogen levels drop, which can lead to acne flare-ups and an overall loss of luster.

Treatment: Plant estrogens, like soy can help restore youthful radiance and prevent pimples. But for stubborn brown age spots, the skin lightener hydroquinone is the 'gold standard'. Use it once or twice a day for three months max. Don't overdo it, overuse can backfire and actually make skin darker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner