Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peruvian (Ecuadorian?) hats?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
In summer days, the streets of our old towns are filled with tourists and, here and there, you will see South-American street hawkers stalling their wares on the sidewalk. These include pan-flutes, colorful woollen or cotton clothes and, quite prominently, black hats.

When our sons were small kids, we bought each a hat. Which were never worn, and which ended in the attic...until...yep, yours truly.

At first I used them as a prop, to store other hats on, so the shape would be -more or less- supported.

Since I purchased a large "professional" hat-stretcher, I'm considering trying to enlarge these hats by 2-3 sizes. The felt is stiff as cardboard. But, unless I'm mistaken, it appears real felt.

Does any one know what these cheap Peruvian (or is it Ecuadorian?) hats are made of?

Paul

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
In summer days, the streets of our old towns are filled with tourists and, here and there, you will see South-American street hawkers stalling their wares on the sidewalk. These include pan-flutes, colorful woollen or cotton clothes and, quite prominently, black hats.

When our sons were small kids, we bought each a hat. Which were never worn, and which ended in the attic...until...yep, yours truly.

At first I used them as a prop, to store other hats on, so the shape would be -more or less- supported.

Since I purchased a large "professional" hat-stretcher, I'm considering trying to enlarge these hats by 2-3 sizes. The felt is stiff as cardboard. But, unless I'm mistaken, it appears real felt.

Does any one know what these cheap Peruvian (or is it Ecuadorian?) hats are made of?

Paul

You may be surprised....Bolivia imported a lot of Borsalinos for the Indian woman who wear bowler hats customarily.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cholas?
589759-Cholas-0.jpg
day3_Portrait%20Chola%20Mayor.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
I don't know what they're made of but 2-3 sizes sounds like a reblock rather than a stretch. Just stretching may result in a wierd bulge at the base of the crown.

I have a Worth & Worth fedora that was made in Columbia. I don't know the felt composition but it's not stiff at all. It's so soft that it barely holds a crease.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Thanks guys, for your kind replies...still as many questions, though, but that's not surprising. Lefty, the hat looks a bit like the "chola" in the left picture, minus the pencil-rolled rim. Mind you, the "felt" quality is not very soft...

I dunked one hat in a bowl of water till fully soaked. Stretches easy on that garrotting device I have... I put a nylon trousers-belt around the base of the crown, to keep the brim from deforming, and -so far- everything looks like it's in good shape. I've already started "modeling" the brim: slightly down at the front, up in the rear and (slightly) on the sides. Let it dry like that... Wet, the material feels soft and malleable. Wool? Mmmm.... would not be surprised (disappointed, yes!).

Right now the hat remains on that torture thing, stretched one good size over my usual 57 (7-1/8), in a cool place, drying out. I suppose that, once dry, I'll know more; whether still stiff, whatever...

If I haven't completely destroyed that hat, I'll post some pictures...

Paul

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
There is such a thing as felt--and hats--made of alpaca and llama. See here. That doesn't mean that that's what you have, but those would be popular native materials. Google for "alpaca felt hat" or "llama felt hat" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner