Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Habig Trachtenhut

5288517065_8bec829403_z.jpg

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
Fun thread! thanks for sharing, I learn a little from this forum every day. Today I learned not to be so fearful of weather.

...though I'm not sure what that cold looking white stuff is that's all over so many of your pictures. :)

Fun thread! thanks for sharing, I learn a little from this forum every day. Today I learned not to be so fearful of weather.

...though I'm not sure what that cold looking white stuff is that's all over so many of your pictures. :)

If I could tell you I would but I have no idea what it is either. [huh]:p;)
I have been assure it is not some kind of airbourne drug so.....:confused::D

MCrider

A-List Customer
zetwal, oh how I envy you.

Not me! I wore a fine vintage Stetson to Florida in Oct of 09. It stayed on the shelf until we came back a week later. Too hot for me. Now I'm not overly happy about snowstorms that leave you stranded (or an inch of the white stuff piled on your brim), but at least I get to wear something besides summer straws!

:eusa_doh:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Blizzard warnings for tomorrow could get over a foot of the white stuff. Not sure what hat to wear when I clear off the driveway. I guess you all will see when I post.

Jeff

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, my modern Stetson Open Road got wet in the rain. Let's see how it handled later, shall we? This is what it looks like right now.

Photoon2010-12-25at2233.jpg

I guess not too much, but it being modern Stetson felt is leaving me wondering what will happen.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here it is now, long after it had dried:

Photoon2011-12-26at2001.jpg

Photoon2011-12-26at20022.jpg

I think some parts of it are a little spotty, and I notice (in the last photo) where there's a spot around the front of the crown with a pinkish hue (middle of picture). I assume that the powder has been effected by the rain (I was not expecting it, myself. I just chose to wear the hat to a Christmas party). Do you think it's a good idea to just wet it a bit with shower water, to even it up, or let nature handle the whole powder issue? I still like the hat, and I knew what I was getting into with a modern Stetson, but I think I may need a little guidance from experienced modern Stetson owners here. Is it even a big deal? Does the hat look fine after that little rain?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If you will get a good hat brush and when it is dry, give it a good brushing each time it gets wet, things will even out. You need to get that puppy WET to wher it is a solid grey color then let it dry and do any further shaping of the brim when it is wet and give it a good brushing when dry. The more you wear it the BETTER it will get!. BTW, it looks VERY good on you with the brim snapped down. :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Monbla. I've actually taken to wearing it snapped down a bit on the front, with brim curl on the sides, western style. I've got to say, this is the biggest hat I've worn in years. In my opinion, on me it looks much more like a cowboy hat than simply a country fedora, but I appreciate that aspect too. I think it's gotta be the brim. It appears wide on me, while it appears narrower on some others around here.

A hat brush is not something I own, so I may have to order one online this week. So according to what you've said, regular shower water should be fine then? Thanks for the advice.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I just let my hats get wet when the circumstances are such. I've not ever purposely gotten any of mine wet other than from the elements I've worn 'em in. Not that it would hurt, but why? As far as shaping, I've allways used steam or as I said, done shaping when the hat is wet while it is drying. A good teakettle on the stove can produce some nice steam to work with ( besides is usfull for hot water for tea :) ) Remeber, all these neat looking hats we see in pics when men wore hats daily were of hats shaped by WEAR so put that puppy on your head and get out in the weather :)

Thank you, Monbla. I've actually taken to wearing it snapped down a bit on the front, with brim curl on the sides, western style. I've got to say, this is the biggest hat I've worn in years. In my opinion, on me it looks much more like a cowboy hat than simply a country fedora, but I appreciate that aspect too. I think it's gotta be the brim. It appears wide on me, while it appears narrower on some others around here.

A hat brush is not something I own, so I may have to order one online this week. So according to what you've said, regular shower water should be fine then? Thanks for the advice.

The hat looks great on you, JB, in time you will get used to the brim width.

Pompidou

One Too Many
164498_1489037995328_1515318688_31017843_4686307_n.jpg

Early morning and hard work are two phrases I don't really care for, but here is the fruit of my labor. Shame some of the snow fell off.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
And another hat from Connecticut and our snow storm. I am further south then Pompidou.
Akubra Slouch with Clan Shaw Cap Badge after doing the driveway
snowonslouch.jpg

snowonslouch2.jpg

Jeff

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'll bet that beautiful VS of yours took it like a champ, and looked good doing it, too! :eusa_clap

It did, actually. You using your xmas money to get your tree color scheme hat from VS? You'd love it - the snow and water are powerless to harm it - just beads up like a freshly waxed car and rolls off. I can't find spots on mine after about 6 months.

DRB

One Too Many
164498_1489037995328_1515318688_31017843_4686307_n.jpg

Early morning and hard work are two phrases I don't really care for, but here is the fruit of my labor. Shame some of the snow fell off.

It is possible that some of the snow fell off because you have a 100% beaver fur hat.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
TheGood, A few months ago, I got my new Stetson OR soaking wet. Not only did it actually soften the felt, it made me realize that it wouldn't be too hard at all to re-bash it.

I got my "white Christmas" wish...almost a foot of snow in Western North Carolina. I finally made it back home today, but here's a picture of my new VS Black Cherry out in the weather...

photo-29.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sir, you appear to have icicles in your mustache, but at least the hat looks nice and warm :).

FANTASTIC!!! :eusa_clap

It did, actually. You using your xmas money to get your tree color scheme hat from VS? You'd love it - the snow and water are powerless to harm it - just beads up like a freshly waxed car and rolls off. I can't find spots on mine after about 6 months.

The VS will come sometime this year, I'm sure. 2011 will mark the year I take the next step up from my Akubras, and will be a great year for me, hat-wise, I hope. I'm just having a hard time justifying the expense, as my college dorm environment and propensity for getting pen ink, hamburger grease, and ketchup in the most unusual places keep me concerned for the safety of such a find lid.

Right now I'm in the process of commissioning a custom from Buckaroo Hatters. With that, I'll have a hat I can throw around, which I hope will give me leeway to buy a hat I can baby (again, pen ink seems to find it's way onto most of my hats :D). Yes, a VS is on the list after a BH!

Now, I don't remember clearly the specifics: Was I planning a green porkpie with brown ribbon and binding, or a brown porkpie with green ribbon and binding?

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
Sir, you appear to have icicles in your mustache, but at least the hat looks nice and warm :).

FANTASTIC!!! :eusa_clap

The VS will come sometime this year, I'm sure. 2011 will mark the year I take the next step up from my Akubras, and will be a great year for me, hat-wise, I hope. I'm just having a hard time justifying the expense, as my college dorm environment and propensity for getting pen ink, hamburger grease, and ketchup in the most unusual places keep me concerned for the safety of such a find lid.

Right now I'm in the process of commissioning a custom from Buckaroo Hatters. With that, I'll have a hat I can throw around, which I hope will give me leeway to buy a hat I can baby (again, pen ink seems to find it's way onto most of my hats :D). Yes, a VS is on the list after a BH!

Now, I don't remember clearly the specifics: Was I planning a green porkpie with brown ribbon and binding, or a brown porkpie with green ribbon and binding?

Green with brown details - you've already got a ton of brown hats. I remember saying I was doing a green with brown and you said you had the same idea. After seeing The Broker's pic, I might get a cherry next. Cherry and Oxblood. I don't know. First I want to put the current Cabernet through its paces.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Thought I’d make a contribution to the thread, but it’s not a very impressive looking contribution though; my Nostalgia seems to shed water very well.

DSCF1391-Copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou