Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of fit and style that inspired you

Solo

Familiar Face
I know that the pursuit of the grail jacket is a futile endeavor. But, many of us have been on a journey of finding that perfect 'fit' and 'style' that we feel like we can really own. Various fit photos/feedback posts have been so helpful in landing on my current trove of jackets. I thought it would be fun and helpful to share the photos that inspired you towards certain fit and style.

Can you share what your current favorite styles are (as many as you want) and the photos that you think best showcase how the jacket should fit and be styled? The photos can be from the TFL members or any others you found inspirational along the quest.

Here's my contribution to get this thread going.

Cafe Racer/J100 for its simplicity and form-fitting* silhouette
*Can't stand those pants, though.

racer.jpg

Cross-zip without the belt and all the metal blings*
*Middle-aged man complex
sunset.jpg

Most of Superfluous's and Tony's jacket photos among others of similar fit. As most of you know..I just cannot understand the trend to wear leather jackets up above the belt or barely covering the wrists that many now seem to applaud ( I know, I know..that's the way some alert us all that they're supposed to be ). Often reminds me of the mountain man emerging from his isolated shack way back in the woods wearing pants up above his ankles ( and he didn't pay $1200 for them ) but bought them at the dry goods store after he graduated 5th grade years ago.

All of @ton312's fit pics.
I'm assuming you left this one out. LOL
IMG_2370.JPG

...in a star spangled rodeo....

I still have to laugh at this jacket. I cannot be accused of fearing fail. In spectacular fashion. It's actually got me thinking I should start a "missed it by that much" thread. I've got some classics I've never posted here. Really bad stuff. Makes the old cowboy kicker posted above look like a Himel.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 146064

I still have to laugh at this jacket. I cannot be accused of fearing fail. In spectacular fashion. It's actually got me thinking I should start a "missed it by that much" thread. I've got some classics I've never posted here. Really bad stuff. Makes the old cowboy kicker posted above look like a Himel.
Yeah, if it weren't for that stupid yoke, it could have been cool.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 146064

Prob be a fun thread. If you can’t laugh at yourself.....

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I feel sorry for anyone who can't! I've had more misses than hits in this hobby and it is a funny one to be sure, certainly not to be taken too seriously.
Ha ha
Yeah, how many times i’ve said “What the hell were you thinking Bowen”. Keeps you humble. Lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Laugh as you may but my formative ideas about vintage or vintage-style leather jackets that still determine how I view fit today came from two flicks: Pearl Harbour for the A-2 and Tobey Maguire in Seabiscuit, where I first fell head over heels for the halfbelt jacket.

I hate to confess this but I can't leave Tony hangin' out there all alone: in my teenage years I bought a 1980s-does-1950s cut suit (it was 1985 after all) that I wore to school dances and other places. It was nice gabardine suit, well cut, nicely proportioned and . . . bright mint green. I must've looked like a pompadoured leprechaun! I have a buddy who still fondly remembers me wearing it, and he wistfully says, "Oh man, that bloody green suit . . ." I'm glad no photographic evidence of it exists (to my knowledge).

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
On the topic of inspiration from TFL, is there a way to determine the jacket photo that has received the most “likes”? Would that be the winner?

Eh, so many sources to chose from... But I'd say the movies are my main source of inspiration.

On TFL I'm often inspired by the usual suspects, in no particular order; Dav, PN, Ton, TV, Terry, Nave and many others.

As most of you know..I just cannot understand the trend to wear leather jackets up above the belt or barely covering the wrists that many now seem to applaud

It'd be a lot simpler to just make this your signature at this point. :D

On the topic of inspiration from TFL, is there a way to determine the jacket photo that has received the most “likes”? Would that be the winner?

I'm pretty sure that'd be Joxi's photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails