Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Zephyr Union

New in Town
9964B380-4152-4B91-B1AE-DEBF6EF12BB6.jpeg

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
where can i get a press
DM me and I will see if I can pull up the contact who made a press for me, just an email address. I believe he used to be a machinist for Beaver Brand before they went out of business. Same press that was also used by Art Fawcett and Mike Miller of Northwest Hats uses this kind today. But it will be greater than $5K. I have used the press that JW Hats has when JW was still alive but this other one is better in my opinion and the JW one was greater than $7K but I don't know what the new owner charges today.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Sharing with everyone my invented hat making tool. Currently calling my ventillator rig. It is make from extruded aluminum and a couple of pieces of HDPE plastic. I made this as a floor tools as I like to stand while punching the ventilation holes, this rig allows me to punch into the top of the crown as well as the sides. I definitely over engineered this version of it but I am happy with its function. I have an idea for a version that clamps to a table.

The very top is to do the top of crown work. The center arm slides down and out of the way and can lock in place.
DSC_0150_sm.jpg

This image shows the center arm in the raised position and that is where I would use it to punch in the ventilation on the side of the crown.
DSC_0148_sm.jpg

Here is how the hat looks like on the rig for the top of crown work.
DSC_0154_sm.jpg

Here is how the hat looks on it with the center arm raised and ready to punch in ventilation on the side of the crown.
DSC_0157_sm.jpg

Here is the result of the top of crown ventilation. For the design,
I used the templates that I laser cut out of thin plastic a couple of years ago (images of them are posted somewhere on the Lounge).
DSC_0155_sm.jpg

Let me know what you think of my invention.

Sharing with everyone my invented hat making tool. Currently calling my ventillator rig. It is make from extruded aluminum and a couple of pieces of HDPE plastic. I made this as a floor tools as I like to stand while punching the ventilation holes, this rig allows me to punch into the top of the crown as well as the sides. I definitely over engineered this version of it but I am happy with its function. I have an idea for a version that clamps to a table.

The very top is to do the top of crown work. The center arm slides down and out of the way and can lock in place.
View attachment 335902

This image shows the center arm in the raised position and that is where I would use it to punch in the ventilation on the side of the crown.
View attachment 335901

View attachment 335903

Here is how the hat looks on it with the center arm raised and ready to punch in ventilation on the side of the crown.
View attachment 335905

I used the templates that I laser cut out of thin plastic a couple of years ago (images of them are posted somewhere on the Lounge).
View attachment 335904

Damn, I don't have this kind of mad skills. I use a piece of leather sweat with the template punched into it. I then tape the sweat to the hat, insert the block with a thick chunk of leather and a flexible piece of tin between the felt and block to protect the block. I think it best that no customer observes me building his hat!!!

Zephyr Union

New in Town

View attachment 335902

View attachment 335901

View attachment 335903

View attachment 335905

View attachment 335904

Shit did you tool all that metal yourself? You got a whole metal smithing shop also ?!? Lol

humanshoes

One Too Many

View attachment 335902

View attachment 335901

View attachment 335903

View attachment 335905

View attachment 335904

Excellent looking rig CWV!

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Damn, I don't have this kind of mad skills. I use a piece of leather sweat with the template punched into it. I then tape the sweat to the hat, insert the block with a thick chunk of leather and a flexible piece of tin between the felt and block to protect the block. I think it best that no customer observes me building his hat!!!

Thanks Robert! You have some mad skills of your own. Working with your neighbor learned how to make a flange and it looks pretty damn good and serviceable.

Shit did you tool all that metal yourself? You got a whole metal smithing shop also ?!? Lol

This time around I did not tool the metal. I made a 3D model and then worked with the 80/20 Aluminum extrusion company and they cut the metal to length and machined and tapped the holes for me and sent it to me in a kit that I then assembled. I picked up the HDPE from Tap Plastics. I am working on a sandbagger made out of the same aluminum extrusion and I am doing all the metalwork on that (which is probably why I had 80/20 do the work this time). The sandbagger is more of a design in progress as I build it as I haven't solved everything. I need to solve the functional piece that holds the sand and acts as the heated press. It will run off an air compressor and pneumatic cylinder. Someday I will have a whole machinist setup but right now I only have a cheap metal bandsaw, a sliding compound miter fit with a soft metals blade, a tabletop drill press, angle grinder, welder, and oxy-acetylene torch. So nothing on the precision side of things.

Excellent looking rig CWV!
Thank you Rick! I have a lot of learning to do if I want to catch up with your skills :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks Robert! You have some mad skills of your own. Working with your neighbor learned how to make a flange and it looks pretty damn good and serviceable.

This time around I did not tool the metal. I made a 3D model and then worked with the 80/20 Aluminum extrusion company and they cut the metal to length and machined and tapped the holes for me and sent it to me in a kit that I then assembled. I picked up the HDPE from Tap Plastics. I am working on a sandbagger made out of the same aluminum extrusion and I am doing all the metalwork on that (which is probably why I had 80/20 do the work this time). The sandbagger is more of a design in progress as I build it as I haven't solved everything. I need to solve the functional piece that holds the sand and acts as the heated press. It will run off an air compressor and pneumatic cylinder. Someday I will have a whole machinist setup but right now I only have a cheap metal bandsaw, a sliding compound miter fit with a soft metals blade, a tabletop drill press, angle grinder, welder, and oxy-acetylene torch. So nothing on the precision side of things.

Thank you Rick! I have a lot of learning to do if I want to catch up with your skills :)
I don't know about that, but I do know that I've had almost as much fun figuring out the "work arounds" as I have actually making the hats.

I don't know about that, but I do know that I've had almost as much fun figuring out the "work arounds" as I have actually making the hats.
Yes, I agree and often think there is a crazy streak in me. Whilst in the middle of the workaround process I hate it, I curse it but at the successful end of the process a great satisfaction and delight.

Zephyr Union

New in Town

Well when you dial in that bagger , I’d sure love to see it !

Randal Alan has himself a new rounding jack. Very interesting in that it uses 3 bearings to ride against the blocked hat body. Probably works well, just not enough of an innovation to get me to purchase a third rounding jack. I will continue to use my @humanshoes made rounding jack.

V2 Brim Cutter by Randal Alan Rounding Jack Made in | Etsy

View attachment 340735
Interesting design. If the bearings are on tension and will adjust to the block then that would be a great upgrade. It would be more adaptable to the varying block footprints....Long Oval, Reg Oval etc.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Thought I would put together a little video comparing the Jiffy Steamer and the Reimers Steamer. Also, showing the plumbing I put in my garage to support using the Reimers Steamer.

Removing old link.

This is a new link, I hope I got the permissions correctly so anyone can view without being prompted to login or signup. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsyHV1WZHn-Hg5Rq-7CznrJaSxOfjw?e=iPGMYS

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk